IGNORED

RealDos is Shareware

Stephen J. Carden

Well I said a long time ago it would be a cold day before I would do something like this. Well it snowed 6" last nite in Georgia first time in 10 years.

Welcome to the REALDOS Version 1.0a Build 26

All versions RealDos is Shareware Copyright 2010 ILS, Written by Stephen J. Carden

Suggested Shareware is $39.00

I do understand that $39.00 is a lot of cash for some users so any shareware fee will be accepted. If you can not afford anything that ok too! Please enjoy my efforts and have fun! It is a hobby after all. Check out the real.doc, notice.txt, and program.txt included in the RealDos.Atr. Real.doc file it has contact info in it. RealDos has not been crippled waiting for a shareware fee to unlock it. This is a full blown worked DOS. RealDos is Shareware and Copyrighted, all I ask of you is you read this document and if you like what you see use it and have fun!

RealDos will run on a Real Atari 8-bit with ape software and hardware or an emulator. This version of RealDos contains both the mux and none mux sio. This DOS will realize how it is being called and will load the proper siov handler for your needs. RealDos will configure itself by detecting your hardware configuration. RealDos uses the CLASSIC ICD SpartaDos file system.

This version of RealDos was written to fully utilize the Black Box (all Versions), ICD Mio, Ken Jones Mio, KPI interface, Supra Interface, IDEa, SIO2PC, Ape Register Version, SIO2SD and the Multiplexer. RealDos was also designed to work with the Atari800win emulator. While this version of the DOS was written for these devices they ARE NOT necessary to use, An Atari 8 bit that have 64k base ram will work just fine with the dos. This DOS was designed for me and a few friends for new hardware that has come to market Has required us to come up with a Disk Operating System that supported new hardware as well as our classic system. If you are a power user then this Dos may be what you are looking for.

RealDos does not support at this time the cart version of the MYIDE product. If you have the ROM for the MYIDE system RealDos will work for you. The MYIDE system in not percom compatible so none of my disk formatters will work. I hope at some time that the MYIDE will become percom compatible. I have been unable to get enough information to program for the MYIDE system. I know a lot of Atari users have them and I hope to have more support for that product soon.

PLEASE take note of this. This is my hope for the future.

I have been thinking of making MOST but NOT ALL the RealDos support files Open Source. The core boot kernel for now WILL NOT be open source. But I am willing to help other programmers look threw most of my source. This DOS has just gotten too big for one person to do. I hope to bring a team together to make the MOST powerful Disk Operating System ever for the Atari 8-bit. If you know how to Program, Document, Test and are willing to give time to a Shareware Project Please e-mail me. I would like to RealDos be a multi-language system that can support anything. Right now I am working on a version that has a separate Command Line Processor in hopes I can stop using all the OS-Ram. Make the command line processor relocatable so when RealDos boots it get its boot.bin, io.sys then load drivers then load command.com. I am also working on an error database so that users could look up there error code and have it explained in there language. Please report by e-mail software problems, bugs, or things you would like to see to me. If you wish to program for RealDos or want to make one of your programs compatible by all means get a hold of me, I can use all the help I can get.

If a user would like a copy of one of the support files for education purpose please e-mail me.

Have fun and drop me an e-mail! If you like what you see or have an idea for something else that can be added driver or support command file. The Atari 8-bit is the source of many Hours of fun. So let us keep This DIEHARD machine running in some form.

Official Shareware Notice

RealDos Disk Operating System computer program is distributed on an "as is" basis without warranty of any kind. RealDos and its support command files are to be distributed in compiled form only! The user is not permitted to reverse engineer, disassemble, sector edit, or engage of modifying any part of RealDos. The user is permitted to make copied for personal backup, give, electronic transfer RealDos and its support file to any Atari user, except Lance Ringquist or anyone who works for Video 61 or any company he OWNS now, or may own or have association with in the Future!

Video 61 and/or Lance Ringquist or any company he now owns or may own in the future, can not own, sell, transfer or redistribute RealDos by any means including but not limited to electronic, hard copies, backups, or new transferring equipment or techniques not yet designed. Should Video 61 happen onto a copy of RealDos the terms of the Shareware requires them to destroy it as soon as they find it. Or register it with Stephen J. Carden by paypal at the cost of $500,000.00 US per copy within the first 5 minutes of having the software.

Site License copies is not Transferable with out consent of Stephen J. Carden. Atari user groups may use it FREE of charge for there disk of the Month projects and BBS Systems! It would be helpful if user groups send a notice to the Author that they have RealDos. RealDos can not be distributed as part of any program sold profit including shareware disks with out a site license.

List of site license owners

AtariMax and/or Steven Tucker

Ken Jones MIO revisit

WASEO Dictionary++

Should a company wish to bundle this program with there product (Hardware or Software) I will provide a site license at a reasonable fee. Custom site license copies of RealDos can be made for site license owners. A clear separation must be made from the users program and RealDos.

The source code to RealDos or Support files is not to be distributed without written or electronic consent of the author, Stephen J. Carden!

RealDos disks must be complete package and all support files must be included. The RealDos Shareware notice must be included on the disk or Atr. If a user or user group wants a special copy of RealDos please contact me by e-mail me. While great effort has been made to produce this program I am human and have made mistakes in the past. I strive to produce the best Atari applications I can but it is the user that help me make that happen.

