IGNORED

Simple Stereo + IO Board

Stephen

Are there any detailed hookup instructions for installing the above 2 boards in a 130XE? I have looked over on spiflash.org, but all I can find there is pictures of the prototype boards.

Stephen Anderson

There are a lot of other files at spiflash, but for some reason Candle does not have them all linked... here are the schematics from his page...

SimpleStereo.pdf

And here are a couple files I did (and no laughing at how crap they are)... these are what I used to install in my PAL XL. Candle verified they are fairly correct, beyond these you will have to contact Candle directly. (I'll be in chat some this week too)

post-6732-126439747806_thumb.jpg

interconnections.xls

• Like 1

Are there any detailed hookup instructions for installing the above 2 boards in a 130XE? I have looked over on spiflash.org, but all I can find there is pictures of the prototype boards.

Stephen Anderson

There are a lot of other files at spiflash, but for some reason Candle does not have them all linked... here are the schematics from his page...

SimpleStereo.pdf

And here are a couple files I did (and no laughing at how crap they are)... these are what I used to install in my PAL XL. Candle verified they are fairly correct, beyond these you will have to contact Candle directly. (I'll be in chat some this week too)

post-6732-126439747806_thumb.jpg

interconnections.xls

I did find the schematics. Thanks for these as well - I was just being lazy. I have schematics for my 130XE, so I will spend some time this week doing the point to point stuff and making the wiring harnesses.

Stephen Anderson

Question - on the IO Board, I hope the pins for J4 and others are numbered 1 to 9, from left to right. Is that correct? Also, where is pin 1 on J21 and J2? Speaking of J21, the docs I have refer to a J22 but there is not one. Under J21 is an R22, I am assuming that's where the misprint was from?

post-650-126492018814_thumb.jpg

Candle will be providing me with a wiring diagram soon.

Stephen Anderson

J22 is a little hidden, it's bottom left below the green cap... Circled in this picture (poorly I hasten to add)

post-6732-126492320439_thumb.jpg

You are correct in the thinking J2 - J7 are 1 through x left to right (as you have the board oriented in your photo)

As for J21 & J22 orientation I don't remember of the top of my head, but I traced ground on both to figure that out...

Pin #1 is always marked with SQUARE pad, and square on silkscreen layer (the layer of the board with all kinds of markings on it)

Is there a file out of the silkscreen? I have the board layout, schematics, and silkscreen layers for the SS board, but couldn't find anything similar for the IO.

Stephen Anderson

• 2 months later...

I'm almost finished with installing the Simple Stereo + IO board. SIO2PC is working at high speed. I have stereo Pokey and Covox can be heard as well. And the AKI interface works great. But I have a few questions.

I want to toggle stereo pokey on/off and switch the covox between D280/D600. Can I just connect a toggle switch between J3-pin 15 and ground for stereo on/off and J3-pin 14 and ground for covox D280/D600? Or do I need a pull-up resistor?

I don't think there is any reason to disable the covox so I won't install a switch for that.

On the picture you posted in the Simple Stereo 3 thread, you connected SIO clock in and SIO clock out. Without connecting these, SIO2PC works fine so is connecting SIO clock needed for any special features?

In the IO board package, you included a capacitor of 1000 micro Farad. Is that needed for something?

What is the best way to conect the mono output of the SS board to the monitor port? I suppose I can disable the U1 (LM358) circuit (cut R6 and pin 1 LM358) and connect mono out between R8 and R10 so also the modulator gets the mono audio signal. Cassette audio will be disabled then but for the one tape that uses it I don't care. Or is there a better way to connect the mono out to the monitor port?

When I connect the 12V line between the IO and SS board, I get an annoying, clearly audible, high frequency tone in the audio output (both via the stereo out as well as the unmodified monitor audio out.) It sounds to me that the 12 voltage created on the IO board is not stable but swings. When I connect just 5V on the 12V input, then there is no high frequency tone but then the covox audio is not good.

Must I use the included 1000 uF capacitor between the 12V/gnd lines to stabilize it?

Thanks.

Robert

1) in theory it should work without one, but install it if You encounter any problems

2) for now sio clock lines are not supported by AspeQT - at least in public release, so i have to wait for Fatih before i could answer that question

3) yest, it should be placed near the point You'll take the 5V for DC/DC converter from, and it should be as near as possible to the io-board - lenght of the wires also matters as it tends to pick up digital noise from Atari motherboard and it all transfer to audio

4) use 1uF mkt/mkse capacitor connected in series with 2k resistor, R10 should be taken off the Atari board (marking for 800XL, should be still valid for XE series)

5) thats why there is 1000uF cap in the package for - it should be placed on 5V side of the DC/DC converter

amplification of amplifier circuit on simple-stereo is quite high, so it is vital that 12V line is stable - on oscilloscope without that cap there is 80mVp-p noise and this is too much

if that not helps, please change C21 capacitor (smd) on IO-board from 680pF to 270pF - this should take care for the remaining whininig sound You may hear

Sebastian