IGNORED

What is your favorite High Score Club?

In which HSC do you compete or want to compete in the future?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. In which HSC do you compete now or want to compete in the future?

• Atari 2600 HSC
    • Atari 5200 HSC
    • Atari 7800 HSC
    • Atari Lynx HSC
    • Atari Jaguar HSC
    • ColecoVision HSC
    • Intellivison HSC
    • NES HSC
    • SMS HSC
    • Arcade/MAME HSC
    • Atari 8-bit HSC
    • Vectrex HSC (not realized at the moment)
    • Odyssey 2/Philips G 7000 HSC (not realized at the moment)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

2600 is my favorite because it's got one of the biggest selections to choose from.

Intellivision is soon becoming a favorite as well...

I often forget the NES HSC, and when I remember it's a game I don't own.

Same with Atari 7800.

I don't have working 5200 controllers.

I don't own Colecovision. (expensive)

I don't own any Sega system.

There's only so much room left for storing video games. Emulators are fine, but I don't

remember how to download and tweak them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I enjoy the high score competitions!

I'd play in all if I could, but have limited myself to the Sega Master System and Nintendo Entertainment System as I have a pretty decent amount of games for these console…

I am only able to play what I have as I don't have the means for emulation…

• 8 months later...

Arcade/MAME FTW.

My problem with the console HSC's is that my game libraries on real hardware are limited in scope to specific games I want to own (i.e. I'm not a collector/hoarder), and I can't stand playing console games on emulators.

Which is kind of funny, considering I exclusively use MAME--an emulation platform--for my HSC of preference. I think the fact that I play the games on my MAME cabinet is a big factor that helps drive home the experience; if my only option was to sit at a computer desk with a gamepad, I probably wouldn't have any interest at all in participating.

Plus, there's just something about classic arcade games--they have so much soul. I think part of the reason for that might be that they didn't all run on standardized hardware like console games do, and hence, the games all have a unique look and feel. Plus, they're so damn challenging (most of the time) that when you start to improve your skills and get higher and higher scores, it's very satisfying.

Here's a picture of the control panel I built for my cabinet:

post-27528-0-55281700-1311783918_thumb.jpg

Arcade/MAME FTW.

My problem with the console HSC's is that my game libraries on real hardware are limited in scope to specific games I want to own (i.e. I'm not a collector/hoarder), and I can't stand playing console games on emulators.

Which is kind of funny, considering I exclusively use MAME--an emulation platform--for my HSC of preference. I think the fact that I play the games on my MAME cabinet is a big factor that helps drive home the experience; if my only option was to sit at a computer desk with a gamepad, I probably wouldn't have any interest at all in participating.

^ ditto...the only time I play console games in emulation is to see home brews...but even then I probably play less than 5 minutes at a time