Here is a list of what this DOS has in it. All Classic SpartaDos commands are here except where noted:

Added

When DOS is booting holding down any CONSOL key you will give you a menu to select your SIOV type. This was done so that as new hardware gets designed. You can control the siov handler you wish to use. If you are not holding down a consol key during boot RealDos will configure SIOV for you.

Start = US Doubler SIOV

Select = OS SIOV

Option = Let Dos make the choose

removed "ainit" function

added md for making directory

added mkdir for making directory

added rd for remove directory

added rmdir for removing a directory

added chdir for changing a directory

added cd for changing a directory

added cls for clearing the screen

added ver for version of the dos

added cold for cold start of computer

added echo for turning the screen on and off

added case insentivity (lower case ok to use)

added mux compatable cio handler

added drive 9 support

Note: That all the classic SpartaDos command are STILL valid except for the ainit.

Define: md or mkdir

Syntax for use:

md dx:>stuff make a dir call stuff

md dx:\stuff make a dir call stuff

mkdir dx:>stuff make a dir call stuff

mkdir dx:\stuff make a dir call stuff

Define: rd or rmdir

Syntax for use:

rd dx:>stuff removes a dir call stuff

rd dx:\stuff removes a dir call stuff

rmdir dx:>stuff removes a dir call stuff

rmdir dx:\stuff removes a dir call stuff

Define: cd or chdir

Syntax for use:

cd dx:>stuff Change director to stuff

cd dx:\stuff Change director to stuff

chdir dx:>stuff Change director to stuff

chdir dx:\stuff Change director to stuff

cd \ change to root dir

cd .. carries you back on directory

chdir \ change to root dir

chdir .. carries you back on directory

cd ..\.. carries you back two directory

chdir ..\.. carries you back two directory

Define: cls

Syntax for use:

cls clears the screen

Define: ver

Syntax for use:

ver Displays the current version of Real.dos

Define: cold

Syntax for use:

cold cold starts the computer

Define: echo

Syntax for use:

echo on turns the screen on

echo off turns the screen off

Very useful when copying a large amounts of file(s) to a ramdisk.

Files some of the new files on this ATR please enjoy this atr a lot of hours when into it. Yet I am still not done. Oh well, I will keep working. Please let me know what you think of the command files

ssc.com "Super Sector Copy" This will allow you to make ATR’s the size of your source drive from 4 to 65535 sectors, floppies or hard drive and then sector copy them to the target ATR. Support's the APE, MUX, Black Box, MIO, Ramdisk's (must use my ramdisk.com) <note> if you have a black box and a partition map ssc.com will backup you entire hard drive from the command line. 'ssc parm1 parm2' parm1 = black box temp drive, Parm2 is the ape drive. Be aware this can take several days to run depending on the size of your hard drive. SSC, will map your black box according to you partition map, create an ATR file the same as you partition map name and then sector copy to the atr of the same name. SSC do not care how big or small your drives are... It will just make an image of them. If you wish to just copy a partition or two just type in 'ssc' and it will bring up a menu that has help screens in it.

mount.com You can mount the atr you wish from RealDos.

unmount.com You can unmount an ATR from the command line.

Make_atr.com from the command line you can make any size atr you wish, single or double density, Mount it and also build a directory. <note> building a directory requires double density.

Tdline2.com has the fix for y2k and correctly takes care of the day of the week. Pulls time from r-time 8, APE, or Mux depending on your configuration. Also this tdline2 is aware if it has already been loaded and will update the time and then exit without reloading the handler.

Ramdisk.com ram disk handler that can be re-entered. This ram disk handler will function in single or double density you can change its drive letter or map it out all together. Then re-map it when you are ready. Also you must tell it to format. If you soft boot your machine or have a battery backed Ram Disk and re-boot RealDos a simple 'ramdisk d9:' will re-install the handler. You can also sector edit the ram disk. With ssc you can sector copy it to an atr file. This is the very tool that was used in creating the atr I e-mail to you.

Ram_load.com Will load an image file byte for byte to restore a ram disk.

<note> you must be using my ram disk handler.

Ram_cap.com Will save the entire contents of a ram disk to an image file.

<must be using my ramdisk handler>

Os_cap.com will copy your OS out to either an IBM image file or Bob burner file.

<No need to unsolder to have a chip image>

Os_menu.com Support file for the SMARTOS that I use.

Park.com Look into what kind of pbi device you have and Park it correctly.

Black Box and MIO only.

Turboss.com My high speed screen Handler.

Hdfmtdir.com Will read the percom table calculate the amount of sectors and build a new directory on anything. Yes Anything! Black Box PBI drives, hard drive partitions, ram disk <if you are using my ram disk Handler>, standard floppies.

Note: This will not format MY-IDE drives due to the MY-IDE OS ROM not being PERCOM compatible.

All these files are 100% assembler code. Written with xasm.exe

Here is a list of the Support Command files and there Status.

;

;===========================================================================

;Base dos tools

ARC COM 9178 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

UNARC COM 10226 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

DOSMENU COM 3205 3-04-05 5:49p ;[x] xasm done! Relocatable Code done!

DUMP COM 1033 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

DUPDSK COM 2187 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done! Relocatable Code done!

MDUMP COM 813 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

PUTRUN COM 589 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

NCOPY COM 5772 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

C_COPY COM 5772 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

C_MOVE COM 5772 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

F_MOVE COM 5510 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

EDITFILE COM 8130 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

SSC COM ;[x] xasm done! super sector copier

RAMDISK COM 4986 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done! Relocatable Code done!

