IGNORED

Homebrew Vectrex lightpens - UPDATED July 2011

RecycledGamer

Hi Chuck-

I came across your eBay auction already--you do nice work!

At the $40 eBay price, it's a steal. At the $35 AA price, it's a no-brainer!

I've been trudging through a build of 2 light pens--I finally have all of the parts ready to go (though my cable is a tad on the ghetto side...). Given the hours that I've spent, your price is wonderful!

I like your sticker artwork--would you sell me 2 stickers for my pens?

Thanks,

-Jason

Thanks! on eBay they are actually $44 shipped so AA members are saving $9. ;-)

I'd be happy to drop a couple of labels in an envelope for you. Just PM me your address. I saw your earlier PM - sorry I haven't had time to respond yet.

Chuck

I got mine on Saturday, and it's great! I had a blast with Art Master and Melody Master -- the animation features in Art Master are really quite remarkable.

What other titles support the lightpen? I'd heard that Engine Analyzer had some lightpen functionality, but I don't know if that's true and wasn't able to figure it out (inasmuch as it's a figure-out-able sort of program). I have the 72-in-1 multicart, so I have whatever's on there, but no other homebrew carts.

Edited by thegoldenband

I got mine on Saturday, and it's great! I had a blast with Art Master and Melody Master -- the animation features in Art Master are really quite remarkable.

What other titles support the lightpen? I'd heard that Engine Analyzer had some lightpen functionality, but I don't know if that's true and wasn't able to figure it out (inasmuch as it's a figure-out-able sort of program). I have the 72-in-1 multicart, so I have whatever's on there, but no other homebrew carts.

There is also animaction, purely for animations..

If you liked the animations in Art Master..then you'll love animaction :P

What other titles support the lightpen?

There is also animaction, purely for animations..

If you liked the animations in Art Master..then you'll love animaction :P

Alas, Animaction is the one classic-era Vectrex title that was omitted from the 72-in-1 multicart. I wonder why? Maybe there's extra RAM onboard or something?

Thanks to all of you who have supported the project. I shipped lightpens all over the country and Europe.

I see a bunch of you have received your light pens. I'm happy to hear that you are getting some use out of them! I have a couple more left, but I plan to do another batch as we get closer to CGE. I'll also be making a batch of Genesis and SNES controllers modded for Vectrex.

Best,

Chuck

Thanks to all of you who have supported the project. I shipped lightpens all over the country and Europe.

I see a bunch of you have received your light pens. I'm happy to hear that you are getting some use out of them! I have a couple more left, but I plan to do another batch as we get closer to CGE. I'll also be making a batch of Genesis and SNES controllers modded for Vectrex.

Best,

Chuck

Hello Chuck,

Received my light pen today. Thanks for producing these - it works a treat. Today I have been playing Melody Master (for the first time).

regards

VectrexMad!

Howdy, for your info, I got mine yesterday. Probably won't be able to test it for a while but had to comment on the build itself, which is very cool. Nice lable, cable doesn't seem flimsy at all, so thanks and well done!

Finally tried out my light pen and it works great!! I also bought 3D glasses someone made a few years ago and tried them out! I have no idea who made them but they also worked! :-)

Got mine on Monday, but it took until today for me to test it. Great work, Chuck :thumbsup:

I noticed something that seemed odd and hoped someone would have some advice. When using the pen, the screen slightly changes scale. Meaning, when the pen registers on the screen, everything scales up a bit. There's also a slight change in the background hum from the speaker. Is this normal, or is it something I can adjust/fix? This doesn't happen with non-lightpen games...

• 3 weeks later...

Got mine on Monday, but it took until today for me to test it. Great work, Chuck :thumbsup:

I noticed something that seemed odd and hoped someone would have some advice. When using the pen, the screen slightly changes scale. Meaning, when the pen registers on the screen, everything scales up a bit. There's also a slight change in the background hum from the speaker. Is this normal, or is it something I can adjust/fix? This doesn't happen with non-lightpen games...

It does that on mine too. Also happens with the "real" Vectrex lightpen I tried, at least on my machine. I think it's just another one of the funky quirks of the Vectrex.

Chuck

I received a refund back from paypal today, it appears chuck never took the money. I presume that means he's run out after all? Iain, UK.

Hi Iain,

Sorry your payment got returned. I'm not sure why unless the email address was misspelled which would cause the payment to float out there for awhile until it was returned to you.

I have two more in stock now and another batch on the way in a couple weeks or so. Feel free to PM me again and we'll confirm that you have the correct address.

On a different note, I have perfected my technique for making custom controller PCBs and will soon have available a batch of Genesis and SNES controllers modded for Vectrex along with another "making of" video. Stay tuned!

Chuck

It does that on mine too. Also happens with the "real" Vectrex lightpen I tried, at least on my machine. I think it's just another one of the funky quirks of the Vectrex.

Chuck

Thanks, that's good to know. I only have one Vectrex and yours is the first lightpen I ever used with it. It's truly awesome, I've had several hours of fun, and even my wife played with it a few times :D

Chuck-

I received my light pen stickers today--you went above & beyond & gave me more than I asked for--thanks!!!

They seem to be very high quality.

What are the smaller, clear (or white?) stickers for?

Please let me know again if I can return the favor!

Thanks,

-Jason

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

If you didn't get a crack at my first batch of repro Vectrex lightpens, now is your chance to get one! I made a new label for the lightpen that is more like the art on the original lightpen. I also created a package design with a label I designed to look like the art on the original lightpen box.

I am making a batch of 12 available to Atari Age members right now! EDIT: Just to be clear - these lightpens are done now and ready to ship - this is NOT a pre-order!

$35 shipped (US and Canada) for a lightpen only

$40 shipped (US and Canada) for a lightpen AND the custom package (see last photo)

PM me if interested and I will send you my PayPal address.

Chuck

CIMG6360.jpg

CIMG6362.jpg

CIMG6361.jpg

CIMG6363.jpg

CIMG6359.jpg