IGNORED

Getting back into Atari 800 XL for Nostalgic reasons

Daze

Hi everyone,

I have to say -- what a vast resource of information here on the Atari computer and console world. Just to give you an idea of my involvement with Atari... Way back when we lived overseas in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, my father bought me this wonderful toy -- an Atari 800 XL computer and an Atari 1010 tape drive. I had an assortment of cartridges for playing games such as Pac Man, Asteroids, Super Cobra, River Raid, Past Finder, the Dreadnought Factor, and a few others. I also had many of those cassette based tutorials that taught you things like the capitals of Europe, how to speed read, etc. I programmed in BASIC because my father didn't like me playing games on it all the time. This was good for me, because I did something productive for a change. ;) I didn't realize that just learning BASIC would be so integral to my development and who I was. I loved computers then, and this continues to this very day. I now work in the IT industry and graduated with a degree in Systems Development. Anyhow, I have so many fond memories of the Atari that I decided to pick one up just so that I'd have it present in my life as something tangible, and maybe someday to show my kids. If you're curious what happened to my original Atari, well, my father decided to throw it away with all the cartridges, and cassettes and everything else when we moved to Toronto in the mid-90's. It pains me to this very day that he did that. Oh well.

And I do have a question. I am trying to pick up an Atari 800XL with a disk drive. I have an HD TV at home, and it has all sorts of video input options. I know it has S-Video, Composite, HDMI, DVI, VGA, and regular RCA as well. Do I need any special cables to hook it up to the TV? I have read some postings on the Super Video mods, and have also learned that some later models of the 800XL did have the proper chroma/luminescence outputs for S-Video to work. How do I check this on the Craig's List posting for the machine I am trying to buy? Would it be good to get him to go into BASIC and see if it says Rev C? Even if it is not the right rev, I have no qualms about making the Super Video mod myself. I'm handy with electronics while not super smooth in using a soldier iron -- I could do it if I knew what parts to buy from Digikey or some other online retailer.

At some point, it would be nice to get an SIO2SD cable. But that's jumping far too ahead.

Anyhow, good to be part of the community again.

PS: In my spare time, I am trying to implement a basic 6502 instruction set emulator/interpreter/decoder in Ruby for purely educational reasons. Hope to release it in to the wild if I could ever get the time to work on it and finish it.

Hi everyone,

I have to say -- what a vast resource of information here on the Atari computer and console world. Just to give you an idea of my involvement with Atari... Way back when we lived overseas in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, my father bought me this wonderful toy -- an Atari 800 XL computer and an Atari 1010 tape drive. I had an assortment of cartridges for playing games such as Pac Man, Asteroids, Super Cobra, River Raid, Past Finder, the Dreadnought Factor, and a few others. I also had many of those cassette based tutorials that taught you things like the capitals of Europe, how to speed read, etc. I programmed in BASIC because my father didn't like me playing games on it all the time. This was good for me, because I did something productive for a change. ;) I didn't realize that just learning BASIC would be so integral to my development and who I was. I loved computers then, and this continues to this very day. I now work in the IT industry and graduated with a degree in Systems Development. Anyhow, I have so many fond memories of the Atari that I decided to pick one up just so that I'd have it present in my life as something tangible, and maybe someday to show my kids. If you're curious what happened to my original Atari, well, my father decided to throw it away with all the cartridges, and cassettes and everything else when we moved to Toronto in the mid-90's. It pains me to this very day that he did that. Oh well.

It's weird that some people can't understand the value and uniqueness of the Atari 8-bit machines. My wife threw away a bunch of my stuff too while we were moving. Just grabbed a few boxes and put them in the garbage. Fortunately, it was mostly Atari ST stuff so I lucked out. But some Amiga external disk drives, memory expansions, etc. were tossed as well. My Happy Drive 1050 is all smiles as it was saved. I have rebuild the essence though.

And I do have a question. I am trying to pick up an Atari 800XL with a disk drive. I have an HD TV at home, and it has all sorts of video input options. I know it has S-Video, Composite, HDMI, DVI, VGA, and regular RCA as well. Do I need any special cables to hook it up to the TV? I have read some postings on the Super Video mods, and have also learned that some later models of the 800XL did have the proper chroma/luminescence outputs for S-Video to work. How do I check this on the Craig's List posting for the machine I am trying to buy? Would it be good to get him to go into BASIC and see if it says Rev C? Even if it is not the right rev, I have no qualms about making the Super Video mod myself. I'm handy with electronics while not super smooth in using a soldier iron -- I could do it if I knew what parts to buy from Digikey or some other online retailer.

800XL video is pretty good with my unmodified 800XL using just composite. I have just connected the composite and luminance outputs and sent them into the composite input into my monitor.

At some point, it would be nice to get an SIO2SD cable. But that's jumping far too ahead.

Anyhow, good to be part of the community again.

PS: In my spare time, I am trying to implement a basic 6502 instruction set emulator/interpreter/decoder in Ruby for purely educational reasons. Hope to release it in to the wild if I could ever get the time to work on it and finish it.

I also wrote one of those but on PC in C++/Asm not Ruby. See link in my signature.

To know what revision of Basic is installed (from Atari 8-bit Computers FAQs):

When running Atari BASIC, memory location 43234 ($A8E2, BASIC ROM) indicates which Revision of BASIC is running.

At the READY prompt, enter "? PEEK(43234)".

If the result is: You have Revision: Atari Part#:

162 A CO12402+CO14502 96 B CO60302A 234 C CO24947A

If the computer has rev. B you can buy a rev. C IC and install it.