RAM_CAP COM 4200 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

RAM_LOAD COM 4200 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

RENDIR COM 1842 10-20-05 10:29p ;[x] xasm done!

SPARTA COM 532 10-20-05 10:30p ;[x] xasm done!

XINIT COM 4200 10-20-05 10:30p ;[x] xasm done!

CHTD COM 1056 10-20-05 10:28p ;[x] xasm done!

CHVOL COM 532 10-20-05 10:28p ;[x] xasm done!

SORTDIR COM 1227 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

TREE COM 975 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

UNERASE COM 1537 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

VDEL COM 4063 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

WHEREIS COM 7304 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

Turboss com ;[x] xasm done! Relocatable Code done!

prokey com ;[x] xasm done! Relocatable Code done!

;==============================================================

;Code in various stages of completeness

SCOPY COM 3582 3-04-05 5:49p ;[_] ken Has some prelem source

XCOPY COM 4467 3-04-05 5:49p ;[_] have some C src here that may work

CLEANUP COM 16189 3-04-05 5:49p ;[_] no source

DISKRX COM 34456 3-04-05 5:49p ;[_] no source

off_load COM ;[_] Need to add the relocator to this

Shutdown COM ;[_] Need to add the relocator to this

;Digonistice tools

HAPPY COM 12846 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

RAMCHECK COM 456 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

RPM COM 691 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

;===============================================================

;Mux tools

BAT COM 3414 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

S_TIME COM 3676 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

MUXTIME COM 2628 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

MASTER COM 6296 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

CHAT COM 7868 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

SHOW_MUX COM 4724 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

MUX COM 2104 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

LOAD_MUX COM 1056 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

STAT_MUX COM 1580 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

;R-Time 8 stuff

UTDLINE2 COM 6296 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm Relocatable Code done!

TDLINE2 COM 6296 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm Relocatable Code done!

TSET COM 1154 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

check_rt COM ;[x] xasm done

;R: Handler

RS232 COM 127 3-04-05 5:49p ;[x] xasm done!

;Ape Interface and AtariMax Hardware

MEGA COM 2628 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done! turn 1 and 8 meg cart on and off. done!

mount com ;[x] xasm done! Mounts an atr from the cli

unmount com ;[x] xasm done! unmounts an atr from the cli

make_atr com ;[x] xasm done! makes atr from Atari CLI with formatting

APE_HND COM 2104 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done! MEMLOW APE modem driver

APE_VER com ;[x] xasm done!

file2pc com ;[x] xasm done!

;PRC Handler

PRC COM 1842 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm Relocatable Code done!

;PBI

park COM ;[x] xasm done! parks both mio and bb

;mio Utilitys

MIODIAG COM 2890 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

PARK_AD COM 1056 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

MIO_MNU COM 270 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

MIOCFG COM 1726 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

HDFMTDIR COM 1520 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

HDFMTMIO COM 7703 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] Xasm done!

;Black Box utilitys

PARK_IT COM 2104 10-20-05 10:29p ;[x] xasm done!

BBMENU COM 270 10-20-05 10:28p ;[x] xasm done!

B_BANK COM 270 10-20-05 10:28p ;[_] Still more to do.

HDFMT COM 6694 3-04-05 5:49p ;[x] xasm done!

USPRAMD9 COM 262 10-20-05 10:30p ;[x] xasm done!

BSWAP COM 1580 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] xasm done!

;Extra Tools

RBACKUP COM 20363 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] Action Done!

RESTORE COM 8554 4-22-06 2:24p ;[x] Action Done!

;Smart OS Board That I have installed in my computer.

;One of these days I will produce a SmartOS for sale the SmartOS allowes me to load os images from a file and the computer treats it like a Real Rom.

;

os_menu com ;[x] xasm

os_cap com ;[x] xasm

;

;Programming tools or Steve's private utilitys

OSS COM 532 10-20-05 10:29p ;[x] xasm Done! Turn oss carts on and off

STRIP COM 5772 10-20-05 10:30p ;[x] xasm Done!

KEYTEST COM 2890 10-20-05 10:28p ;[x] xasm Done!

IOMON COM ;[x] xasm done! Relocatable Code done!

Stephen J. Carden

REAL DOS build 26.zip

Ok, just dragged it over here ...

Welcome to the REALDOS Version 1.0a Build 26

Great that there is some progress

In case somebody is doing a compability list:

1. image copied to a 1.44mb fdd boots perfect from my HDI.

2. setup on a boot partition on my msc ide controller hosting CF cards it boots as well

Start = US Doubler SIOV

Select = OS SIOV

Option = Let Dos make the choose

1. works perfect from floppy drive 1.44mb

2. only USD siov works with the ide controller

3. couldn't figure out how to omit BASIC during boot

[/Quote]

From the command line type "Basic off" to turn basic off. "basic on" will turn basic on unless you have removed your basic chip.[/Quote]

That's ok, it's just that I am used to hold down OPTION during boot to disable BASIC. Figured out that you have to be quite quick to get that done after having made your choice. Will train that ;).

Hi Stephen, and thank you for posting the disk. Is there documentation available for this build?

One of the things I can never seem to find the time to do. It is on the list. If anyone wants to help I am game for some help. There is a limited doc's on the atr.

