IGNORED

School Project

dr. kwack

Bear with me here... I'm a Junior High science teacher. Taught science for the first three years of my career, then taught technology for seven, now I'm back in science.

I try to do as much hands on stuff with my kids as I can because IMHO it's the best (perhaps only) way to learn science skills, especially with the 7th/8th grade crowd.

We just started a new unit on Space. I've never had to teach it in the past but have always been interested in the material. I wanted to do a really cool project with my kids. It hit me the other day-

For its time, Activision's Space Shuttle was pretty sophisticated. I remeber it made a splash in schools when it came out- a video game that could teach!

Now for the past 11 years I have brought in my Atari 2600 at the end of the year/before Christmas break for the kids to play and they love it. It has become a tradition to play in my class- pretty much a demand.

I thought- wouldn't it be cool to build an enclosed "Flight Simulator" unit using Space Shuttle as my software. It's simple enough for the kids to use, although watered down (which is fine for 45 minute periods) it does give the sim experience, and it exposes them to classic games (a perk for me).

A fellow teacher who is good at woodworking is helping me build the enclosure, we have some pretty cool ideas and if all goes as planned, I will post our progress here when I can.

So far I am looking at the following details- Heavy Sixer simply because it has all switches on the front for easy access.

Captain style chair with a Spectravision style flightgrip stick mounted on the right arm.

Pretty much a simplified 1983 Atari Star Wars sit down model design with one open side for entry.

There are other ideas pending but this is a start. Hope it progresses!

Interesting! Hadn't considered sound. The few teachers/Atari fans I have discussed this with have offered many ideas that could potentially be added to future versions or modifications.

I do want to split the signal so the kid in the sim can see and so the game can be projected on my white board. I've also considered connecting the student to a headset so we can hear him and installing a video camera inside so we can watch him.

Thanks all for the kind words and encouragement. Wasn't sure if this would come off as dumb or not, but y'know if it helps the kids learn or at the very least gives a positive memory of school (my district is the one of the lowest income in the county- a good percentage of my kids have better things to care/worry about than school) then it's worth it.

Yes, Nova, Challenger will be honored- we already talked about it last week and these kids had no idea. They were surprised I remembered where I was (6th grade at home with the chicken pox!) and some were truly shocked at the event.

I will do my best to keep things going here and will gladly accept any criticisms/suggestions. Thanks folks!

Wow!

I wish we had a teacher like you when I was at school (although I did have an Atari at home then... :| )

This sounds like a great idea.

If you are going to split the signal it would be worth performing an A/V MOD on the atari as splitting an RF signal can cause a snowy image (especially when run through a signal amplifier.)

Can't wait to see some photo's of the Cab... What a great idea!

And you are spreading your love and knowledge of the 2600 too!

When I was in 7th & 8th grade I was lucky enough to have a science teacher like you, dr. kwack. His name was Mr. Beck, and he was a hands-on, real-world teacher. Lots of cool learning experiments. He really made an impact with us, as I'm sure you are with your students. You can be sure that your students will never forget your classes, and I'll bet your Shuttle simulator cabin will be a big hit.

Almost makes me want to go back to 7th grade and take your class when you get it up and running! Almost... :)

I don't think I'm speaking out of place here: You are now required to let us know how the inaugural "flight" goes! With pictures and student commentary!

-tet

This is just a great idea and I am sure you are a wonderful teacher. I had a teacher who taught me tons about WWI by playing the board game Diplomacy--I am reminded of that experience and what a great teacher he was for making learning fun (and cutthroat!). Best of luck with your project--it sounds awesome. Lucky kids.

This is a really cool idea. Like others have mentioned, be sure to take pictures of the building process then of course the finished cabinet. You could even take it a step further and put the cabinet on hydraulics so it moves around, sort of like how Star Tours is at Disneyland :)

Again, thanks for the encouragement! :)

OK- step one is complete. I filled out my requisitions today for materials and they were immediately signed by my building principal. Total cost is around $110. Now I have to wait on the OK from the Treasurer's office and I can by my stuff.

Should come out under cost as the manager of the local Lowe's said he can do a school discount.

OK! I had the day off for the holiday today. My co-worker came over and we got going on the cabinet. With th exception of the platform the joystick will be secured to and some painting, it's done. I will be posting pics later this evening at the project webpage...

project webpage

Can't wait to see the pics. Very nice to see you using old school Atari as an education tool in 2010. Awesome!

Would it be able to take other carts? I'm pretty sure it will, but just checking. Then you could use Star Wars Arcade, Survival Run, Bugs, and other First Person games with it, which would be way cool.

Good luck on the project. I remember when I was 7 that i made A "Space Ship" out of a bunch of shoe boxes, water gun, light up Yo-Yo's, and a GBA in the "cockpit". It fell apart the second day. :(

Arrghh!! Sorry for the delay in pics everyone! :x I'm having some issues getting the page to come out the way I want. They will be up soon!

In the meantime-

Yes, the system will accept other carts. The big plan is to use Space Shuttle now (during the space unit) and during the physics unit to do a little flying with F-14 Tomcat.

Recent additions include: installed a strip of LED lights in the cabinet- it is dark in there! Also added a small battery operated flourescent light above the 2600 to illuminate the control panel.

A black curtain has been placed in the entry door. I think this is a little wiser than a completely closed in box.

I also have labeled the control switches so the kids understand what they do (as most would have no idea what a color/bw or left/right difficulty switch is). I also color coded the switches to make things a bit easier.

Tomorrow I am going to install a two way radio/headset in the cabinet so we can have a mission control/pilot communication thing going.

As per requested here, I am also stenciling a small tribute to STS 51-L (Challenger) and STS 107 (Columbia) inside above the monitor.

I am currently waiting for a vinyl NASA logo for the outside.

Very exciting! Again thanks for the kind words. I promise pics will be up on my webpage soon.

And Animan- I too was a builder of all things cardboard. Boxes were a major event. I remember when Tron first came out I so badly wanted a computer (to do all that cool stuff Flynn did! ;) ), I built one out of a cardboard box. It lasted about a week or so.

Fantastic project, Dr. Kwack.

I'm sure the kids will love this and that they will have fond memories of this experience when they are older.

Perhaps this Activision Space Shuttle video is interesting to watch or show.

It's the left one at the bottom of this page:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-space-shuttle-a-journey-into-space_7486.html

Perhaps you can print out some patches as well (being certificates for completing a succesful mission).

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

How are you planning on sending the signal to the projector for others to see? I assume you will either need a modded Atari, or use something like a VCR to convert "Channel 3" to a pure A/V signal.

Also if you have access to another projector or monitor, you could put another camera inside the "cockpit" so that "Mission Control" can see the pilot.