IGNORED

ADAM Enhanced Game Differences

Tempest

Has anyone taken the time to write down what's different in the ADAM 'Super Game' enhanced ports of regular Colecovision games? Extra levels, more bosses, high score tables, etc.? Here are the games that got ADAM enhanced ports (that I know of anyway):

B.C. I/II (high score support only?)

Buck Rogers

Dam Busters

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Jr

Subroc

Zaxxon

And of course the Front Line demo which isn't playable. Dragons Lair doesn't count because the Colecovision version is a demo/prototype.

Tempest

From the ColecoVision FAQ at GameFAQs:

FWIW, I've now seen both a Super Donkey Kong and Super Donkey Kong Junior cart. The only extras I saw in Super DK Jr. were music during the level selection, and a fourth screen, but Super Donkey Kong adds some end-of-screen graphics (the carry-away after screen 1 and falling girders after screen 2) in addition to its fourth screen. - JH

I have an Adam myself, but am too afraid of the EMP qualities of the power supply to power it up. That, and lack of space to put it.

From what I've read here are the 'additions':

B.C. I/II - I think it's called Best of B.C. From what I've been able to tell it only adds a high score table.

Buck Rogers - Not sure actually. Sadly I've never played it despite owning about 30 copies. :)

Dam Busters - Prints off enemy position reports. Might not be compatible with the 64K RAM upgrade

Donkey Kong - Adds the fourth level, intermission graphics, intro, and high score table

Donkey Kong Jr - Adds the fourth level, intermissions, music during level select, and high score table. Also comes in a version with a fifth level which is probably unofficial.

Subroc - Never played it but I believe it adds the underwater portion of the game and some bosses

Zaxxon - Adds some extra levels and high score table (I think).

Tempest

Buck Rogers on cartridge and Super Buck Rogers for the Adam are fairly significantly different. Super Buck Rogers has a more diverse graphics set, more enemies, double the levels, more sounds, and the usual high score table. I haven't done a 1:1 comparison, though.

Some other differences:

Dam Busters - has graphics on 'death' screens. CV is text only.

Donkey Kong - barrels disappear when they hit the hammer. In CV version, they go thru the hammer and disappear when they hit Mario.

Zaxxon - has 8 skill levels. (instead of 4)

6 asteroids (instead of 2)

a continue option when game is over

a save game feature

game ending animation

Edited by ed1475

Here's a list of the differences I've noticed in Buck Rogers.

ADAM vs CV Buck Rogers

1 Nicer title screen graphics and Hall of Fame screen

2 Animation at the end of each round showing your ship being upgraded.

3 4 more gameplay screens (Adam has 10; CV only has 6)

4 10 more types of UFO's (Adam has 13 ; CV only has 3)

5 Both versions have 1 type of missile. Adam also has a rocket to avoid. (it’s either red ,yellow, or green depending on the screen your playing)

6 CV has a fixed bonus at the end of each round. Adam has of bonus bar on each screen that counts down during gameplay. At the end of each screen, bonus points are added to your score.

7 Adam has a speed control (press and hold left fire button). Speeds range from 1 to 99 as shown at bottom of screen. The speed only increases slightly and hitting ufo's becomes more difficult. On some screens (screens 1,3 and 7), the ufo's will change directions (approaching you from the front instead of the back). CV doesn't have a speed control/indicator. CV ufo’s approach from front (screens 1 & 3)

8 The Adam enemy command ship is a little smaller, less blocky and moves more smoothly than in the CV version. It also increases/decreases in size slightly giving the impression it is getting closer/farther away. The CV enemy command ship is large, blocky, its movement is choppy and it doesn't change size.

9 The Adam enemy command ship is blue on odd numbered rounds and white on even rounds. Buck Rogers ship is the opposite (white on odd rounds, blue on even rounds). On the CV version, Buck Rogers ship is always white and the enemy command ship is always yellow.

10 Red horizontal lines on the enemy command ship screen in the CV version are not present on that screen in the Adam version.

11 Explosions of Buck Rogers ship and command ship. In the Adam version, the whole screen explodes in a red/black fireball with nice sound effect. In CV version, there is a minimal explosion graphic/sound effect.

12 In the Adam version , the bluish asteroids can't be blown up. In the CV version, they can be blown up.

13 Bonus ship every 20,000 points for Adam. One bonus ship at 10,000 points in CV version.

14 Both buttons fire in CV version. In Adam, left button for speed, right button to fire.

Edited by ed1475

I just remembered something. Wasn't there an mildly enhanced version of Monkey Academy that had some extra graphics in it like flowers and such? I'm not sure if this was an ADAM only port or a Colecovision port.

Tempest

I'm not sure about Monkey Academy but the unreleased Cabbage Patch kids had flowers on the opening screen and some other extra grapchics.

I think there is a 256k tape version of Evolution that should be different from the CV version. I'll need to try to find the .tap image though to check for differences.

And Choplifter for the Best of Broderbund has a really nice title screen. The CV version had the standard title screen.

I think there is a 256k tape version of Evolution that should be different from the CV version. I'll need to try to find the .tap image though to check for differences.

Really? First of heard of that. It seems that Sydney was doing enhanced versions of some of their games but didn't sell them outside of Canada. I have a B.C. II tape that was only sold in Canada (from what I gather) but I can't see any differences in it. Someone said that the title screen was animated, but it only has two screens both static (one before the starting gun is fired and one after). I'm not sure if the cart version had this or not, I can't stand the game it's too hard!

Tempest