Steve

Edited by Stephen J. Carden

I don't want to ruin the party, but anybody not daring to use SpartaDOS 3.3 because of possible copyright claims by Lance (rightfully or not, doesn't matter for the trouble it can cause) should be aware that the Real DOS 26 core has at least 39% of code identical to SD3.3a.

On the other hand, Lance doesn't have any clue about copyrights. All 3.x versions (and possibly older versions too) share code with version 3.3, and Lance doesn't seem to care ;)

Edited by ivop

I don't want to ruin the party, but anybody not daring to use SpartaDOS 3.3 because of possible copyright claims by Lance (rightfully or not, doesn't matter for the trouble it can cause) should be aware that the Real DOS 26 core has at least 39% of code identical to SD3.3a.

On the other hand, Lance doesn't have any clue about copyrights. All 3.x versions (and possibly older versions too) share code with version 3.3, and Lance doesn't seem to care ;)

My thought are simple. Run the dos that makes you happy. for myself I use several. Depending on what the task is a hand.

Steve

Hmm...let me see. No, I don't care either.

I don't know anything about copyright law, but it seems odd to me that someone could own code that has "borrowed" from code they don't own. For example SD3.3 which is based off SD3.2. How is that allowed? Also, how does one borrow code from shareware which is not technically open source? If I was the "owner" of one of these derived products. I certainly wouldn't want to drag anyone into court over it, considering the suspect origin of the code. There is some risk that the judge wouldn't agree and I would end up f'ing myself.

Edited by tep392

You know what? I'd go ahead and use 3.3a for whatever project you want. Really, what's he going to do?

As a matter of fact, for all releases of projects on the A8 in 2010, we should use versions 3.3a. Lance can threaten all he wants, but if we all do this, then he can't do shit and will finally have to admit that he's in the wrong.

If I release anything I do on the A8 this year, I'm going to make sure that it's released on a disk image containing SpartaDOS 3.3a...

Edited by dwhyte

You know what? I'd go ahead and use 3.3a for whatever project you want. Really, what's he going to do?

As a matter of fact, for all releases of projects on the A8 in 2010, we should use versions 3.3a. Lance can threaten all he wants, but if we all do this, then he can't do shit and will finally have to admit that he's in the wrong.

If I release anything I do on the A8 this year, I'm going to make sure that it's released on a disk image containing SpartaDOS 3.3a...

Why would I not use code I wrote in the first place? I wrote the modifications to SpartaDos 3.3a,b,c,d and the 39% that is being talked about is the siov section. There is only one way to do siov with the ICD file system no matter where it is in memory. I started a new thread about RealDos to get it away from the bull Sh**. The Point being is real programming is going on with RealDos. And nothing is going on with SpartaDos 3.3a,b,c. RealDos came about because of the new hardware being made with no support from the current versions of DOS. I am also making the support files for RealDos semi-open source. This way would be 8-bit programmers can see how they work and maybe write something that is needed. There is only ONE purpose for RealDos and that is to support every bit of new hardware that can be. One thing is for sure Video 61 does not know how to program so there not going to come out with something new for DOS. I program for the 8-bit because it is my hobby that is why I keep producing new or revise code. There is no way I will ever recover my costs for programming other that it is fun and I enjoy it and that makes it my Hobby.

RealDos came about because Mike Holman ripped me off like he did with so many others. Had Mike Holman business turned out different RealDos mite have been Just another revision to SpartaDos. SpartaDos 3.3a came about to do two things, support the CSS Multiplexer and fix an open file bug that would trash a hard drive. Then I added the modifications for drive 9 and MS-Dos command set. As it turned out my Multiplexer siov handler also worked well with WIN 800 emulators. SpartaDos 3.3b had all the modifications 3.3a had but a different siov handler that the US doublers drive needed. SpartaDos 3.3c has all the modifications that 3.3a and 3.3b has but an added bit of code that made the siov choice for you based on hardware. The design of SpartaDos 3.3a,b,c,d was done by myself and Ken Ames and was a hack to fix and improve a DOS we both liked but had bugs.

RealDos kernel has been a major rewrite to support the hardware I have with as much backward compatibility as possible. I also wrote support files for the new hardware. RealDos has more support for the Ape interface than any other 8 bit Dos. There is also support for the Tucker Mega Carts.

I am pleased that so many people like SpartaDos 3.3a,b,c,d I guess I got it right the first time.

So use what ever DOS you like. It not going to hurt my feeling that you want to use SpartaDos 3.3a,b,c,d after all its creation came from me!

Stephen J. Carden

"s j carden @bellsouth. net" remove the spaces if you want to send me an e-mail

Edited by Stephen J. Carden
  • Like 1

I don't know anything about copyright law, but it seems odd to me that someone could own code that has "borrowed" from code they don't own. For example SD3.3 which is based off SD3.2. How is that allowed? Also, how does one borrow code from shareware which is not technically open source? If I was the "owner" of one of these derived products. I certainly wouldn't want to drag anyone into court over it, considering the suspect origin of the code. There is some risk that the judge wouldn't agree and I would end up f'ing myself.

The Atari 8-bit is a very small computer. There are just a few ways to talk to the screen. The methods for disk IO were published in mapping the Atari and ICD. All the programmers I know use libraries to do things. To put it short programmers reuse code all the time. I for one have a large library of subroutines that I use. My subroutines are from 25 years of programming for the Atari. Now where you can get into trouble is hacking into a new piece of hardware and including that as your own. I am not suggesting doing this but: make a copy of the Ape interface and make a new version as the revised APE interface.

