IGNORED

Xbox Live support is ending for the original Xbox

Hyper_Eye

Xbox Live support for the original Xbox and all of its titles will end on Apr. 15th of this year. Microsoft claims this is necessary in order to move forward with new Xbox Live features. This is pretty disappointing for someone like me who still regularly plays on Live with their original Xbox. Luckily we have Xlink Kai and online play for the original Xbox will never die. Major Nelson's entry on this is here: http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/02/05/xbox-live-being-discontinued-for-original-xbox-consoles-and-games.aspx

I wanted to let you know that on April 15, 2010 Microsoft will discontinue Xbox LIVE service for original Xbox consoles and games, including Xbox 1 games playable on Xbox 360. Our first step in this process will be to turn off auto-renewals for those members who only use Xbox LIVE on a v1 Xbox. While I can’t comment on the specifics, this change will allow us to continue evolving the LIVE service with new features and experiences that fully harness the power of Xbox 360 and the Xbox LIVE community. We did not make this decision lightly, but after careful consideration and review we realize that this decision will allow us unprecedented flexibility for future features.

Xbox LIVE general manager Marc Whitten (Gamertag Notwen) has posted this letter to the community which provides additional context.

The best is yet to come, and we look forward to sharing more details in the near future.

What this probably means is there weren't enough original Xbox owners left for it to be profitable anymore.

The Live service that provides service to Xbox owners is the same that provides service to 360 users. Any subscribers at all is enough because the service is running anyway. Providing lists of running games to users requires very very little and the size of the DLC for Xbox was quite small as well. I don't doubt the reasoning behind the discontinuation of service. Maintaining compatibility with the original Xbox holds Live back in a number of ways including the 100 friends limit. Moving Live beyond the original design is a completely sensible thing to do. It is disappointing is all. Anyone that didn't think this would happen one day hasn't payed attention to the history of services like this especially when it comes to consoles. The way I feel about this is the same as I felt about the death of Sega Channel. I'm going to miss it but my Xbox is still going to be a great console.

Also, this applies to original Xbox games on Xbox 360 as well. There are still thousands's of users logging into Halo 2 every day. Counter-Strike has hundreds of regular players. There are games that are still very active.

Edited by Hyper_Eye

Microsoft has already pulled all DLC for original Xbox titles. Now that is a bitch move. So much for fair warning.

So what does this mean with original XBox games that I bought on XBox Live with the 360? I bought some original downloadable XBox games like Pirates and Intelivision Lives. Will I still be able to play those? Those games don't even have XBox Live support.

Heh, so what's going to happen to the content people downloaded (and may want to access again in the future) on the original XBOX, like XBLA games? Hmmmm....

They're going to have to hope their console survives with the DLC already on it. If they don't currently have the DLC, they're out of luck since there won't be a way for them to redownload it.

Are the game patches, XBLA games, and game expansions available out there on the internet for people to download to modded consoles? Seems like it will be the only way in the future to keep that stuff.

I'm not sure where that comment is directed towards, but I did hope DLC would be made free at the end like the Halo 2 maps always were after a certain amount of time.

I personally know that Bizarre Creations had campaigned for the Paris and Long Beach booster packs for Project Gotham Racing 2 to be made free (People were having to rebuy the content to play the game on their 360 or replaced Xbox consoles due to how the system worked back then, content purchases were tied to a specific console and not your gamertag).

But they had no luck. Instead, they just pulled all DLC before this announcement rather than making it free and giving us a warning to get what we wanted before April.

Even though it's far off for the 360, it really goes to show how they will most-likely treat downloaded purchases in the future, something I showed concern about in another thread. Better start making plans on storing multiple harddrives in the future for your 360s, people.. With the amount I've invested in XBLA games, I know I will.

Not surprising...the Xbox is pretty well past it's prime, and people that bought DLC knew what they were getting into (and if they didn't then they're morons). Still, I wonder what's so taxing about supporting original XB games that makes it a problem for MS?

