IGNORED

Donkey Kong sound problems MAME

hern

I don't have this problem with Donkey Kong in MAME except on the rare occasion when I miss a jumping sound and something else is happening at the same time. The MAME version of Donkey Kong seems to "miss" once in a while when there are two sounds happening at once.

It happens very seldom for me.

When playing Donkey Kong, I notice that some of the sounds are missing (like jumping sounds, etc.) How do you fix this?? I have similiar problems on most Nintendo arcade games running under MAME. Mario Bros. is another one that is messed up.

Well, it depends what version of MAME you are running. After 0.116, external samples are not needed as the discrete circuitry for those certain sounds are emulated. Anything prior to that version, you need an external sample pack.

You can pick them up here:

http://samples.mameworld.info/

Navigate to "Older Samples" (on the left side) and you should see a link for Donkey Kong samples there.

1.) Make sure you're using a more recent MAME version that emulates sound properly rather than using samples. If you prefer using an older MAME then you must download samples separately to get the sound

2.) If using a newer MAME version, be sure to go into the game's options and turn off all triple buffering and monitor sync so that it runs at its own framerate, or it won't quite run at 100% and you'll have sound distortion. At least I have to do this with my modern LCD monitor that displays at 60hz.

Edited by mbd30