That is kind of the point. SpartaDos 3.3x was a hack to fix bug and add a few things. SpartDos 3.3x was made from a sharware program and was republished the same way. So There is not an owner of SpartaDos 3.3x it is just one hell of a great Dos. Video 61 made carts of SpartaDos 3.3c and even though I wrote the mods there is not any thing I can do about it. SpartaDos 3.3x is a hacked version of DOS. How ever having a cart that you must pull out of your computer before it will work can cause a spike in voltage in your hardware and burn chips up.

Steve

All the programmers I know use libraries to do things. To put it short programmers reuse code all the time. I for one have a large library of subroutines that I use.

I'd like to confirm this. On the ATARI and even on PC code is reused as part of libraries and (especially with the ATARI) for specific tasks like SIO, CIO etc. there are only a few ways to code (fill the IOCBs, call jsr, ...). So it's more than likely to find similar code sections.

Gtx

Edited by walktari

How did you obtain the 39% and did you compare it to SD 3.2 and other versions too? Please let us now in detail.

Edited by walktari

How did you obtain the 39% and did you compare it to SD 3.2 and other versions too? Please let us now in detail.

I used xdelta to do a binary diff. Various sequences appearing in SD3.3 reappear in Real DOS; sequences varying in length from several instructions up to a few blocks of about half a kilobyte and everything in between.

BTW I am not debating the ownership of whatever code here myself. I don't care. Actually, I believe it's highly likely FTe never sold the rights of SpartaDOS and the code can be considered abandonware. Everything Stephen added is owned by him of course. Note that the RealDOS core is also over 20% larger than SD3.3 (which already contained parts written by him).

I just wondered whether it was all written from scratch (that's why I did the diff) or not and notify people that might be worried about Lance's legal threats et cetera. As I said, I think it's unlikely he is right, but nevertheless his solicitors could be a big nuisance for a while.

edit: oh, and I did not compare to other versions. I could, but I don't really care. You could do it yourself if you want :)

edit2: and what Stephen said. If you have a massive (macro) library, chances are several parts will be identical even though the source code is not.

Edited by ivop

I used xdelta to do a binary diff. Various sequences appearing in SD3.3 reappear in Real DOS; sequences varying in length from several instructions up to a few blocks of about half a kilobyte and everything in between.

BTW I am not debating the ownership of whatever code here myself. I don't care. Actually, I believe it's highly likely FTe never sold the rights of SpartaDOS and the code can be considered abandonware. Everything Stephen added is owned by him of course. Note that the RealDOS core is also over 20% larger than SD3.3 (which already contained parts written by him).

I just wondered whether it was all written from scratch (that's why I did the diff) or not and notify people that might be worried about Lance's legal threats et cetera. As I said, I think it's unlikely he is right, but nevertheless his solicitors could be a big nuisance for a while.

edit: oh, and I did not compare to other versions. I could, but I don't really care. You could do it yourself if you want :)

edit2: and what Stephen said. If you have a massive (macro) library, chances are several parts will be identical even though the source code is not.

The really neat sections of RealDos and Classic SD are the siov sections that get loaded up under the OS. The original siov which can trash a hard drive came from Mike Gustafson. Mike gave me ICD source so I could make/modify the siov to function with the CSS Multiplexer. Mike G and Bob Puff really didn't do any projects because they each wanted the Atari 8-bit market. Main reason ICD never supported any of CSS projects. So CSS made things like the Black Box and Ultra Speed OS Had to work with out help from ICD. In a conversation with Bob Puff he asked me how I would like a Multiplexer, I of course told him I did and I would write code for it. When I received the first Multiplexer it did NOT work with SpartaDos, it was a MY-Dos only device. At the time I BBS Express Professional and about 500 sysops that were running BBS Pro. Needless to say I had really cool hardware that did not work like I wanted. So I am sitting on source for SpartaDos and Hardware that did not work. So then the worst thing in the world happened, I crashed my IBM pc with all my SpartaDos source one it. Ken Ames and I were working on another project at the time and it became necessary to rebuild SpartaDos source library. I only had a bit of code I had printed out that needed to be rekeyed. But I did have the coolest disassemble ever created at the time. I also had source to an OS called Turboss that Dan Knuff and Myself wrote. So I had all the pieces just to all put together. I once again got a hold of Mike G. and he, this time did not have time to help he was in the middle of writing SpartaDos 4.0 the cart. So work began on SpartaDos 3.2c (remember this was compile on the PC with a fixed siov Code) turning it back into useable source code. I could not have done this without seeing the original code Mike G. had an understanding of lookup tables unlike anything any one else has ever done. Ken Ames did the first pass on the disassembly just because I was busy with other things at the time. I had just finished the MUX siov that did not trash a directory for SpartaDos and sent a copy of the SIOV to both Bob Puff and Mike G. At this time Puff had come up with his own version that could modify SpartaDos 3.2d and sent it out as a file on the Multiplexer support disk. Puffs patch file created a SpartaDos 3.2z and worked with the mux and PBI devices. Puff patch did not fix the open directory error that was in the SpartaDos 3.2d. The first revision to SpartaDos 3.2c was to add the MUX siov that I had worked on and after several tries and crashes of hardware came out as SpartaDos 3.2p. SpartaDos 3.2p was classic SpartaDos no drive 9 no MS-dos support it was very stable however. So now I had new hardware the Black box and MUX, and a BBS system that only supported 9 drives. I received my SDX cart and it did not take long to realize it was not the answer for my dos problems. Work began on a DOS that would support my hardware as well as Ken Ames. We did not want to purchase a SDX for each machine and we did want to purchase R-Time 8 for each machine. The next program that came out was Muxtime. Muxtime loaded as a memlow handler on my Multiplexer Master and was written in a weekend by Ken Ames and myself to support one R-Time giving time to the entire system. The next program that came out was bat.com, bat.com is a slave selectable batch file processor. I had played with code that banked the MIO and Black box around, but came to the understanding that a Major Rewrite of SpartaDos was needed for drive 9 support. Once again I called Mike G. and this time he was no longer at ICD and Tom Harker was clueless as to what I needed. His view was as long as it had ICD in it he liked it. SpartaDos a,b,c,d all came out before Mike Holman purchased ICD 8-bit product line and looking back I think Holman thought SpartaDos 3.3a,b,c were ICD products when they were really a Hack and ICD did not have source.

