IGNORED

Commodore 64 reincarnated as quad-core Ubuntu box

My subject line came from an article on The Register. Interesting that Commodore USA would come out with this. Basically it is designed to emulate a LOT of types of older hardware.

Original article: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/25/commodore_64_redux/

Specs: http://www.commodoreusa.net/tech.html

See also the main website for old time images: http://www.commodoreusa.net/

Huh. I kinda like it! The quick look I took didn't show me anything about emulation or anything like that, but it DID show me that there wasn't a Commodore logo prominently displayed anywhere (at least, I didn't notice one). Kind of a cool idea for them to get back to their roots in a sense, but I'm skeptical that it will have much use outside of an office or retail location.

Yeah, "reincarnated" in the same sense that the fat lady down the street with all the cats is the reincarnation of Cleopatra. The fact that they left the chickenlips off the unit (not even on the function keys) tells me this is yet another attempt to cash in on something beloved by making a version that has nothing in common with the original other than the name (ref. any major Hollywood movie based on a well-loved childhood book).

...we are diligently and fervently entrenched in the negotiations that will allow us to place this cute little logo nameplate on our all-in-one computer.

Source

So obviously they don't own the rights to the Commodorelogo or even have a license to use it on their.....crap.

What I don't get about this computer is why I'd want it? It's basically a big sucker of a Wintel laptop with no built in monitor, so what's the point?

Edited by Trooper

How is that computer anything like a C64?

The case design is inspired by the C64. That's about it.

However, I like it, it really looks very compact, they're propably right when they claim it's the smallest desktop PC in existance - only Notebooks are even smaller.

I would really like to see some independent review of that machine somewhere. Especially if there are any problems with heat or something like that, things you can't make out from the specifications alone.

Edited by Herbarius

It is actually just this machine: http://www.cybernetman.com/en/products/zero-footprint-pc/zpc-gx31.cfm

They are in negotiations apparently to allow them to sell the above machines Branded with the Commodore logo. That's about it.

Pull the logo off your C64 and stick it on your current PC, there you've done the same thing. If they would at least put some effort into it like maybe a C64 color scheme and bundled with Cloanto C64 Forever package then at least that would be something.

If they would at least put some effort into it like maybe a C64 color scheme and bundled with Cloanto C64 Forever package then at least that would be something.

Exactly. If you fired it up from the factory and it had a query to boot into Windows vs C64 emulation mode, and would start up as an emulated C64 with a library of utilites, applications and games, now that might be cool.

If they would at least put some effort into it like maybe a C64 color scheme and bundled with Cloanto C64 Forever package then at least that would be something.

Exactly. If you fired it up from the factory and it had a query to boot into Windows vs C64 emulation mode, and would start up as an emulated C64 with a library of utilites, applications and games, now that might be cool.

Now if it did that I'd be down for one!

It's not even as up to date as it should be: no USB 3.0, DVI instead of HDMI etc., etc., ...

I saw those keyboard PCs advertised for years in PC Magazine, back when I used to read it when it was still in print, seemed a cool idea but I don't think they have ever really taken off...

For a lot less $, you could just get a real C64 with a Jim Brain uIEC (or whatever)... you'd likely be in it for less than a hundred bucks. I realize that you realize this, just making the point of how pointless this machine is (to me, opinions allowed to vary).

For a lot less $, you could just get a real C64 with a Jim Brain uIEC (or whatever)... you'd likely be in it for less than a hundred bucks. I realize that you realize this, just making the point of how pointless this machine is (to me, opinions allowed to vary).

Oh agreed. However, I'm actually in the market for a new machine for day to day use anyway. I saw this post and thought if I was going to spend money anyway, why not have a bit of fun. ;)

Oh agreed. However, I'm actually in the market for a new machine for day to day use anyway. I saw this post and thought if I was going to spend money anyway, why not have a bit of fun. ;)

Yeah, no problem with that. And in a few years, you'll have a collectible rarity, to boot!

Yeah, no problem with that. And in a few years, you'll have a collectible rarity, to boot!

See practical, yet whimsical...:P

Web-It computer?

http://www.thosewerethedays.de/items/hardware_misc/web_it1.jpg

Edited by high voltage

Wow, that website is totally bogus. Those computers have been out for years. I almost bought one at the Taylor Trade Center a few moths ago. Its a ZPC-GX I think. NOTHING Commodore.

It seems what they are doing, is thinking they are clever and trying to buy out the rights to put the commodore logo on this cheap computer.

Maybe if they had a tan colored one that came packaged with full C64 emulation and a library of software and abandonware, and a price under $500 then maybe..

It's not even as up to date as it should be: no USB 3.0, DVI instead of HDMI etc., etc., ...

I saw those keyboard PCs advertised for years in PC Magazine, back when I used to read it when it was still in print, seemed a cool idea but I don't think they have ever really taken off...

Ummm PC magizine isn't out of print. :roll: :roll: :roll:

-Darren-