IGNORED

ProSystem developer requests

GroovyBee

I know there is a more cycle accurate version of ProSystem in the works but v1.3e is all we've got at the moment. I've back-ported most of the Wii changes (like HSC support) to the current PC version. Are there any other features developers would like? So far on my list is :-

- RAM filled with random values and not 0x00 - Done

- SaveKey support.

- Developer debug port - Done (in an a personal copy of an older version).

- Latest Underball NTSC palette.

The developer debug port allows values written to a specific memory location in the 6502 memory map to be written into a file on the PC. Its nothing like having a fully capable debugger but its better than nothing.

I'm also going to make changes to the saved state file. The Wii version adds extra information to the file and then looks at file sizes to decide what it should do when it loads one back in. That's not a very robust approach to me so I'm going to add a version number. Don't worry old save state files will still work. The new save state files will not be compatible with older versions of ProSystem though.

There will be some changes to the prosystem.dat file so that HSC, SaveKey etc. can be enabled/disabled on a per game basis.

Before anybody asks I'm not going to try and make the emulator more compatible with the back catalogue of games. These modifications are to help fellow homebrewers.

I'm not going to add a complex debugger front end either because it could potentially be wasted effort with a new version on the horizon.

Any other developer requests?

If anybody has links to ProSystem ports to other target machines that would be good too. I think it would be better if there was one set of source code that could be built for various targets. Then at least all emulators would be on a level playing field and therefore bugs would be fixed and improvements made across the board.

I'll look at the integration of other systems after I've made the changes to the current PC version.

I'm adding a status bar at the bottom of the emulator window. This will show the current state of the left and right difficulty switches and if the HSC has been accessed by the game.

Since I'm not a windows programmer its slow going :lol:. The status bar has been added to the window I just need to populate it with information now.

I'm adding a status bar at the bottom of the emulator window. This will show the current state of the left and right difficulty switches and if the HSC has been accessed by the game.

Since I'm not a windows programmer its slow going :lol:. The status bar has been added to the window I just need to populate it with information now.

Does this mean that Difficulty switches will act as click-on click-off switches, as opposed to having to hold them down?

Does this mean that Difficulty switches will act as click-on click-off switches, as opposed to having to hold them down?

Yep! The holding down behaviour is *so* annoying.

Now the harder question is, can this become part of the core code, as opposed to the Windows GUI code, so I can put in into the PSP port without too much trouble?

Edited by Underball

Now the harder question is, can this become part of the core code, as opposed to the Windows GUI code, so I can put in into the PSP port without too much trouble?

Its not really a "Core" thing. Give me a link to the PSP port source code and I'll have a look at it after I've done the PC version. Ideally I'd like the PSP, Wii and PC versions to share the same set of Core source with some build flags for differences. Obviously each target machine will still need its own GUI and miscellaneous support code.

Last update for today :-

Difficulty switch toggling - Done.

State of difficulty switches on status bar - Done.

State of HSC on status bar - Done.

The status bar doesn't always display correctly when you resize the window. Since I'm not a windows guy I might put a call out to any Windows programmer gurus to give me a hand if I can't get it all going tomorrow.

The last state of the difficulty switches will be saved in the *.ini file too.

I'm also going to make changes to the saved state file. The Wii version adds extra information to the file and then looks at file sizes to decide what it should do when it loads one back in. That's not a very robust approach to me so I'm going to add a version number. Don't worry old save state files will still work. The new save state files will not be compatible with older versions of ProSystem though.

According to my notes, I think RIOT DRA/DRB aren't currently in the savestate file. There might be other things missing as well, not sure what was added to the Wii version.

I've modified the way display list interrupts are handled to try and match the hardware. What games have display problems in earlier versions of ProSystem? For example Commando in my latest version no longer has the yellow jitter over the text at the bottom of the screen :).

Kung Fu master had minor issues

The two coloured lines top left have disappeared with the update from the Wii source code modifications. Are there any other problems?

One on One had timing issues. Centipede and MIA both had display issues.

I haven't noticed anything wrong with Centipede. Can you elaborate on that? MIA crashes after the first level. However the sprites now animate correctly compared to 1.3e. What do you mean by One on One's timing issues?

Kung Fu master had minor issues

The two coloured lines top left have disappeared with the update from the Wii source code modifications. Are there any other problems?

One on One had timing issues. Centipede and MIA both had display issues.

I haven't noticed anything wrong with Centipede. Can you elaborate on that? MIA crashes after the first level. However the sprites now animate correctly compared to 1.3e. What do you mean by One on One's timing issues?

The Centipede issues I was remembering were in MESS, so my mistake on that one.

Now that I think about it, it seems like there needs to be a setting changed in the DAT file for MIA. I don't have an entry for it in my current ProSystem setup so that may be the issue.

One on One plays three or four times faster than the correct speed. Though this may be out of scope for your current changes.

Mitch