One long weekend SpartaDos 3.3a was born, it had drive 9 support and had both CPM and MS-Dos command set within it. About two months later non-mux user called me and wanted SpartaDos 3.3a but they wanted the high speed US Doublers siov so in another long weekend I replaced the MUX siov with US Doublers siov. It did not take long for me to find a need to combine them both. If I did a boot on x3.3b then the next time I rebooted a slave it would crash. So another long weekend SpartaDos 3.3c came about. It had support for everything, it would check to see if you had a Mux and load the right siov according to how it was called. This was a time when a lot was going on Tom Harker had sold all the 8-bit to Mile Holman, The Express Cart was sold to Holman, Bob Klaas was using his credit card machine for Holman. Holman called me and wanted modifications made to the Express Cart. Holman also published all disk based version of SpartaDos as shareware this is when SpartaDos 3.2g came about. Holman was building a sweet 16 and a MIO2 he had a lot of plans and after a while it became obvious that he could not deliver. I was also in the middle of a divorce and did not have time for the 8-bit. I sold my interest in BBS Express Professional and stopped programming for the 8-bit for about 6 month. I was really burned out from writing BBS code and needed a break. Then I had started a new project with Bob Woolley, he was going to design a Smart OS with a IDE port. I did not want the IDE port so my Smart OS has a 576k battery backed sram. Woolley agreed and I started writing code for the Smart OS. Bob Woolley published his design and I added a new com file called OSMENU to my support files. Unknown at the time by me there was a lot going on, Bob Klaas was selling my source without me knowing anything about it, he was my off site backup location. As a programmer I have never sold my source, I have like the other classic Atari Programmers would share code with people from time to time. I know for myself I could not have written the code I have with out help from Bob Puff, Mike Gustafson, Keith Ledbetter, Tom Hunt, Bob Woolley, Ken Ames, and the list goes on. Without inside knowledge of 8-bit hardware lake the Multiplexer, MIO, Blackbox, Happy Drive and other devices it really hard to program for the Hardware. If you have a Happy Drive I have a program (happy.com) that will reprogram it to function as a US Doubler drive. Today I do not have a problem helping another coder because so many have helped me. I have donated Multiplexer to Trub so the revised SDX will work. I have written ramdisk handler and other code to Steve Tucker. In turn Steve Tucker has added code to Ape for me so that my file2pc would work. File2pc is a support file that you can copy from the command line interface to anywhere on the pc a single file. Steve Tucker has also given me programming equates so I could write programs for the Ape interface. Because of Mike Holman and the way he treated Atari 8-bit users my efforts for SpartaDos have come to an end, and RealDos as a new supported Dos has begun. You can not have a conversation about SpartaDos without Holman’s name coming up and it just leads to a bad taste when you think about it. Video 61 wants there business name mixed up with Holman and the way he treated the Atari 8-bit people and I don’t. There is a ton of new hardware that needs supporting and a new updated version of Dos is needed. I last great big deal was purchasing the CSS Multiplexer from Bob Puff. Hopefully RealDos and its support files with the help of other programmers will end up being the Dos everyone wants to use. The next big revision of RealDos will have separate command line interface and a few other really cool features. If you as a user have a chance takes a look at the Ram Disk handler in RealDos. Within RealDos support file you can capture to a file your ram disk to a file and then reload it. The files to do this are called Ramdisk.com, ram_cap, and Ramload. You can make an ATR and then sector copy you ramdisk to it. SSC.com can sector copy almost anything to an ATR. There is a programs to copy you OS out to an e-prom file. Video 61 thinks they can make money from a disk based DOS that can be freely copied and was published as shareware and I do not see that happening. My coding for RealDos is purely hobby in nature. I could have made RealDos only function with two drives as cripple ware and I did not. I hope my efforts for a disk based DOS will turn out to be a global effort making RealDos what everyone wants to run. This is why I added a Dosmenu to RealDos and give DOS 2.5 and My-Dos users something that they are use to seeing. RealDos has support for the Multiplexer within it. Since RealDos build 26 was published one new file has been written and two more in the process. These are Delay.Com (done) and Peek.com and Poke.com. RealDos was published with a shareware notice, I would like everyone who uses it to register but if they don’t I really am not going to get upset, I do understand that some people do not have the funds to register, it is after all a hobby for me. I have been thinking about changing the registration to $15.00 US just to bring it into everyone price range. I would also like to make RealDos multi-language for a greater support base. Well sorry if I rambled a bit but you asked the question.

