IGNORED

CVGA's Game Room

cvga

I've enjoyed seeing your game rooms so much I decided to post mine. I was posting similar pictures last summer/fall while we were finishing our basement so I apologize in advance for those of you who have already seen a substantial portion of these...

I intentionally wanted the gameroom to be tucked away so we built it behind the door that goes back under our stairs. Most people think this is a just a closet unless they open the door. There is a large closet that goes under the stairs that I was originally planning on using for bulk storage but it was too much of a pain to dig everything out whenever I needed something from the back so I moved our Christmas tree and decorations under the stairs and put my storage items in the unfinished part.

post-274-12673532309_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Shame on you for teasing us with the outside of the game closet :) .

Sorry. I had connection problems, couldn't add additional pictures and sent the original post through twice. I'm back on track now though :)

The room isn't very large (somewhere between 11 x 11 and 12 x 12) but I've squeezed a bunch of gaming into it. I'll work my way around the room starting with the wall that would be on your right as you enter the gameroom...

The doorway you just came through is on the right. You'll need to step around the black shelving unit that holds miscellaneous stuff like the Atari Test Console to get to my actual consoles. In the corner I have an Atari 7800, Colecovision, NES, Atari 5200, and an Intellivision ready to go. There's also a Vectrex sitting just to the left of the television and couple of Mattel handhelds sitting on top of it beside the Donkey Kong barrell. I need to get a new media tower for the Turbo Grafx games sitting between the TV stand and the shelving unit since everything else is black. I've also finally gotten around to hanging my pictures that once upon a time actually greeted people at Atari.

GR2.jpg

• Like 2

Continuing to rotate left, here's a better picture of the TV stand along with its console goodness. I'm particularly fond of this TV not only because it's old but because it plays PAL games without rolling. I didn't realize my original version of Solaris (that I bought at Big Lots years ago for $1) was PAL until I hooked the Atari up to a different TV!

You can see my large bookshelf where I used to keep my loose games before we finished the basement. I need to adjust the shelves sometime but I'm storing boxed games on it right now. Depthwise, it holds boxed games well but I have way more boxes than I have room which means I still have boxes of boxes in other parts of the basement :( It doesn't show up particularly well in this picture but that's a clock that plays Pong continuously on top of the bookshelf. Oh yeah, the black bar at the bottom of the picture is a futon that I sit on when I'm gaming (we also pull it out into the other room to create a second row of theatre seats when we need it).

GR3.jpg

• Like 2

OK, we'll rotate left again (don't trip over the futon) to the opposite corner from where you entered. This is the classic computer station. I'll ask for your apologies in advance that I only have a Vic-20 and a Commodore 64 set up. I have nothing against the Atari 8-bit machines but I had these Commodore computers as a kid (I mean a Vic and a C-64, not the exact two on the desk) so I collect carts for them.

You can get a little better look at the Pong Clock as well as see the Pac-man lamp sitting on the end of the bookshelf. The lamp is really cool. It has an outer cylinder that spins around to create the feeling that the ghosts are travelling through the maze. You can see the 1702 monitor that I bought from Seanhq (thanks again Sean) as well as the Vic-20 multi-cart that I've been playing. My C-64 carts are sitting in the containers just to the left of the desk. Oh yeah, there's also a Quadrun painting that I bought more than 10 years ago (I forget who sold it to me) that I'm really fond of. I had it long before I actually owned Quadrun. I'm hoping one day to get a picture or two from Pitfall Aimee to hang on the walls. I do have some other things to hang, but you'll have to wait for an update sometime in the future :)

GR4.jpg

Here's a close up of the desk. Yes, I need to hang the Dungeon poster also (sorry Al). The door on the left is just a closet. It's pretty large so I have two organizers, two large storage containers, and a ton of binders with older video game magazines in there. It's not terribly exciting though.

GR5.jpg

• Like 2

Rotate left again and you'll be facing the wall that gets shared with the stairs. I mentioned in the first post that there's a closet that runs completely under the stairs but these doors aren't for that. I had these mini-closets built to hold my loose carts and other smaller items. Originally they were going to be shelves but my wife had the idea to put doors on them. I really like the way it turned out. I have a older thread somewhere that goes into more detail regarding these guys.

GR6.jpg

What's behind Door #1? It's Atari 2600 of course...

GR7.jpg

• Like 1

I won't keep you in suspense. Here's a picture with all of the doors opened...

Door #1: Atari 2600 exclusively

Door #2: Neo Geo Pocket, Atari 7800, Colecovision, handhelds and tabletops, Atari 5200

Door #3: Turbo Grafx, more boxes and boxed games, Intellivision, TBD (probably NES but who knows)

GR8.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice setup! I love the artwork you have hanging on the wall and the fact everything is so neat, clean, organized and tucked away! A video game batcave of sorts. lol Is that a cordless telephone I spy though? If that was my place, I couldn't be buggered talking on the phone while down there... :lol:

Oh and what's the large cylindrical Pac-Man thing? Looks pretty cool whatever it is...

