IGNORED

7800 joystick options

tkarner

I actually got them last week. Here's the scoop...

The good:

• while the cord isn't as long as my genesis controller's cord, it is exactly as long as a 7800 proline controller cord.
  • it works perfectly as a genesis controller out of the box. As expected, the middle button works for 2600 or 7800 one-button games.
  • the buttons actually have some springback, a throw distance, and a soft clicky feel to them. I like them!
  • the direction pad is slightly raised up, imparting a subtle joystick quality. (But nowhere near as raised up as the europad, mind you)
  • it costs ~$5, including shipping.

The bad:

• its made out of a dull finished ABS plastic. The construction is pretty solid, but this makes it feel a bit cheap in the hands, if you know what I mean.
  • you get the typical long wait for shipping that you do with any other DX order.

Overall I'm quite happy with the controller. Were it not for the dull plastic it would be perfect.

Here's the pad, side by side with my 3 button genesis controller...

post-23476-126516357657_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Since I started this thread, here's what I decided to do. I modded a 2600 joystick with a second button. Actually I used an FB2 joystick, for two reasons: a) I like the feel better than a real CX40 and b) there is more free space inside to make mods.

I used a momentary switch (Radio Shack part #275-644) and installed it in the front face of the joystick, below the original button, within easy reach of your left index finger. Minor dremeling involved here. Then I had to replace the FB2 cable with one from a CX24 because you need the extra wires. This involved easy soldering of the wires between the FB2 board and the CX24 cable. Unfortunately they both use different colored wires so you have to sort that out. Also, had to enlarge the hole for the cable since it's thicker.

The trickiest part was figuring out the CX24's circuit for the fire buttons. It's not just two independent buttons. They're linked and there's two resistors on the circuit. So you have to work that out correctly. There's some intermediate level soldering involved here (wires to FB2 board). The original resistors are 620 ohm but I didn't have any laying around so I used 680 ohms. It worked fine.

The results are spectacular. I am rediscovering almost half of the 7800 library, the two button games that I just couldn't play before. My scores are through the roof compared to my old scores with the CX24.

I didn't take a picture of this mod the picture below is of a similar mod I made a while back (that one used a real CX40 and a second cable to use with smartbombs in Stargate and oil/smoke in Spy Hunter on the 2600). With the FB2 I got the second button closer to the original button.

post-3151-126634012593_thumb.jpg