Steve

s j Carden @bellsouth .net

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing this story, Steve. I, for one, really appreciate it.

The really neat sections of RealDos and Classic SD are the siov sections that get loaded up under the OS. The original siov which can trash a hard drive came from Mike Gustafson. Mike gave me ICD source so I could make/modify the siov to function with the CSS Multiplexer. Mike G and Bob Puff really didn't do any projects because they each wanted the Atari 8-bit market. Main reason ICD never supported any of CSS projects. So CSS made things like the Black Box and Ultra Speed OS Had to work with out help from ICD. In a conversation with Bob Puff he asked me how I would like a Multiplexer, I of course told him I did and I would write code for it. When I received the first Multiplexer it did NOT work with SpartaDos, it was a MY-Dos only device. At the time I BBS Express Professional and about 500 sysops that were running BBS Pro. Needless to say I had really cool hardware that did not work like I wanted. So I am sitting on source for SpartaDos and Hardware that did not work. So then the worst thing in the world happened, I crashed my IBM pc with all my SpartaDos source one it. Ken Ames and I were working on another project at the time and it became necessary to rebuild SpartaDos source library. I only had a bit of code I had printed out that needed to be rekeyed. But I did have the coolest disassemble ever created at the time. I also had source to an OS called Turboss that Dan Knuff and Myself wrote. So I had all the pieces just to all put together. I once again got a hold of Mike G. and he, this time did not have time to help he was in the middle of writing SpartaDos 4.0 the cart. So work began on SpartaDos 3.2c (remember this was compile on the PC with a fixed siov Code) turning it back into useable source code. I could not have done this without seeing the original code Mike G. had an understanding of lookup tables unlike anything any one else has ever done. Ken Ames did the first pass on the disassembly just because I was busy with other things at the time. I had just finished the MUX siov that did not trash a directory for SpartaDos and sent a copy of the SIOV to both Bob Puff and Mike G. At this time Puff had come up with his own version that could modify SpartaDos 3.2d and sent it out as a file on the Multiplexer support disk. Puffs patch file created a SpartaDos 3.2z and worked with the mux and PBI devices. Puff patch did not fix the open directory error that was in the SpartaDos 3.2d. The first revision to SpartaDos 3.2c was to add the MUX siov that I had worked on and after several tries and crashes of hardware came out as SpartaDos 3.2p. SpartaDos 3.2p was classic SpartaDos no drive 9 no MS-dos support it was very stable however. So now I had new hardware the Black box and MUX, and a BBS system that only supported 9 drives. I received my SDX cart and it did not take long to realize it was not the answer for my dos problems. Work began on a DOS that would support my hardware as well as Ken Ames. We did not want to purchase a SDX for each machine and we did want to purchase R-Time 8 for each machine. The next program that came out was Muxtime. Muxtime loaded as a memlow handler on my Multiplexer Master and was written in a weekend by Ken Ames and myself to support one R-Time giving time to the entire system. The next program that came out was bat.com, bat.com is a slave selectable batch file processor. I had played with code that banked the MIO and Black box around, but came to the understanding that a Major Rewrite of SpartaDos was needed for drive 9 support. Once again I called Mike G. and this time he was no longer at ICD and Tom Harker was clueless as to what I needed. His view was as long as it had ICD in it he liked it. SpartaDos a,b,c,d all came out before Mike Holman purchased ICD 8-bit product line and looking back I think Holman thought SpartaDos 3.3a,b,c were ICD products when they were really a Hack and ICD did not have source.

