IGNORED

Shiny new blogs?

I'm going to spend some time this week working on Blog issues. It does help to report problems here as I can then file those as bugs in Invision's bug tracker. If those issues haven't been filed, it's possible they won't get fixed. I'm talking about legitimate bugs, not suggestions, which are another issue entirely.

Thanks,

..Al

Here's a short list...

• Quite a few font sizes are off compared with the forums. Most notably, the body text for entries is too small.
  • Tags are listed in the old format (where they're all jumbled together in a big blob), rather than a readable list. Still would rather to have them converted to categories if possible - but just fixing the appearance would help.
  • Many entries (like this one) have emoticons missing in comments.
  • Some page listings (like this one) still refuse to show image thumbnails.
  • YouTube videos no longer appear in page listings (like here). In the previous blogware, they did.
  • There needs to be clickable page numbers at the top of each page for multiple page listings - currently its only at the bottom.
  • Would like the "Recent Entries" content block to show the last ten entries, not five.

That'll do for a start. :)

• Like 1

Here's a short list...

• Quite a few font sizes are off compared with the forums. Most notably, the body text for entries is too small.
  • Tags are listed in the old format (where they're all jumbled together in a big blob), rather than a readable list. Still would rather to have them converted to categories if possible - but just fixing the appearance would help.
  • Many entries (like this one) have emoticons missing in comments.
  • Some page listings (like this one) still refuse to show image thumbnails.
  • YouTube videos no longer appear in page listings (like here). In the previous blogware, they did.
  • There needs to be clickable page numbers at the top of each page for multiple page listings - currently its only at the bottom.
  • Would like the "Recent Entries" content block to show the last ten entries, not five.

That'll do for a start. :)

These should all be pretty easy to bang out. :)

..Al

I really don't know where to start. It begins that when you just open my blog overview there's at least 3-4 broken images on every single page of it and ends with missing alt attributes in the editor, so that for most of the buttons there I don't even know what they're doing. Inbetween are the functions where I have an idea how they should work, but usually do something else, e.g. the old "sort by last activity" problem. There's other stuff like the layout being all over the place, which may be due to the 1024*768 resolution or using Opera, whatever. Plus all the stuff I already reported before.

Instead of having us file tons of bug reports, how if the programmers would test their software for an hour or two themselves before delivering it? Most of the stuff is totally obvious. How can't 95% of the damn thing not just plain and simple work exactly like the entire rest of their software?!? E.g. right here I don't need to extra enable smilies every time I edit something, the sorting is perfect, when I pin something it goes to the top, etc...

Add in other stupidity like the forced "uncategorized" category for every entry I don't categorize (not to mention the unwanted category to tag merger which I corrected manually by now.), non-removable tags, the odd name-disappearing bug that Nathan posted a screenshot of and a lot of other things I'm just forgetting because I'm probably slowly getting used to them.

In summary, the blog module from 2 versions before was still much better than the current one.

• Like 1

I'd like to see profile photos removed from the content blocks (most recent entries/comments). It's just clutter. Lists are cleaner.

On a related note, didn't the old blogs use avatars in comments like the rest of the forums? To my eye, that's more identifiable (and preferable) to the often-unused profile pics.

This happens when you delete a comment:

I'd also like to point out that that particular chunk of text looks ugly.

Mixing various sizes and styles of

fonts like that doesn't make it easier to

read, it just makes me not want to read it.

That whole section user_popup.png is just a mess. It should be cleaned up and placed into

a content block near the bottom of the page. Why not take a look?

Also, it'd be nice to get rid of the ALL CAPS headings in the content blocks as well.

There's a missing graphic for the Start Comment Notification thing.

The Reply section has some floating gray thing with a number in it, presumably for rating your own comment before posting it? :?

Also, the behavior of the collapsed and expanded Reply fields don't match that of the rest of the forums. Elsewhere, the various icons don't appear until you click in the text field. Here, they're present all the time (but badly cropped in the collapsed version).

Before clicking in the text field:

post-2641-12711938099_thumb.jpg

After:

post-2641-127119380751_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nathan Strum

• 2 weeks later...

I know you've been busy with that whole hard drive thing, but I would really like to see this one taken care of...

Edited by Nathan Strum

• 1 month later...

I haven't forgotten about this, but Invision is about to release new versions of the Forum, Blogs, Gallery, Chat and other modules and it's not worth the time for me to spend modifying/fixing issues until this is released (within a month) and I upgrade everything here. There are significant changes to the forum and the other modules (such as the Blogs) have been updated to work with this new version, but those other modules have few changes other than that. But knowing this new version is coming (it's up to Beta 3 now), it's not worth my spending a lot of time on this until this new version is available.

..Al

I'm with Al on this one. The Veruca Salt one gives me heebie-jeebies. As long as I am here I would also like to thank Al for all the work he has done on site updates and whatnot. It gets awesomer and awesomer.