IGNORED

Chase the Chuckwagon?

Pyromaniac605

Life is like that.

The Star Wars: Ewok Adventure prototype (one known copy) recently sold on Ebay for less than a copy of Pepsi Invaders (125 known copies).

Rarity is only part of the story. For Chase the Chuckwagon, there's also the "I can't believe they made a game based on that" factor.

It's like asking why Pac-Man and E.T. get no respect when Swordquest: Fireworld is worse.

• Like 1

Life is like that.

The Star Wars: Ewok Adventure prototype (one known copy) recently sold on Ebay for less than a copy of Pepsi Invaders (125 known copies).

Rarity is only part of the story. For Chase the Chuckwagon, there's also the "I can't believe they made a game based on that" factor.

It's like asking why Pac-Man and E.T. get no respect when Swordquest: Fireworld is worse.

I guess so but what is wrong with Fireworld it has pretty good graphics for a 2600 game?

-Darren-

Life is like that.

THats not a good analogy. one is a rare released game and the other a proto. protos rarely ever sell for as much as rare released games unless they are undumped ;)

I don't think CTCW is a holy grail anymore. Maybe non-collectors would see it that way, or people reading articles from 1999. I think most active collectors now have quite a list of carts that are far more holy-grail status than CTCW is, though it did hold that title for a few years and still has a little bit of mystique about it.

Almost nobody thinks Chase the Chuckwagon is a holy grail anymore. Maybe if it was boxed than we have a different story. But Chase the Chuckwagon is not the only for Holy Grail no longer a grail. Remember that Quadrun back in the day was a Holy Grail, thanks mainly to Antique Roadshow that title received way too much hype. I can't believe there was a time when that game would go for over $500 for a loose copy. If you adjust for inflation it is more like $650 for a loose copy of Quadrun.

Why is Chase the Chuckwagon considered by many to be the holy grail of the 2600 if there are so many games that are much rarer than it?

-Darren-

Well, the short answer is the CTCW isn't a "holy grail" anymore.

Back in the early days of collecting, including before the widespread use of the internet and then into the days of BBSes and then newsgroups and such, CTCW was one of the "rare" titles that was discussed, 1) because it was a mail order game and 2) because it was from Ralston-Purina (courtesy of Spectravision). The fact that there had been publicity for the game - it had to be advertised to get people to mail in their proofs of purchase and money - made finding the reference possible, although not necessarily easy.

Early collectors would share info, dish, gossip, wax nostalgic and so on, and CTCW took on legendary status. Hoo boy, it was *the* cartridge to get. Very few people at this point had heard about Video Life, MagiCard, Music Machine, Eli's Ladder, and so on. Even once much rarer cartridges became known, CTCW still had a certain cachet from all the stories told about it.

So, people who know what they are collecting for the 2600 understand where its rarity now lies, but it doesn't hurt that there still are "whispers in the wind" that encourage people to go into their attics, basements, closets and look for that rare, old Atari game. The perception of some sort of value hopefully helps some of the stuff from being trashed (and either finding its way to local thrifts, eBay, Craigslist, or even here at AA).

• Like 9

Why is Chase the Chuckwagon considered by many to be the holy grail of the 2600 if there are so many games that are much rarer than it?

-Darren-

Well, the short answer is the CTCW isn't a "holy grail" anymore.

Back in the early days of collecting, including before the widespread use of the internet and then into the days of BBSes and then newsgroups and such, CTCW was one of the "rare" titles that was discussed, 1) because it was a mail order game and 2) because it was from Ralston-Purina (courtesy of Spectravision). The fact that there had been publicity for the game - it had to be advertised to get people to mail in their proofs of purchase and money - made finding the reference possible, although not necessarily easy.

Early collectors would share info, dish, gossip, wax nostalgic and so on, and CTCW took on legendary status. Hoo boy, it was *the* cartridge to get. Very few people at this point had heard about Video Life, MagiCard, Music Machine, Eli's Ladder, and so on. Even once much rarer cartridges became known, CTCW still had a certain cachet from all the stories told about it.

