IGNORED

Just another eBay shipping rant...

phaxda

Yes, I bought another large Atari 2600 lot. The seller seemed like a stand-up guy, responded to my usual "please pack well" mail and was very communicative about when things were shipped etc. The lot was large enough to require two boxes. I got the first box yesterday with the games in it and one system, which was non-working. Minimal packing material used, but games are hearty and one of the systems was advertised as not working and I figured this was the one. Shrug, I can deal with that. Box #2 came today and when I picked it up I heard rattling, not a good sign. But I opened it up and saw some foam on top, so was a little more hopeful!

post-6271-126958712948_thumb.jpg

Oh, but what's this? That's the only padding in the box?

post-6271-12695871352_thumb.jpg

You got to be kidding me... let's pull the systems out and see what waits at the bottom...

post-6271-12695871457_thumb.jpg

You can see the damage loose power supplies can do. Look close, you can see the shards of Atari plastic as well. Not to mention the other systems on top of this one--one of those was busted beyond repair (internal damage) as well. I am now up to TEN broken systems in my possession and I think it's time to quit buying for good. No one really gives a care about packing well, no matter how much they talk a good game and say "look at my feedback." I should have listened to the 2 or three negs this guy had but I thought I could get a good deal. WRONG. AGAIN. I am awaiting response from the seller.

Not worth the time and trouble. God knows I love Atari stuff, but my rescue center is closed.

Please post this seller so we can all avoid him. That's ridiculous. :x

Absolutely! Especially after you asked him to pack well. You know, this language of ours - English here in Amerika, you've got to be more than succinct these days. Long gone are the days were you can assume your fellow man is on the same page. I use verbiage such as 'individually wrap each item in bubble wrap so items do not rub up against each other'... almost have to talk like they're infants today. It's just the way it is, especially with generation 'Y' or Gen Next folks.

I've had the same problems with sellers when asking them about shipping in advance (and posted about it in another thread). I recently asked a seller if they'd ship a Star Trek:TNG DVD set in a box and they said "Yes". Of curse, when I got it it was shipped in a plain manilla envelope. Not even a Bubblope. So you can't even trust sellers to tell the truth when you ask them questions in advance.

..Al

I've had the same problems with sellers when asking them about shipping in advance (and posted about it in another thread). I recently asked a seller if they'd ship a Star Trek:TNG DVD set in a box and they said "Yes". Of curse, when I got it it was shipped in a plain manilla envelope. Not even a Bubblope. So you can't even trust sellers to tell the truth when you ask them questions in advance.

..Al

But that's what I'm saying... you have to be even more succinct than that, because in their limited pea-brained minds, he did ship the disks in a box... lol The original box that the disks came in. I wonder, had you re-worded your request (because you assumed he'd be normal and decent) to say something like: "please place the boxed DVD set in a box, not an envelope"... see what I'm saying? Common sense is pretty much dead today. These are literal, zombified times we're living in. I've been working on a project the past couple of days that shows marketing demographics between the 4 generations of our time. The Generation Y'ers are on a very different wavelength than even Generation X when it comes to common sense. The language and communication is eroding at the speed of light.

But anywho... had you worded your request so exact and the guy STILL packed it the way he did - then obviously he didn't give a hoot or is what I would consider to be borderline retarded. Methinks he just needed more exacting instructions though :)

But anywho... had you worded your request so exact and the guy STILL packed it the way he did - then obviously he didn't give a hoot or is what I would consider to be borderline retarded. Methinks he just needed more exacting instructions though :)

I wasn't quite clear enough. I typically ask, "Will you ship this item well packaged in a separate box?" which I'm sure is what I did with the dolt who sent those DVDs in a manila envelope. Even then, if someone asks simply, "Will you ship this in a box?" and they ship it in an envelope, they are lying, intentionally or otherwise.

..Al

I wrote the seller and told him I had pictures available if he would like to see them. He will be issuing a partial refund.

I will likely be leaving neutral feedback. The seller has been very communicative, immediately offered a refund after my first message (along with a promise to pack better), and admitted fault ("See I figured if the systems were packed tight they would be snug and fine, but that seemed not the case here. Its a misfire on my part.").

He gets the fact that he didn't quite do this right or even close... Also, it probably shouldn't make a difference, but the buy was a very good deal to begin with and with a refund it's still a decent deal. The seller is also out a lot in shipping costs (and he paid for insurance, which is kind of a total WTF) so to push this any further is kind of pointless. I am just sorry that two consoles had to die in the process. Anyone interested, see my post in Marketplace re: busted systems.

I've cooled down a bit from last night and I'm going to turn this into a positive by using these pictures on my eBay page as examples of what you can get from bad sellers as opposed to semiprofessionals such as myself when buying on eBay. :D I am also going to throw some business GameGavel's way--I'd really like to offer some nice well-packed system lots for a reasonable price as their audience grows and maybe make a little comparison chart. eBay: high fees and stuff boxed crappily like this: [these photos] GameGavel: low fees and good sellers [pic of one of my heavily padded boxes]. Or something like that.

Sorry to see this, what a shame..

A) Did you write this seller and include your pictures?

B) What type of feedback do you intend on leaving?

..Al

Insurance - ha! These people also do not know or don't care to know, that insurance is worthless when packed so horribly. Had you taken something like that back for a claim, the Postmaster General or UPS person would have laughed at the packing job and denied it. It's happened to me before :(

And usually when you insure a package at USPS, they ask if it's packed well. I wonder what was going through the guys mind that day. lol

Well, I'm happy to hear the guy is being decent about it and claims that he's learned a lesson. Still, this should not have happened. Most people nowadays are so unbelievably stupid. I totally agree with save2600. Our society is degrading before our very eyes. And get off my lawn you damn kids!

• Like 1

PM sent, monkeyman! I have received my refund and will see what the market will bear for the systems that survived. Definitely not one of my better deals, but hopefully a more educated seller. Because I was asked, here is the link to the seller, but again, I want to stress that he did right by me in the end and just made a mistake, as we all do from time to time. I am all about forgiveness and moving on.

eBay Seller: greek-games1?ff3=10&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]