IGNORED

Harmony/Melody and clone consoles

alex_79

Hi!

Will the harmony/melody work on atari 2600 clones with built-in games? These consoles usually have a pullup resistor on pin 24 of the cartridge port used to detect if a cart is present. Will this damage or erase a melody/harmony cart? If not, will the console detect the cart?

Here is a schematics of a clone console I found:

post-10599-126634190834_thumb.png

Without mods, probably not. This console relies on the fact that most carts have pins 12 and 24 connected (not all do, so Melody/Harmony are not the only carts that won't work).

Every console I've seen until today has pins 12 and 24 connected and Melody relies on this. This was done so Melody knows if it's playing a game or ready to be programmed, and Harmony relies on this for initial setup and testing but it's actually not needed once the board is fully assembled. Regardless, if you plug a Melody/Harmony into one of those consoles, it won't be damaged or erased, but it will not work - instead the built-in ROM will come up.

It is possible to mod the console to work with Melody/Harmony. Wire a jumper between pins 12 and 24 with a switch.

It is also possible to mod a Harmony with a jumper wire connecting pins 12 and 24 together with no ill effects. If anyone wants to use Harmony on such a console and wants to order one with this mod, I am willing to do it.

I could also mod a Melody to work but it's a little more than a wire if it will retain its reprogrammability. I suppose that could be handled on a case-by-case basis if there is demand for it.

Here is how to mod a Harmony to work. the lower solder point is a via, so the solder mask needs to be carefully scratched off of the board to solder on the wire.

To all: perform this mod at your own risk!

To the OP: I think you just ordered a Harmony so unless I hear otherwise, I will send this one so it will work on your console.

post-5792-1266350508_thumb.jpg

To the OP: I think you just ordered a Harmony so unless I hear otherwise, I will send this one so it will work on your console.

Yes, I ordered an Harmony cart, but I don't need the mod.

I was just curious because I have one of those clone console, but I also have a few standard Atari 2600 and I plan to use the Harmony on my PAL junior with s-video output.

Thank you! :)

Yes, I ordered an Harmony cart, but I don't need the mod.

I was just curious because I have one of those clone console, but I also have a few standard Atari 2600 and I plan to use the Harmony on my PAL junior with s-video output.

Thank you! :)

As I understand it, the mod is perfectly safe on the Harmony with any console (it will only stop the Melody from being reprogrammed).

Chris

My previous post wasn't clear (My english isn't very good).

I meant that I don't need to use the harmony on the clone console. Of course if the mod doesn't affect the functionality of the cart you can send me the modded one.

:)

I think it would be interesting to see if the modded Harmony works on your clone console :)

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hello AntaBaka,

I am not sure if the CBS Gemini is the same as the Coleco Gemini, but the Harmony Cart also works on this console.

Do you have the dual joystick/paddle controler? Because I can only control the menu with standard Atari joysticks or paddles.

Thanks

Just for the record: The Harmony Cart works fine in my CBS Gemini.

Hello AntaBaka,

I am not sure if the CBS Gemini is the same as the Coleco Gemini, but the Harmony Cart also works on this console.

Do you have the dual joystick/paddle controler? Because I can only control the menu with standard Atari joysticks or paddles.

Thanks

Just for the record: The Harmony Cart works fine in my CBS Gemini.

Curious:

I had a Coleco Gemini back when I was a kid. I never really had much trouble with compatibility, but I distinctly remember Activision's Spider fighter playing ok, but eh scoreboard being completely scrambled, yet the same cart worked fine on my friend's 4 switcher VCS.

Curious:

I had a Coleco Gemini back when I was a kid. I never really had much trouble with compatibility, but I distinctly remember Activision's Spider fighter playing ok, but eh scoreboard being completely scrambled, yet the same cart worked fine on my friend's 4 switcher VCS.

WOW! Tonight was the first time that I had played this game. Talk about a crazy combination of Space Invaders, Centipede, and reverse-Kaboom! It took three tries to break 20,000.

I loaded up two different ROM images of Spider Fighter, each in single game mode on the Harmony, and I did not see any problem with the scoreboard when played on the Gemini

I think it would be interesting to see if the modded Harmony works on your clone console :)

Unfortunately it doesn't work. :(

When I turn the clone console on the yin-yang is displayed for a moment, then the "Unrecognized file type!" error appears. I also tried without the sd card by loading a single image: in this case I get a garbled screen (like a cart with dirty contacts).

The Harmony works just fine with my other consoles, so it's not a big deal. :)

• 2 weeks later...

update:

The problem was the power supply. I tried the clone console with a different one and it now works with the harmony! :)

The console is not 100% compatible with the 2600. I think that the A12 line is never set to 0 on the cart port, because the games that do not work match those described in this post about the FB2.