IGNORED

Collection Inventory

knb023

As im sure most of us keep an inventory or our Gaming collection, How do you guys do it. IE..Do you write your games down on paper of what you have, Do you use MS Word, Exel? I was kind of looking for a program that i could get to keep it organized with a drop box to pick the console, and then manually add my games, and maybe pictures of the items.. Just would like to see what you guys use, if anything and maybe some ideas.. Thanks

Two ways. One is in an Excel database. It tells me what pieces I have and the their condition.

For example if I search Enemy Zero for the Saturn, it will tell me that I have the book, front cover, all four disc sleeves, the pack-in ads, and that everything is in good condition. If I pull up Name This Game for the 2600, it'll tell me that I have the handle cart, the top label looks good, and the end label is missing some ink. (well, actually it won't since I haven't added Name This Game yet). I do the same thing with my movies.

The second way is simply by keeping them organized. If there's something missing or out of whack in the database, I pull the game and check it.

There are some free downloadable programs like Cart Commander, and a few others that are for sale.

Some have mentioned Excel, but I steer away from it because it has no database functionality.

Best answer is create your own MS Access database. Just be sure to set it up with all the different categories you may want to search for in the future. For instance, if you want to find all Genesis games you have made by Acclaim, then you have to have "system" and "manufacturer" as a data fields in your database. If you include year of release, then you can search for all NES games released in 1988, for example. Possibilities are endless with a good database.

I open the cupboards, sweep over the cartridges - if I don't find a game in the first 30 seconds, I assume I don't have it yet and buy it on the internets.

I usually stop making this mistake after I acquire three or four copies. :roll:

Nah, I'm just kiddin' guys, it's all committed to memory.

I keep a list in OpenOffice spreadsheet (it does have database functions like sort and filter (and it's free). I started keeping a list so I wouldn't have to spend extra money on doubles. Also, after you have a certain number of games, it's hard to remember if you have, for example, NBA Jam in a box with instructions for every system it came out on, or exactly which version of Madden you still need.

For a long time, I still bought doubles anyway, for no good reason.

(Didn't we have a thread about this a couple of months ago?)

Edited by fiddlepaddle

I use the site backloggery.com. You could see my game collection there in my sig. There are sme cool features, like a random game selector that picks something for you to play, the ability to add friends, check out their collections, designate games as beaten, etc.

anyway, I totally recommend checking out backloggery.com. I dig it

Currently I'm working on a site in PHP that connects to a SQL db so I can update and check from anywhere. Considering I've never used PHP before it's interesting. I have a little bit of what I've done live so I can check my 2600 games. (except the database needs updated) If you click the search form you can search by Name, Manufacturer, or Rarity (based on Digit Press guide currently I may switch to the one here eventually) and then it displays a table with the results. Considering I've never had much experience in PHP I'm proud of myself. =P

www.8-bit-skaarg.tk

There are some free downloadable programs like Cart Commander, and a few others that are for sale.

Some have mentioned Excel, but I steer away from it because it has no database functionality.

Best answer is create your own MS Access database. Just be sure to set it up with all the different categories you may want to search for in the future. For instance, if you want to find all Genesis games you have made by Acclaim, then you have to have "system" and "manufacturer" as a data fields in your database. If you include year of release, then you can search for all NES games released in 1988, for example. Possibilities are endless with a good database.

I use an Excel spreadsheet. Although I agree that a database could provide more flexibility, you can easily do all of the things you just described in Excel through the use of its filtering ability.

I don't know why you would need a spreadsheet or database. Someone would have to explain that to me...

Reason I say that: all my carts are in tubs or wooden crates and are arranged alphabetically. If I need to check if I need a cart for my collection off of eBay or GameGavel I simply look to see what I have and it's done. Most of the time, I know in my head what I already have.

If I go to a gaming convention, I have a price guide that lists all the games for the consoles I collect. I generate a want list before the show along with the prices documented in the price guide. I take the list with me and cross them off as I go along.

I use a spreadsheet, where I note the title, publisher & system for all of them, and then put any notes in that may be relevant (e.g., if it's missing instructions or in poor shape or something like that).

I've thought about using a general-purpose database or one of the prepackaged and specialized database products, but I just can't get up the desire to enter all that data. I don't really need to store much info about each game.

I do find it worthwhile to keep the spreadsheet up to date, though. I should probably put more detailed condition information in there someday...

Why a spreadsheet? It saves lifting those heavy tubs or moving a tipsy stack of carts. It saves you digging out a particular cart from the back corner of your storage area just to see if you have it. In a second you can see which titles you want to search for when you go on the hunt. You can't take the tubs with you into the wild, but you could take a printout of your spreadsheet.

I don't know why you would need a spreadsheet or database. Someone would have to explain that to me...

I have around 850 distinct titles currently, and only about 200 of them are kept out and easily accessible. The rest are typically stored or put away.

I generally know what I have, but there are always a few titles which slip through the cracks. Over 800 titles is a lot for me to remember. So, I keep my spreadsheet so I can look up what I have.

The only information I keep track of is the System, Game Title, and last year I started recording the date I purchased the game.

After you have been collecting games for as long as I have you dont need an inventory list any longer. You know what you have by just seeing it. When you go into a game store and look at the games out on the shelf..You know when you see one that you don't have cause you have never seen it before.

Prime example of this is atari games. If you come across an atari game you never seen before...pick it up. You probaly dont have it. if you do have it it is probaly a variant.

I was at my Game Crazy today. Saw a game I never saw before for the PS2. Some old ass game. Took it home and sure enough. I had it already but this one was a special edition. It came with a comic on the inside of the packaging.

Go for a list at the beginning then it will all sink in...

:D

I keep it all in my head. It's easier that way.

Keep it in my head? My collection now totals over 800 games spanning over 24 consoles and handhelds. There's no WAY I could remember that. Einstein has been reported to have said "Never memorize what you can look up on your iPhone." Well, he would have said that if he had one!

I have a Google docs spread sheet that I can access on my iPhone and any computer I have internet access.