Anyway, Atari Basic revision is not a problem because many of us Basic programmers prefer Turbo-Basic XL, completely compatible with Atari Basic, with more commands, faster and compilable.

And here's the fastest S-Video mod. for 800XL that don't have chroma on pin 5 of DIN5 port.

Go to the back of the motherboard and add one jumper wire (some XL motherboards will have this under the shield so removing RF shield will be necessary):

Jumper pin 4 with pin 5. I wasn't born with a chrome spoon in my mouth so that's my way to get a s-video cable working with my 800XL.

post-12094-12666056551_thumb.jpg

800XL video is pretty good with my unmodified 800XL using just composite. I have just connected the composite and luminance outputs and sent them into the composite input into my monitor.

So you're suggesting that an unmodified 800XL (that does not include chrominance signal) display is adequate to start with? Did the Atari come with the 5 pin monitor cable?

Thanks,

Daze

And here's the fastest S-Video mod. for 800XL that don't have chroma on pin 5 of DIN5 port.

Go to the back of the motherboard and add one jumper wire (some XL motherboards will have this under the shield so removing RF shield will be necessary):

Jumper pin 4 with pin 5. I wasn't born with a chrome spoon in my mouth so that's my way to get a s-video cable working with my 800XL.

Interesting. Thanks!

Daze

So you're suggesting that an unmodified 800XL (that does not include chrominance signal) display is adequate to start with? Did the Atari come with the 5 pin monitor cable?

Thanks,

Daze

Well, my Atari 800 came with a DIN5 monitor cable but the 800XL came with just the RF cable that looks like a RCA cable. Yes, 800XL composite video is sufficient. Only people whose eyes were transplanted with eagle eyes are required to get their video output transplaneted with the s-video modification to keep in sync with their eyes.

It's weird that some people can't understand the value and uniqueness of the Atari 8-bit machines. My wife threw away a bunch of my stuff too while we were moving. Just grabbed a few boxes and put them in the garbage. Fortunately, it was mostly Atari ST stuff so I lucked out. But some Amiga external disk drives, memory expansions, etc. were tossed as well. My Happy Drive 1050 is all smiles as it was saved. I have rebuild the essence though.

This is grounds for DIVORCE! LOL Your wife must of not known you are a Retro Geek huh.... ;)

This is grounds for DIVORCE! LOL Your wife must of not known you are a Retro Geek huh.... ;)

Seconded. When me and my Mrs. got together it was clear, love me, love my Ataris/Commodores/Apple2s/Amigas.

Turned out to not be an issue since she uses my 130XE more than I do to play Joust. Recently caved to her demands and put a MyIDE on it so she doesn't have to cartridge swap.

She's not retro-technically informed. She didn't throw out any cartridges since my daughter enjoys playing Big Bird Bash, GrandPrix, Smurfs, Mouse Trap, etc. on A2600; Joust, Pac-man, Spy Hunter, etc. on A8.

I have many modern machines as well (mainly Thinkpads and Toshiba laptops) so it's not just a Retro thing. Games and writing some test programs for H/W testing are better on retro systems like Atari 8-bit. For some games and programs (like Lemmings), you need the higher resolution so Amiga. I prefer the simpler and superior digital Joysticks to play games.

PCs are mainly for internet and other apps that require gigabytes and gigahertz so they can multitask with spyware and viruses without you knowing it.

According to my wife, my brother-in-law has an Atari 800 XL PAL version stored away (even has a box). When my wife goes back to visit her family, maybe she can steal it for me. Though I may not be able to use it here on NTSC gear. He also has an MSX. Possibilities!

Well, my Atari 800 came with a DIN5 monitor cable but the 800XL came with just the RF cable that looks like a RCA cable. Yes, 800XL composite video is sufficient. Only people whose eyes were transplanted with eagle eyes are required to get their video output transplaneted with the s-video modification to keep in sync with their eyes.

This made me chuckle. Thanks for injecting a bit of humour here! :)

Daze

I also had many of those cassette based tutorials that taught you things like the capitals of Europe,

Are you already aware that the Capital of The Netherlands is AMSTERDAM and not The Hague???

That program teached you the opposit, and that is wrong.

The best part of that tape is the music and that spoken story when loaded.

Haha.

Greetz

Marius

I also had many of those cassette based tutorials that taught you things like the capitals of Europe,

Are you already aware that the Capital of The Netherlands is AMSTERDAM and not The Hague???

Hmm... I wish I could remember what it taught. But I think you're right about this. I was in grade 8 at the time, and I was quite smart knowing all of my European capitals even if my knowledge wasn't 100% correct. :)

In other news, I was not able to get my hands on any Atari hardware yet. What is a reasonable price for the computer + a disk drive and maybe a cassette player?

Thanks,

Daze

Hmm... I wish I could remember what it taught. But I think you're right about this. I was in grade 8 at the time, and I was quite smart knowing all of my European capitals even if my knowledge wasn't 100% correct. :)

In other news, I was not able to get my hands on any Atari hardware yet. What is a reasonable price for the computer + a disk drive and maybe a cassette player?

Thanks,

Daze

Yeah, my first Atari disk drive (1050) was really costly like $399 and then I bought a Happy enhancement which was really make it's overall cost high totaling close to $600 with the taxes and shipping.

Nowadays, you should be able to get the same for $50 or so.

• 1 month later...

Just tested it and it works.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Just tested it and it works.

Thank you.

I just did this VERY SIMPLE modification and it works.

I've never solder in my life. The hardest par to this mod was stripping the wire!