IGNORED

Flashback 2+ for preorder on Atari.com, get a free T-shirt

Well, the logo is hardly an improvement... ;)

I'll take the actual Atari logo over the infogrames logo any day...

Maybe I didn't get that right, I'd been looking at the pictures here...

So that's actually the old Flashback 2, and the 2+ has got the classic Atari logo?

Yeah, that must be a reused picture of the FB2. See Curt's post for a picture of the actual thing :)

• Like 1

Well, the logo is hardly an improvement... ;)

I'll take the actual Atari logo over the infogrames logo any day...

Maybe I didn't get that right, I'd been looking at the pictures here...

So that's actually the old Flashback 2, and the 2+ has got the classic Atari logo?

Yeah, that must be a reused picture of the FB2. See Curt's post for a picture of the actual thing :)

Glad to know you guy actually read through our posts -

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/156823-flashback-2-for-preorder-on-ataricom-get-a-free-t-shirt/page__view__findpost__p__1924478

• Like 1

Is it possible to buy the Flashback joysticks separate from the system? I once had 100+ Flashback joysticks but I had to buy a 50+ Flashback units to get them.

Agreed, I use the FB2 stick for all my game playing! I too would like to be able to get them separately. :)

They're pretty rugged, but I have broken one so far. The inner plastic part that keeps the joystick aligned in the left/right-up/down direction is the weak link in the current design. If this could be beefed up or some perpendicular cross bracing (as in an "I" beam) then they'd be perfect.

• Like 1

Here's the game listing as posted on the site:

Overall a nice selection of games and variety of genres.

OK, so I'm going to guess that the omission of some of the brighter moments of the Silver and Red series is because of legalities associated with the Williams, Midways and Taitos et al?

Omissions like:

Ms. Pac-Man

Crystal Castles

Jr. Pac-Man

Stargate

Joust

Jungle Hunt

BerZerk

Dig Dug

Galaxian

Space Invaders

Moon Patrol

Phoenix

Midnight Magic

Mario Bros.

Crystal Castles and (to the best of my knowledge) Midnight Magic are both Atari games.

All of these are dogs, in my opinion:

3D Tic Tac Toe

Hangman

Human Cannonball

Space War

Video Checkers

Video Chess

Possibly replace with:

Pole Position

Crystal Castles

Midnight Magic

and three other games you can think of...

Just for conversation...it's not like their going to change the lineup...

Nice list of games that could have been added. They are really a major part of the Atari line up, especially when Activision games are taken out. Why did they leave out Real Sports Tennis? Track and field should have been there too. Bowling is dud, but I would have thrown it in. They mystery game that could have made this fly off the shelf...SiniStar.

• Like 1

Licensing means $$$$

Atari went with only its owned assets on this project. No licenses.

Also Midnight Magic and Dark Chambers are no wholey owned by Atari, so they aren't used.

Curt

Here's the game listing as posted on the site:

Overall a nice selection of games and variety of genres.

OK, so I'm going to guess that the omission of some of the brighter moments of the Silver and Red series is because of legalities associated with the Williams, Midways and Taitos et al?

Omissions like:

Ms. Pac-Man

Crystal Castles

Jr. Pac-Man

Stargate

Joust

Jungle Hunt

BerZerk

Dig Dug

Galaxian

Space Invaders

Moon Patrol

Phoenix

Midnight Magic

Mario Bros.

Crystal Castles and (to the best of my knowledge) Midnight Magic are both Atari games.

All of these are dogs, in my opinion:

3D Tic Tac Toe

Hangman

Human Cannonball

Space War

Video Checkers

Video Chess

Possibly replace with:

Pole Position

Crystal Castles

Midnight Magic

and three other games you can think of...

Just for conversation...it's not like their going to change the lineup...

Nice list of games that could have been added. They are really a major part of the Atari line up, especially when Activision games are taken out. Why did they leave out Real Sports Tennis? Track and field should have been there too. Bowling is dud, but I would have thrown it in. They mystery game that could have made this fly off the shelf...SiniStar.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, Track and Field and Sinistar would have required new licenses (from Konami and Williams, respectively).

