IGNORED

Flashback 2+ for preorder on Atari.com, get a free T-shirt

It looks, to my understanding, exactly like the original FB2, and this time around it has Double Dunk, Realsports Boxing, Realsports Soccer, Super Baseball and Super Football. The two Activision games are no longer there and neither are Cavern of Mars and Atari Climber. Other than that its the exact same product as the FB2... except now you can order it and it comes with a Free T-shirt.

I'd think a cart port could be added to this as well. I imagine Curt can talk to us now and tell us more :) .

Edited by TwinChargers

This makes sense to me. Re-use the Flashback 2 technology, but freshen it up with a new selection of games. Hopefully this will bring in some extra revenue to help fund the Flashback 3. I too hope that Lunar Lander and Yars' Return are the improved versions; I don't see why they wouldn't be, since they would have had to compile a new collection of software, and it would have been just as easy to use the new versions. I suppose that the Activision games were left out because they would have made the unit more expensive; I'm sure the Atari sports titles were cheaper to license.

It looks, to my understanding, exactly like the original FB2, and this time around it has Double Dunk, Realsports Boxing, Realsports Soccer, Super Baseball and Super Football. The two Activision games are no longer there and neither are Cavern of Mars and Atari Climber. Other than that its the exact same product as the FB2... except now you can order it and it comes with a Free T-shirt.

I'd think a cart port could be added to this as well. I imagine Curt can talk to us now and tell us more :) .

The pictures used on the site are wrong, it looks the same except for the logos which are now the new "old" Atari logos.

And yes, the Activision and several other games that had licensing issues have been replaced with sports games. I did the full box and pack-in manual this time around (as opposed to last time where we had to play the "keep the revision straight" game with the graphic arts company they insisted on using).

The board should be the same as the Rev. C's.

• Like 1

The pictures used on the site are wrong, it looks the same except for the logos which are now the new "old" Atari logos.

And yes, the Activision and several other games that had licensing issues have been replaced with sports games. I did the full box and pack-in manual this time around (as opposed to last time where we had to play the "keep the revision straight" game with the graphic arts company they insisted on using).

:cool:

Sounds awesome, I will preorder one, just have three questions though...

So those graphics problems with Yars' Revenge and Lunar Lander are now the fixed ones?

Which version of Millipede is it?

Hidden "1972" Paddle games still there?

Thanks in advance,

Rick Vendl II

Edited by TrekkiELO

Thanks for the info Marty. Seeing on how the Atari site is covering the front FB logo on the woodgrain with everything from a T-Shirt to a controller, I figured that there might be some slight logo revision that they haven't had made up yet.

• Like 1

:cool:

Sounds awesome, I will preorder one, just have three questions though...

So those graphics problems with Yars' Revenge and Lunar Lander are now the fixed ones?

Which version of Millipede is it?

Hidden "1972" Paddle games still there?

Thanks in advance,

Rick Vendl II

I remember Curt saying in another post something about a new hidden game, guess we'll have to see what thats all about.

• Like 1

Good for people who didn't pick up a Flashback 2 the first time around, but disappointing for those of us looking for the next machine. I hope this sells well to enable new product, but I just don't know. Atari must still be in pretty dire financial straights though if they have to go with a "+" version of the same exact thing that already had its time on the market.

• Like 1

Wizard is also gone, wonder why, it was an Atari prototype, so no licensing issues would be apparent!

:?

Rick

Okay, so now that its public now...

1. Pitfall! and River Raid were removed so as not to have to pay licensing fee's

2. Atari Climber was removed for legal reasons

3. Caverns of Mars was also removed because apparently there was an off the books side contract with the original APX author, so that title is now gone.

4. Wizard was pulled because it really has no play value to it.

So a new Menu section - Sports Arena has been added, Double Dunk, RS Boxing, RS Soccer, Super Baseball and Super Football have been added.

5. There is still the hidden menu, it was changed to be called the "Top Secret" menu as not only was an additional Paddle Game added, but also originally another game was added that used a special controller. We only had a month to blow the dust off this thing, add the new games, do the manual, box and test things out. So unfortunately despite numerous quick fixes, the game could not be made to work without changing the layout of the board, adding in some traces and doing a new PCB - this had to be kept at a zero hardware change, so we couldn't do it.... So unfortunately the game I wanted included in the hidden menu was Star Raiders, but the voltage of the system is 3.3v and not 5v and the video touch pad has a pair of (I think, its late, I'm tired) 380 ohm resistors. We just couldn't get the game to make nicey nice with the keypad voltage and couldn't get it to keep going back to galactic map all of the time. Its a shame and I really wanted that game included as I know everyone would've loved and appreciated having it in there, but it just didn't happen.

6. The other Hidden Game? - You'll find out when someone unlocks the hidden menu and posts a message, I'm not telling :-P

7. We've had a PAL version of the chip sitting and waiting for 4 years now, so if Atari likes how sales go, we can get this into UK/Europe in a PAL version.

8. Yes - Lunar Lander and Yars' Return have been updated. Dennis Debro and I spoke, we didn't get the submission into the system in time, so his fix to Asteroids Deluxe unfortunately didn't make it in.

This is why the console is the 2+ and not 3, its just some minor updates and changes to the existing product, keeping costs down, Atari is trying to dip its toes in the waters to see about FB3 and other products, so if you can spread the word, really rally the support, it will help build Atari's confidence in getting back and staying back into hardware and hopefully they'll seriously consider the FB Portable and put it on deck for this holiday season.

Board is Rev C and I haven't fully tested things out yet, but I submitted a new tape out quite a long time ago that had the Illegal Opcode corrections, I don't know with the tight budget, if the updated chips are on these new consoles yet.

post-23-126412040098_thumb.jpg

post-23-126412040667_thumb.jpg

Curt

• Like 3

Thanks for the update Curt. Will the joysticks have the same button as the USB joysticks (soft press) or the traditional 'click'-able one?

Sorry to hear about the Star Raiders problems, that would have definitely been a very cool addition.

(on an off-topic question - are there button replacements for the USB joysticks available? I thought there was mention of these to replace the stock button to having that 'click' tactile response rather than the current soft press response)

Edited by mckafka99
  • Like 1

Hi,

Yes, email me direct - online.sales@legacyengineer.com about the buttons and how many you need and I'll send you out the upgraded ones.

Curt

Thanks for the update Curt. Will the joysticks have the same button as the USB joysticks (soft press) or the traditional 'click'-able one?

Sorry to hear about the Star Raiders problems, that would have definitely been a very cool addition.

(on an off-topic question - are there button replacements for the USB joysticks available? I thought there was mention of these to replace the stock button to having that 'click' tactile response rather than the current soft press response)

• Like 1

Yup, now that its up, we can now admit to that. Actually that was how we were originally approached, to do a very small run of consoles as give aways and then it grew into Target and from what I've heard, possibly Walmart now wanting them too, so keep your eyes open as I'm sure more previous retailers will want to jump back into carrying these again as they sold so well and so fast the first time.

Curt

Just so people know, it's also being given away as part of the Atari related prizes through General Mills cereals -

http://generalmills.promo.eprize.com/retrogamegiveaway/

• Like 1