IGNORED

I guess I won't be buying a modern gaming system

JayWI

I realize they're popular, but I feel like I'm drowning in a sea of shooters already.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100121/tc_nm/us_videogames_shooters_life

RALEIGH, North Carolina (Reuters) – Coming to a video game console near you, an onslaught of new military-themed shooter games -- and they're not all for children as game publishers target a more mature audience.

I know how hard it is as a consumer to avoid buying a shooter you don't want and instead pick up one of the MANY other genres that are and have been available to gamers for decade (racing, RPG, action, puzzle, adventure, strategy etc... etc...) , but I have faith that you can do it if you really, really try.

Go get youself a modern gaming system and you'll see how easy it is. Let us know if you need suggestions.

I know how hard it is as a consumer to avoid buying a shooter you don't want and instead pick up one of the MANY other genres that are and have been available to gamers for decade (racing, RPG, action, puzzle, adventure, strategy etc... etc...) , but I have faith that you can do it if you really, really try.

Go get youself a modern gaming system and you'll see how easy it is. Let us know if you need suggestions.

I guess I should have used the < sarcasm > tags not to mention an article about an overrated flooded genre being even more flooded doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I guess I should have used the < sarcasm > tags not to mention an article about an overrated flooded genre being even more flooded doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Me too!!! :P

The argument has been made before but the logic is flawed. For every 1 shooter there are a dozen other types of games you could be focusing on.

Don't believe me?

Just go to Gamestops COMING SOON and check out the console games....

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All Stars = Fighter

Mass Effect 2 = RPG

No More Hero's 2 = Action, Adventure

Fast Food Panic = Simulation

Mag = Shooter

White Knight Chronicles = RPG

Family Party: 30 Great Games Winter Fun = Party games

Dante's Inferno = Action

Bioshock 2 = Action

Star Ocean: Last Hope International = RPG

Super Monkey Ball Step & Roll = Action

Data East Arcade Classics = Action arcade

That is 4 pages in.

Your problem isn't a glut of shooters, your problem is you choose to dwell on them when they come out. :)

Me too!!! :P

The argument has been made before but the logic is flawed. For every 1 shooter there are a dozen other types of games you could be focusing on.

Don't believe me?

Just go to Gamestops COMING SOON and check out the console games....

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All Stars = Fighter

Mass Effect 2 = RPG

No More Hero's 2 = Action, Adventure

Fast Food Panic = Simulation

Mag = Shooter

White Knight Chronicles = RPG

Family Party: 30 Great Games Winter Fun = Party games

Dante's Inferno = Action

Bioshock 2 = Action

Star Ocean: Last Hope International = RPG

Super Monkey Ball Step & Roll = Action

Data East Arcade Classics = Action arcade

That is 4 pages in.

Your problem isn't a glut of shooters, your problem is you choose to dwell on them when they come out. :)

You may be right. I'm just not excited about shooters to make me want to go out and buy a new console.

Buddy of mine just got a Wii. I think I'll visit him this weekend and try it out. I really want to play the new Punch Out for it.

There's shooters on the Wii, too. You better not play it or the shooter game discs you don't own will follow you home from Gamestop and force you to play them.

Yeah those FPSers, which 334365 seem to come out every month, will do that to you. Fortunately I'm developing a new spray called "FPS Away". This spray will cause every copy of an FPS to melt instantly whenever I walk into a game store.

Yeah those FPSers, which 334365 seem to come out every month, will do that to you.

Except this coming month in which case there is 1 shooter being released and 334365 games from other genres

Focus JayWI, focus. :cool:

Damn you and your logic! You're messing up my sarcastic remarks!

The spray....that's true though...I must go to my lab and do further experiments with it muhahahaha!

Yeah those FPSers, which 334365 seem to come out every month, will do that to you.

Except this coming month in which case there is 1 shooter being released and 334365 games from other genres

Focus JayWI, focus. :cool:

[/quote

youre right. the only fps i know of this month is mag. battlefield 2 is the next one in march. they've never been as common as people make them sound.

if anything fighting games, hack 'n slashes and 3rd person action/adventure games have become way more common.

You may be right. I'm just not excited about shooters to make me want to go out and buy a new console.

Dude. There are shooters on every console out there right now. It's a popular genre (though not my cup of tea usually). Still, there are plenty of GREAT games that aren't shooters available. Don't let the popularity of shooters turn you off of what is a great generation of game consoles and games. You're missing out for no good reason whatsoever.

Buy a 360. Buy it right now, today. You'll love it. Here are some non-FPS games you have to play on day 1.

Mass Effect

Matt Hazard: Blood Bath and Beyond (great Metal Slug kind of game. Download game.)

Batman: Arkam Asylum (incredible)

PacMan Championship Edition (download, or get with some 360 arcade systems).

The Force Unleashed (people who don't like it are stupid)

Kameo

Portal (it looks like a shooter. It isn't. It is an action puzzle game. It is the best game that was ever created by anyone.)

That should keep you for a little while.

Buy a 360. Buy it right now, today. You'll love it. Here are some non-FPS games you have to play on day 1.

Mass Effect

Matt Hazard: Blood Bath and Beyond (great Metal Slug kind of game. Download game.)

Kameo

Portal (it looks like a shooter. It isn't. It is an action puzzle game. It is the best game that was ever created by anyone.)

I've been considering a 360. Do all the newer systems have wireless network capabilities? I heard that the PS3 did, but that the 360's was much better.

Mass Effect

Kameo

I've been considering a 360. Do all the newer systems have wireless network capabilities? I heard that the PS3 did, but that the 360's was much better.

Yes and no. Sadly, the 360 is the only console from the Wireless generation to have stuck it out with last generation. You can buy a Wifi adaptor for $100 to do what powerful systems like the PS3, Wii, PSP, DS, iPhone, and iPod touch can do out of the box. Everyone knew going in that Microsoft was releasing inferior hardware to the current wireless generation (heck, they had a model with no intrernal storage and wired controllers on top of no wifi), but there is a workaround if you don't want to spend the extra $100 to enter this generation. I posted a link here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/155199-how-to-network-my-360/page__view__findpost__p__1921870

The 360s online though, once you upgrade the system to current gen standards, is incredible. I have used the Wii online and the 360, and the 360's online offerings are so far ahead that it's not even sensible to compare.

And, all joking aside, the download library for the 360 is the best 2D library I have seen since 1995 or so.

Edited by Atarifever