EDIT: Curt beat me to it. Also, I don't think it's especially productive for us to engage in idle speculation about which games woulda/coulda/shoulda been included. Atari wanted to limit itself to its own assets to save money while establishing a unique "theme" for the FB2+, and using the sports titles was the most logical way to achieve both goals, so I don't have any problem with the game lineup. I'm just delighted to see a new iteration of the FB2 coming out. Think about it: the FB2+ coming out in 2010 makes the Atari 2600 the only game console to be commercially sold over four consecutive decades!

• Like 1

What's the Adventure II on here? I assume it is a hack of Adventure, and not the homebrew game for the 5200.

The last Flashback 2 had AdvII on it as well - it is the Atari 2600 "version" of Adventure II. It uses some of the maps and ideas from 5200 AdvII but is actually a memory-enhanced reprogramming of 2600 Adventure. (right Curt?)

My question: Atari Climber was removed ... for LEGAL REASONS? Atari Climber was a renaming of Debro's game Climber 5. Care to explain the legal reasons?

• Like 1

My question: Atari Climber was removed ... for LEGAL REASONS? Atari Climber was a renaming of Debro's game Climber 5. Care to explain the legal reasons?

Which was not Debro's game. He ported it from a game that appeared in Compute! magazine. There were licensing issues with the Compute! owners. This is one of the prime reasons I keep warning authors and others on here about not working with properties you don't own, or getting permission first. It always come back to bite you. In this case, it also bit us.

Hence, no Atari Climber.

• Like 1

So if these are modded with the cartridge slot, will they work with the Harmony? I believe it was the Illegal Opcode support that caused the issue, right? And that these may have that support now?

It was write timing that caused the issue. The Harmony menu relies on SARA chip style writes, and SARA games on cart do not work on FB2s.

The incomplete illegal opcode support prevents it from working with some homebrew games (and particularly, batari Basic games.)

We have discussed some ways where it might be possible to work around the write timing issue with the Harmony menu but that is low priority right now.

This is awesome news! I still have my FB2 with box, and hook it up for play every now and then...

LATER: aw, only available in the US... :-(

Awww... craptacular! icon_frown.gif (We Canadians always get the shaft for these special releases.) Edited by atwwong

This is awesome news! I still have my FB2 with box, and hook it up for play every now and then...

LATER: aw, only available in the US... :-(

Awww... craptacular! icon_frown.gif

When I ordered, there was a shipping option called "Canada" for $34.29. Why would they have it if they don't ship there?

• Like 1

4. Wizard was pulled because it really has no play value to it.

Wow, based on this and a couple other comments, I guess I am the only person who owns a Flashback 2 and actually likes/plays Wizard. It is in the top 5 games I play on the system.

I am glad to see the Flashback going to market again and happy that so many AA members like what they see. Unfortunately I am not a fan of the Atari sports games and my favorite 4 games are no longer included. So for me it is a non-starter.

I do think this is a good opportunity for those people who don't have a Flashback 2.

• Like 1

That is correct.

I had a lot of issues tracking all of the objects in the larger amount of rooms in ADV II and occassionally you'll see a "hiccup" in the game - the screen will bounce, its the bat moving from one location to another and it always caused me problems.

I tried to implement as much of the "feel" of 5200 ADV II into the game and used all of the same kingdoms, the hidden mazes, the dark hedge maze and such, so its a mini version of Cafeman's 5200 ADV II.

I've actually started working on ADV III and hopefully by Summer it'll be ready, I learned a LOT from reading the 2600 programming section and I think I know how to fix the issues with the larger amount of rooms and I think I'll be able to add more objects and enemies, we'll see...

Curt

What's the Adventure II on here? I assume it is a hack of Adventure, and not the homebrew game for the 5200.

The last Flashback 2 had AdvII on it as well - it is the Atari 2600 "version" of Adventure II. It uses some of the maps and ideas from 5200 AdvII but is actually a memory-enhanced reprogramming of 2600 Adventure. (right Curt?)

• Like 1

Batari wrote that he can see an option for Canada shipping, but when I look at the web page from here in BC, all I see is a message stating "This offer is not available in your area".

Perhaps they will add foreign orders in the future but I won't hold my breath...

• Like 1