It isn't a big deal that the DLC is being pulled. It was lame for them to pull it before announcing the discontinuation of Live support. Why don't we have until Apr. 15, when the service is being shut off, to grab any DLC that is available or that we have purchased. No matter for me as there are ways to download and install the DLC if you are savvy enough but it was a bad move.

Anyway, the issue isn't that the service itself is taxing. It is that they want to do some things with Live that are incompatible with the original protocol. The main thing stated is that there is a limit of 100 to the number of friends you can have. There is some speculation that they want to tie the Facebook and other who-gives-a-crap-book social networking sites they now support into the friends list so that you can enable automatic adding of friends on those services. That isn't something I care about in any way but I can see them wanting to do that.

Not surprising...the Xbox is pretty well past it's prime, and people that bought DLC knew what they were getting into (and if they didn't then they're morons). Still, I wonder what's so taxing about supporting original XB games that makes it a problem for MS?

I take exception to saying "people that bought DLC knew what they were getting into." particularly because they went to great pains to IGNORE the natural end result. How many times have I seen on forums (this one included) where people steadfastly claimed microsoft would DEFINITELY keep all DLC available simply because they charge for the service, etc etc. This among many other excuses/reasoning.

I'm hoping this will shock people awake about DLC personally and I hope people realize that the 360 will get the exact same treatment a few years down the road, followed by whatever console follows that, until the day when Microsoft potentially decides the console business costs more than it's worth and pulls the plug on the entire thing.

:lol: this is exactly why I never supported DLC (not even an issue when I consider buying the game) And will never support DD games, see, I don't have to worry about being screwed out of anything, cause it's something I stayed away from initially anyways.

As for playing online, oh well, time to go back to "fakeing the network" (:lol: how MOST of us first played "online" games in the begining, over a year before live :P ) Now I just gotta relocate all those old programs :x

I wish they had made a closed XBL system for the original console with DLC and patches kept available. I doubt it would be very costly to develop or maintain.

That's the real negative with this. Most every Xbox game besides a handful didn't have any online multiplayer going anyways since everyone has moved on, but it's real disappointing to know that we can't get patches and DLC anymore.

I was doing some thinking about it earlier today, and maybe it won't matter for the 360. Thanks to the ability to transfer hard drive data to another one, once the system is dead and gone and online support has been disconnected, I can picture the most-complete DLC collections being transferred from system to system.. Just a thought, anyway.

I was doing some thinking about it earlier today, and maybe it won't matter for the 360. Thanks to the ability to transfer hard drive data to another one, once the system is dead and gone and online support has been disconnected, I can picture the most-complete DLC collections being transferred from system to system.. Just a thought, anyway.

Well if you are familiar with the Xbox modding community you know they find ways to handle things like this. For the original Xbox they are packaging up (and already have a large number of titles done) all the DLC in a way that allows anyone to easily install it. All you need is a mod or an action replay.

Well if you are familiar with the Xbox modding community you know they find ways to handle things like this. For the original Xbox they are packaging up (and already have a large number of titles done) all the DLC in a way that allows anyone to easily install it. All you need is a mod or an action replay.

Yes, I have a modded original XBOX. It's sometimes a pain in the arse getting it to communicate properly with my PC through networking though, and accessing one of the irc group for emulator/program downloads can be a nightmare.. :o

Edited by Austin

I'm surprised that nobody has suggested or mentioned plans for creating 'open Xbox live 1.0 servers' for people to play on.

If Microsoft has decided to abandon the platform then the feeling is mutual.

This also is the strongest argument against DL Content if I ever saw one. I still remain mixed about the paltry amount of DLC that I have purchased from XBox Live Marketplace, and what will my options be when MS decides that the 360 is obsolete and moves on? Maybe I'm happy with the -not-very-reliable-360... when it works correctly.

Also, I wonder how XBox1.0 live accounts will be handled after they shut stuff down. Transfer to a 360 gold? Just out of luck? <shrug> I doubt it'll involve a refund of any sort.

Hex.

[ If a company refuses to support your purchase, why should you be forced to continue to purchase from the company? ]