• Like 1

Very nice setup! I love the artwork you have hanging on the wall and the fact everything is so neat, clean, organized and tucked away! A video game batcave of sorts. lol Is that a cordless telephone I spy though? If that was my place, I couldn't be buggered talking on the phone while down there... :lol:

Oh and what's the large cylindrical Pac-Man thing? Looks pretty cool whatever it is...

Thanks!

The Pac-man cylinder is an old Pac-man lamp. I'll try to take a picture with it on and the lights out. It's really cool although it's old and doesn't rotate as freely as I'd like.

Yes, you found a cordless phone. Just because it rings doesn't mean I have to answer :) Usually one of the kids will take care of that anyhow.

• Like 1

Yes, you found a cordless phone. Just because it rings doesn't mean I have to answer :) Usually one of the kids will take care of that anyhow.

Kids eh? If they're old enough to answer the phone, I guess they're old enough to know to stay out of that room? lol Or do you let them play supervised or otherwise? If I had kids around the house, I'd be sure to keep that stuff pretty well hidden and off limits too. Just when you think they have respect for your things, something always seems to happen :ponder: lol

So the Pac-Man lamp is original and from back in the day? I never saw those. And it turns? I bet it's really cool. I always keep my eyes peeled for Pac stuff when I'm thrifting, so I'll have to add that to my Pac spidey senses.

Edited by save2600

Kids eh? If they're old enough to answer the phone, I guess they're old enough to know to stay out of that room? lol Or do you let them play supervised or otherwise? If I had kids around the house, I'd be sure to keep that stuff pretty well hidden and off limits too. Just when you think they have respect for your things, something always seems to happen :ponder: lol

So the Pac-Man lamp is original and from back in the day? I never saw those. And it turns? I bet it's really cool. I always keep my eyes peeled for Pac stuff when I'm thrifting, so I'll have to add that to my Pac spidey senses.

The Pac-man lamp is from Pac-man times. It looks like it predated Pac-man though :)

The kids are allowed in the room. I'm biased but they're really good children. My 10 year old will sit on the futon and play Kaboom! with me for hours. She loves that game and scores higher than me about half the time we play. She's not Atarian7 good but she can put up 3,000 - 4,000 points when she's on her game. She was also really excited when I got the Vic 20 and multi-cart. We also spend a lot of time playing the Turbo Duo together.

My 4 year old likes to play with the handhelds and the stuff on the shelf. He really likes the Pac-man items. He'll point out things that look like pac-man when we're out eating, shopping, etc. People are surprised that he even knows who Pac-man is (they obviously haven't been to our house).

My 14 year old isn't as interered in video games. He'll play occasionally but he's much more likely to be out with friends or playing some type of sport. He just walked by to ask if I can take him to the batting cages (for baseball) while I was typing this :)

• Like 1

Yeah, sounds like you've got great kids over there! Funny how parents make the difference that way ;)

I too just received my Vic multicart. What a great little system!! Awesome also, your 14yo is into getting out of the house. I used to love going to the batting cages at an arcade/bar/restaurant back home called Sluggers. The bar and restaurant were upstairs and it was nice that they were separated like that. Talk about the good old days! Not enough places like that for kids to go anymore :(

Edited by save2600
  • Like 1

Very sweet. Nice and clean. You'd have to drag me out of a room like that! Can't wait to see more as it progresses.

I really like where the room is located. Almost like a secret hideaway or safe room.

Thanks. It's definitely my favorite room in the house :thumbsup: I appreciate all of the comments.

It's a great place to get away from everything else going on and just get lost in games for awhile.

• Like 1

I snapped a couple of pictures. One with the lights on and one with the lights off (other than the lamp) to give you a better look. I did the same thing with the Pong Clock since I thought people might be interested in seeing it a little better.

GR11.jpg

GR12.jpg

GR13.jpg

GR14.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome - thanks for taking the time to snap a few more pics. If you ever want to part with that Pac-lamp, please LMK! I'm as broke as they come these days, but perhaps we could work out a trade :)

No problem. I'm planning on hanging on to it for now but will keep you in mind if I ever change my mind.

That Pac-Man lamp and the Pong clock gives me a stiffy... :)

:thumbsup:

Umm, thanks I guess :ponder:

What was behind the door did not disappoint. I'm truly amazed at the organization and artwork in your room. You have one of the best gamerooms I've seen.

Thanks a bunch. If I could just get everything else in my life this organized. I won't show pictures of my office at home or work :)

• Like 1