So, people who know what they are collecting for the 2600 understand where its rarity now lies, but it doesn't hurt that there still are "whispers in the wind" that encourage people to go into their attics, basements, closets and look for that rare, old Atari game. The perception of some sort of value hopefully helps some of the stuff from being trashed (and either finding its way to local thrifts, eBay, Craigslist, or even here at AA).

+1 Awesome explanation! :D :cool:

• Like 1

+1 here too. I was there during the great, exciting and fun days of Usenet. To me though, CTCW will forever remain somewhat of a "holy grail" as I will continue to actively search for it out in the wild. Sure, anyone can pay whatever they're worth now to buy one off eBay or wherever, but where's the fun in that? I love the phrase "chasing the chuckwagon" too. It's how I feel when in the hunt for classic gaming goodness :)

• Like 1

I can't believe there was a time when that game would go for over $500 for a loose copy. If you adjust for inflation it is more like $650 for a loose copy of Quadrun.

Holy crap, what is it's current street value loose? I saw it in the list that someone posted yesterday I think, and it never crossed my mind that it was valuable!

I just noticed it as one I did not have. I know I don't have any "Q" games. I was trying to see if I could get one from each letter...

I can't believe there was a time when that game would go for over $500 for a loose copy. If you adjust for inflation it is more like $650 for a loose copy of Quadrun.

Holy crap, what is it's current street value loose? I saw it in the list that someone posted yesterday I think, and it never crossed my mind that it was valuable!

I just noticed it as one I did not have. I know I don't have any "Q" games. I was trying to see if I could get one from each letter...

Well, Q-Bert would set you back less... like a whole buck or so.

Plus, I'm a dolt! I have Q*bert!

I still need U,X,Z games. I just missed out on a Zaxxon recently...

For me, the only 3 higher value (more than say $25) games I would actively be seeking are

Spy Hunter, only because I bought it new, and returned it to the store because I thought is sucked so bad.

Chase the Chuckwagon, out of nostagia of collecting.

Custer's Revenge, I knew a guy that had it and remember playing it in maybe 1988 or 1989.

Plus, I'm a dolt! I have Q*bert!

I still need U,X,Z games. I just missed out on a Zaxxon recently...

Universal Chaos or Up n Down. Xenophobe should be alot easier to get than X-Man.

What would be considered the Holy Grail now?

These days there are considered to be a number of NTSC "holy grails". The main ones are:

Video Life

Birthday mania

Gamma attack

Air raid

Gauntlet

Karate

Eli's Ladder

Mangia

Magicard

Space Chase Monnogrammed

Atlantis 2

These days there are considered to be a number of NTSC "holy grails". The main ones are:

Video Life

Birthday mania

Gamma attack

Air raid

Gauntlet

Karate

Eli's Ladder

Mangia

Magicard

Space Chase Monnogrammed

Atlantis 2

Wasn't there another game called Red Sea Crossing discovered at about the same time as Birthday Mania?

I vaguely remember that the owner ended getting greedy and ran off with the cart never to be seen again.

Edited by mister_pal

Video Life

Birthday mania

Gamma attack

Air raid

Gauntlet

Karate

Eli's Ladder

Mangia

Magicard

Space Chase Monnogrammed

Atlantis 2

Wasn't there another game called Red Sea Crossing discovered at about the same time as Birthday Mania?

I vaguely remember that the owner ended getting greedy and ran off with the cart never to be seen again.

That game was never confirmed. I, for one, have my doubts.

Video Life

Birthday mania

Gamma attack

Air raid

Gauntlet

Karate

Eli's Ladder

Mangia

Magicard

Space Chase Monnogrammed

Atlantis 2

More likely he got scared his little hoax would be found out and he ran off ;)

Holy crap, what is it's current street value loose?

about $60, depending on the market, phases of the moon, etc.

I would be happy to buy your copy for $60 if it works. Please provide your PayPal address, and a photo of the cart showing it is in very good+ shape. I will throw in $5 for shipping. Seriously. The offer applies to anyone on AA.

BTW, Atari2600.com Price Guide (eBay auction tracker) places a loose cart Quaddrun recent eBay sell at $177.