IGNORED

Atari 2600 Driving controller, Rotary Problems

kgenthe

I've finally gotten around to building a 2600 Driving Controller -> Jaguar adapter following this diagram:

jag2k6dc.gif

I've changed the controller type from "Joypad" to "Rotary" in the options menu. I've double checked all of my solders. The problem I am having is that I can't select a game. Anytime I select a game from the main menu (using the fire button on the Driving Controller) it always takes me to the options menu. The options menu works fine, with the Rotary and Action button behaving as expected.

Any ideas?

• Like 1

Well I've eliminated the Driving Controller (I have 2) and VGA extension cable (same problems plugged directly into the Jag) as problems. I am going to make another adapter tomorrow to see if it's just a bad connector.

I can use it, but I have to start the game with a regular controller first, then swap it out. Even then, the action button on the controller performs ALL THREE actions, so I waste my superzapper at the beginning of the level, and jump around like an idiot when I get that power-up. With that said, it was still a superior experience compared to the controller.

• Like 1

The rotary controller MUST, MUST, MUST be plugged into PORT 2, with a standard controller in port one to control everything but in-game! If you are using port one and swapping controllers, you are doing it WRONG!!! If people would read game manuals once in a while, you might learn important facts like this...

Edited by Gunstar

Just wanted to add that I've built a few of these adapters in the past and they work great!

You can get all the components at Radio Shack. I also bought stand-offs there, and used them to mount the two connectors back-to-back. It makes are really neat little compact and sturdy adapter....

Edited by else
  • Like 1

If people would read game manuals once in a while, you might learn important facts like this...
This is a bit undeserved. As far as I can remember, rotary support in Tempest 2000 is an undocumented feature :)

Yeah it's not in the game's manual. Anyway, having the Driving Controller plugged into port 2 does nothing (literally nothing). Still scouring forums/google to see what seemingly simple step I am missing.

• Like 1

If people would read game manuals once in a while, you might learn important facts like this...
This is a bit undeserved. As far as I can remember, rotary support in Tempest 2000 is an undocumented feature :)

Yeah it's not in the game's manual. Anyway, having the Driving Controller plugged into port 2 does nothing (literally nothing). Still scouring forums/google to see what seemingly simple step I am missing.

let me try to be as plain as I possibly can, becuase, I KNOW I'm RIGHT. I own a rotary and play t2K with it all the time. First, plug a standard controller into port 1 (left port), second, plug the rotary into port 2 (right side). Next, select option at the many menu screen, in the option screen select rotary controller (all using the regular controller in port 1). then start the game, then use the rotary plugged into port 2. If this doesn't work, then it's your rotary controller that is bust. But with a working rotary, this is the ONLY, I repeat ONLY way to use a rotary with T2K, PERIOD. Regardless of whether it's in the manual or not. My point still stands that people need to read manuals once in a while, NOT directed at anyone in particular. :roll:

Edited by Gunstar

let me try to be as plain as I possibly can, becuase, I KNOW I'm RIGHT. I own a rotary and play t2K with it all the time. First, plug a standard controller into port 1 (left port), second, plug the rotary into port 2 (right side). Next, select option at the many menu screen, in the option screen select rotary controller (all using the regular controller in port 1). then start the game, then use the rotary plugged into port 2. If this doesn't work, then it's your rotary controller that is bust. But with a working rotary, this is the ONLY, I repeat ONLY way to use a rotary with T2K, PERIOD. Regardless of whether it's in the manual or not. My point still stands that people need to read manuals once in a while, NOT directed at anyone in particular. :roll:

Sorry guys, there is one important thing I forgot to mention, only becuase it only has to be done once, ever, unless you reset your T2K cartridge memory, and it was 10 years ago that I did it; the VERY first time you ever want to activate a rotary, when you hit [option] to go into the controller configure menu, you must press pause on a controller in port 1 AND 2 at the same time and then the option to select a rotary controller will appear in the OPTIONS menu, it will be there permanently or until you reseet cartridge memory. I'm sorry I forgot this essential instruction, I just forgot that ten years ago I had to do this once myself.

• 1 year later...

Hi!

Take a look at how the Jaguar controller works:

http://emudocs.org/Jaguar/Controllers/jagcont.html

This is why the driving controller adapter acts like it's pressing A, B, C, and Option all at once.

If you want to use a driving controller, you can try doing what I did once, and add a 9-pin connector to a regular Jaguar controller so the driving controller can control the button signals before they get multiplexed.

EDIT: Ah, crap, I just realized this is quite an old thread. Sorry, I don't normally dig these up.

Edited by jmetal88
  • Like 1

Hi!

Take a look at how the Jaguar controller works:

http://emudocs.org/Jaguar/Controllers/jagcont.html

This is why the driving controller adapter acts like it's pressing A, B, C, and Option all at once.

If you want to use a driving controller, you can try doing what I did once, and add a 9-pin connector to a regular Jaguar controller so the driving controller can control the button signals before they get multiplexed.

EDIT: Ah, crap, I just realized this is quite an old thread. Sorry, I don't normally dig these up.

Thanks!! This has been the most helpful post on this thread.

That link has an omission in it. The Jaguar does indeed consist of a matrix of 4x6 inputs, but the three "blanks" in their description correspond to C1, C2, and C3, which were intended to be hard-wired in the controller so that different types of controllers can be auto-detected. The only time they were really used however is in the teamtap, which outputs one of them (C1 I believe) low so that software can detect it. It also outputs a 5v voltage on pin 8 (normally not-connected) so that controllers can detect when they're connected to a teamtap, if they need to adapt their behaviour depending how they're connected.