IGNORED

How to get ST images onto real ST disk ?

dougal22

I have always been an Amiga guy, but i recently got my hands on a 1040STe. This machine is in great condition and works really well but i have no games for it.

I have got loads of ST disk images on my PC and was wondering how i should go about transferring them to a real ST disk so that i can play them on my STe

With the Amiga I know its disk format cannot be read on the PC but i don't know about the ST. Is there a special software or cable i can use?

This is discussed here zillion times. Please use search...

I guess a definitive guide should be written and stickied.

Hi. You did say you were transferring from your PC right?

Try here:

http://ppera.07x.net/atari/floimgd.php

Hope this helps! :)

Well, for myself I never suggest alpha software that may cause problems due to bugs that were being denied by the author until they were found by the author.

Personally I prefer to use either a real atari with ghostlink a null modem cable and a program like Jaymsa, or MSA2ST to convert msa images to st and HDCopy. Both solutions have worked reliably for a long time with reliably being the key word.

• Like 1

I guess a definitive guide should be written and stickied.

Well, for myself I never suggest alpha software that may cause problems due to bugs that were being denied by the author until they were found by the author.

I agree with first part. Alpha SW ? Updated during years. No bugs there.

• Like 1

Well it has caused problems to some people. Unfortunately the author doesn't like to communicate and he has a very bad attitude when bugs are discovered. For example a couple of years ago he was told of a bug that could erase mbr's and write a few things on the partition table on the C: of a windows PC. He denied it in rage until only recently when he discovered the bug himself. I think people's data are too important to be taken lightly.

• Like 1

Well it has caused problems to some people. Unfortunately the author doesn't like to communicate and he has a very bad attitude when bugs are discovered. For example a couple of years ago he was told of a bug that could erase mbr's and write a few things on the partition table on the C: of a windows PC. He denied it in rage until only recently when he discovered the bug himself. I think people's data are too important to be taken lightly.

You completely misunderstood the whole MBR thing. Myself DL-ed hard disk image, and it did not autoboot on Atari. But all data was there, and it was possible to access it when load driver from floppy. As is explained, problem is caused by Windows XP's writing of some signature in MBR, what destroyed Atari checksum, and nothing else. And author suplied short proggy for fixing that problem (permanently) right next day. So, no erasing of MBR happened. Especially nothing was written on C partition of Windows. MBR on SD card is not partition table of C: on PC :twisted: Actually, you talk nonsense. There is no "partition table on the C: of a windows PC" - partition table is in MBR. On C, or D... etc. may be only usual parameters, boot code (if active part.) for those partitions self . Obviously, you are not competent to judge about this things.

• Like 1

You completely misunderstood the whole MBR thing. Myself DL-ed hard disk image, and it did not autoboot on Atari. But all data was there, and it was possible to access it when load driver from floppy. As is explained, problem is caused by Windows XP's writing of some signature in MBR, what destroyed Atari checksum, and nothing else. And author suplied short proggy for fixing that problem (permanently) right next day. So, no erasing of MBR happened. Especially nothing was written on C partition of Windows. MBR on SD card is not partition table of C: on PC :twisted: Actually, you talk nonsense. There is no "partition table on the C: of a windows PC" - partition table is in MBR. On C, or D... etc. may be only usual parameters, boot code (if active part.) for those partitions self . Obviously, you are not competent to judge about this things.

2+ years = next day? My dear fellow (and I assume you're not the author, since he got banned from here and wouldn't dare to reigster here under a false nickname), you have a very twisted conception of time...

• Like 1

Easily offended people might want to leave the spoiler safely alone, Hungarian Trolls may wish to have a peek inside:

yoda.jpg

Seriously though, I'm not sure you're helping the guy out by discussing technical mumbo jumbo after first dismissing him with a 'fro & use search' reply, you've got EAB to use for that kind of 'fun' & your own forum, no need to bring it here.

What Christos wrote here is ridiculous and inaccurate. Author did not discover any bugs which are harmful for datas on floppies or hard disks. "I think people's data are too important to be taken lightly. " . What a discovery - I never knew it :twisted: .

Maybe to learn little about related things, terms as MBR, partition table, disc structures etc. Then you may start to communicate with SW author. Writing nonsenses is not the right way when posting bug-report.

Myself did not experience any data loss. corruption with PP's SW. And I tested his SW a lot.

Then, I did not see any data loss reportings in forums. Program is easy to use with standard disks. With non-standard ones some basic knowledge is necessary.

Fact is that we have only 2 programs for Windows XP, which are usable with Atari floppies (800KB format for instance): Floppy Imager and OmniFlop . Second works with some predefined floppy formats in limited count, and lacks many functions present in first. And both programs use special floppy driver instead Win XP's limited one.

• Like 1

Fact is that we have only 2 programs for Windows XP, which are usable with Atari floppies (800KB format for instance): Floppy Imager and OmniFlop . Second works with some predefined floppy formats in limited count, and lacks many functions present in first. And both programs use special floppy driver instead Win XP's limited one.

You are quite wrong. In this page: http://dbug.kicks-ass.net/dbug/extras.htm there are a couple more suggestions. HD-Copy has worked flawlessly even in Windows XP in years dealing with 800k disks.

• Like 1

Here is the best info you need.

Off-topic, but your [above] "Let me Google that for you" thing there is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. Not often I laugh out loud at the computer; thanks for that. Where do people get these things? :) :)

Thanks! I stumbled upon this myself recently and think it's funny as heck too. It's awesome huh?! ;)

Edited by tjlazer