One long weekend SpartaDos 3.3a was born, it had drive 9 support and had both CPM and MS-Dos command set within it. About two months later non-mux user called me and wanted SpartaDos 3.3a but they wanted the high speed US Doublers siov so in another long weekend I replaced the MUX siov with US Doublers siov. It did not take long for me to find a need to combine them both. If I did a boot on x3.3b then the next time I rebooted a slave it would crash. So another long weekend SpartaDos 3.3c came about. It had support for everything, it would check to see if you had a Mux and load the right siov according to how it was called. This was a time when a lot was going on Tom Harker had sold all the 8-bit to Mile Holman, The Express Cart was sold to Holman, Bob Klaas was using his credit card machine for Holman. Holman called me and wanted modifications made to the Express Cart. Holman also published all disk based version of SpartaDos as shareware this is when SpartaDos 3.2g came about. Holman was building a sweet 16 and a MIO2 he had a lot of plans and after a while it became obvious that he could not deliver. I was also in the middle of a divorce and did not have time for the 8-bit. I sold my interest in BBS Express Professional and stopped programming for the 8-bit for about 6 month. I was really burned out from writing BBS code and needed a break. Then I had started a new project with Bob Woolley, he was going to design a Smart OS with a IDE port. I did not want the IDE port so my Smart OS has a 576k battery backed sram. Woolley agreed and I started writing code for the Smart OS. Bob Woolley published his design and I added a new com file called OSMENU to my support files. Unknown at the time by me there was a lot going on, Bob Klaas was selling my source without me knowing anything about it, he was my off site backup location. As a programmer I have never sold my source, I have like the other classic Atari Programmers would share code with people from time to time. I know for myself I could not have written the code I have with out help from Bob Puff, Mike Gustafson, Keith Ledbetter, Tom Hunt, Bob Woolley, Ken Ames, and the list goes on. Without inside knowledge of 8-bit hardware lake the Multiplexer, MIO, Blackbox, Happy Drive and other devices it really hard to program for the Hardware. If you have a Happy Drive I have a program (happy.com) that will reprogram it to function as a US Doubler drive. Today I do not have a problem helping another coder because so many have helped me. I have donated Multiplexer to Trub so the revised SDX will work. I have written ramdisk handler and other code to Steve Tucker. In turn Steve Tucker has added code to Ape for me so that my file2pc would work. File2pc is a support file that you can copy from the command line interface to anywhere on the pc a single file. Steve Tucker has also given me programming equates so I could write programs for the Ape interface. Because of Mike Holman and the way he treated Atari 8-bit users my efforts for SpartaDos have come to an end, and RealDos as a new supported Dos has begun. You can not have a conversation about SpartaDos without Holman’s name coming up and it just leads to a bad taste when you think about it. Video 61 wants there business name mixed up with Holman and the way he treated the Atari 8-bit people and I don’t. There is a ton of new hardware that needs supporting and a new updated version of Dos is needed. I last great big deal was purchasing the CSS Multiplexer from Bob Puff. Hopefully RealDos and its support files with the help of other programmers will end up being the Dos everyone wants to use. The next big revision of RealDos will have separate command line interface and a few other really cool features. If you as a user have a chance takes a look at the Ram Disk handler in RealDos. Within RealDos support file you can capture to a file your ram disk to a file and then reload it. The files to do this are called Ramdisk.com, ram_cap, and Ramload. You can make an ATR and then sector copy you ramdisk to it. SSC.com can sector copy almost anything to an ATR. There is a programs to copy you OS out to an e-prom file. Video 61 thinks they can make money from a disk based DOS that can be freely copied and was published as shareware and I do not see that happening. My coding for RealDos is purely hobby in nature. I could have made RealDos only function with two drives as cripple ware and I did not. I hope my efforts for a disk based DOS will turn out to be a global effort making RealDos what everyone wants to run. This is why I added a Dosmenu to RealDos and give DOS 2.5 and My-Dos users something that they are use to seeing. RealDos has support for the Multiplexer within it. Since RealDos build 26 was published one new file has been written and two more in the process. These are Delay.Com (done) and Peek.com and Poke.com. RealDos was published with a shareware notice, I would like everyone who uses it to register but if they don’t I really am not going to get upset, I do understand that some people do not have the funds to register, it is after all a hobby for me. I have been thinking about changing the registration to $15.00 US just to bring it into everyone price range. I would also like to make RealDos multi-language for a greater support base. Well sorry if I rambled a bit but you asked the question.

Steve

s j Carden @bellsouth .net

Edited by dwhyte

Please, people, stop with the "abandonware" thing. Not knowing who owns the copyright doesn't mean there isn't one (just about anything published after 1977 will still be under copyright long after we are all dead.)

• Like 1

Please, people, stop with the "abandonware" thing. Not knowing who owns the copyright doesn't mean there isn't one (just about anything published after 1977 will still be under copyright long after we are all dead.)

But isn't precisely that the meaning of abandonware?

We all (or at least most of us) know that abandonware is not the same as public domain. Abandonware usually means that, for whatever reasons, chances that somebody would claim copyright are almost zero. For practical purposes, I take it as use it as much as you want for personal purposes. But it would be risky to use it comercially.

So I think this fits the case of SpartaDos (and most ICD IP) very well.

But isn't precisely that the meaning of abandonware?

We all (or at least most of us) know that abandonware is not the same as public domain. Abandonware usually means that, for whatever reasons, chances that somebody would claim copyright are almost zero. For practical purposes, I take it as use it as much as you want for personal purposes. But it would be risky to use it comercially.

So I think this fits the case of SpartaDos (and most ICD IP) very well.

Exactly.

I am not saying anything about the legality of reverse engineering old code and reusing it.

I know this is off subject a little but...

I am using atari800win plus on both a WINDOWS 7 system and WINE on a Ubuntu Linux system.

In either case TurboBasic XL freezes trying to load it with REALDOS .

How do I get TurboBasic XL to load with REALDOS?

With SPARTADOS X I use the X command with banking turned on to load it.

Or is it not compatible yet.

Also how do you copy the dos files to a new disk? Even in the dos menu I no longer see the "H" command.

I am using atari800win plus on both a WINDOWS 7 system and WINE on a Ubuntu Linux system.

Also how do you copy the dos files to a new disk? Even in the dos menu I no longer see the "H" command.

Unless I'm very much mistaken - and I frequently am - you'll need a version of Turbo Basic which doesn't occupy the Shadow RAM under the OS, since I believe RealDOS already uses it.

This being a command-line DOS, you're best using:

COPY source.ext dest.ext

to copy files. There's also the "MENU" command, if you like visual file managers.

Unless I'm very much mistaken - and I frequently am - you'll need a version of Turbo Basic which doesn't occupy the Shadow RAM under the OS, since I believe RealDOS already uses it.

This being a command-line DOS, you're best using:

COPY source.ext dest.ext

to copy files. There's also the "MENU" command, if you like visual file managers.

And once you've copied the REAL.DOS file to the new disk use this command to make it bootable

BOOT REAL.DOS

Be reminded that Turbo-BASIC 1.4 (the version that doesn't occupy Shadow RAM) only leaves approx. 22K of RAM free.

I should have it on original disk somewhere...

Thorsten