IGNORED

HSC Season 7 Game 7: Zone Ranger

Game closes Sun 18th April 10am GMT

Zone Ranger

From memory a shoot 'em up with a difference, starts of easyish with you being able to fly through walls and more things become active as you progress through the levels... ok that's a really bad description so best check the instructions on the atarimania link above :)

Atarimania rating 7.5

Good luck :!:

8224 for first try -- I found the Level 7 warp but how do you 'beat' a level? Can't beat level 7 or even level 1 for that matter unless I take the warp!

I'd ignore the level 7 warp and work your way through the levels, shoot them satellites "+" thingys, go into the complex when you see it, collect all the stars and then exit by the red thing, then touch the funny thing that bothers you and then finish the satellites off, simple eh?! ok read the proper instructions on atarimania (link above) as it has pictures etc :)

p.s. screenshot added Mr.A. I keep forgetting to click all the boxes ;)

11,589 Level 8 - after a few goes going much quicker = more bonus :D

post-19705-12707187974_thumb.jpg

What's that dot below the 9... cut & paste error when you faked the score? :D

Are you playing in PAL or something? I heard games are slower on PAL machines. Is that the secret of your success? ;)

I nearly killed myself getting 9309. I don't think I can do any better.

Are you playing in PAL or something? I heard games are slower on PAL machines. Is that the secret of your success? ;)

Yes, it's PAL in the UK, can't do much about the electricity supply here... I'm sure it's as much of a hindrance in many games as they are too darn slow :ponder: but, if Deteacher can do so well in the U.S. then maybe you have to take a look at the joystick you're using? or could it be something else :D

A couple of goes every day, sending poobah to the moon and only letting Fandal play every other game is the secret to my success :)

Don't forget to post any scores in the April Bonus Tourney folks :!:

mini table

1st deteacher 16,103 (L11)

2nd therealbountybob 11,589 (8)

3rd Mr.Amiga500 9,309 (8)

4th Cebus Capucinis 8,224 (7)

5th Preppie!! 7,784 (7)

6th roadrunner 7,693 (7)

p.s. I put an 8 in brackets not a cool face :)

Yes, it's PAL in the UK, can't do much about the electricity supply here... I'm sure it's as much of a hindrance in many games as they are too darn slow :ponder: but, if Deteacher can do so well in the U.S. then maybe you have to take a look at the joystick you're using? or could it be something else :D

A couple of goes every day, sending poobah to the moon and only letting Fandal play every other game is the secret to my success :)

mini table

5th Preppie!! 7,784 (7)

6th roadrunner 7,693 (7)

I just played this game for a few seconds-- ran into some sort of black hole and got a big bonus.

I tried it with a TAC-2 and a Competition Pro. Maybe I just need to replace my hands.

My theory (...I like to make theories to explain why I'm losing...) is that Deteacher is playing with an emulator, not a real Atari, and that gives him some advantage... an advantage I know nothing about... an advantage that will destroy all my hopes and dreams and allow DETEACHER TO WIN AND GO ON TO ONE DAY CONTROL THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE!!! (...somehow)

Awww... I thought it meant I was cool. You ruined my illusions of coolness.

I want to play in the Bonus Tourney but it doesn't work for me! I am also a jerkface that refuses to use an emulator so perhaps I won't get the points :(

I prefer to use the real h/w too... have you a working drive but not got APE/SIO2PC ? What if someone sent you a floppy disk with the games on it :?:

I read this so I guess they do support BASIC but I guess you only have 1 cart?! - have you asked on the main forum about this yet :?:

>>>

Any configuration options set in the cartridge when its image was created, for example, enable/disable BASIC, enable/disable 800 OSB Translator, etc, will be configured automatically by the cartridge software.

<<<

I tried it with a TAC-2 and a Competition Pro. Maybe I just need to replace my hands.

My theory (...I like to make theories to explain why I'm losing...) is that Deteacher is playing with an emulator, not a real Atari, and that gives him some advantage... an advantage I know nothing about... an advantage that will destroy all my hopes and dreams and allow DETEACHER TO WIN AND GO ON TO ONE DAY CONTROL THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE!!! (...somehow)

Today's efforts <8K.

This may destory Deteacher's dreams: just noticed that if you take the warp box on level 1 to get to level 7 you are given a score of 7,500 - my 11K was played through from level 1. If anyone takes this warp please subtract this 7,500 from your score or better still DON'T take the warp folks, you know we do things the hard way in the HSC ;)

Mr.A. you are more :rolling: than 8) hang on isn't :cool: cool? so maybe it's a blind dude, in which case you're doing really well... no sub-discussion and atariksi handicapping formulae now, lets stick to topic (for a change) :lol:

Today's efforts <8K.

This may destory Deteacher's dreams: just noticed that if you take the warp box on level 1 to get to level 7 you are given a score of 7,500 - my 11K was played through from level 1. If anyone takes this warp please subtract this 7,500 from your score or better still DON'T take the warp folks, you know we do things the hard way in the HSC ;)

Mr.A. you are more :rolling: than 8) hang on isn't :cool: cool? so maybe it's a blind dude, in which case you're doing really well... no sub-discussion and atariksi handicapping formulae now, lets stick to topic (for a change) :lol:

So you're trying to eliminate my score by claiming we need to go the hard-way (no black-hole/warp box). This isn't Hard-way Scoring Club. I think we already discussed the grand-universal scoring equation in some past HSC thread where the level (L) was taken into account: S' = S*PI^L/3^L.

mini table

5th Preppie!! 7,784 (7)

6th roadrunner 7,693 (7)

Thanks Bob! :)

I'm playing on emu with a CX-40 connected with the Stelladaptor. This has always been a favorite of mine. I played the Hell out of this game growing up.

17,607. Level 10 (I have no idea how I beat my score but didn't get as far as before.) ;)

post-9712-127077871902_thumb.png

P.S. This score (as was the last one) was earned by starting at level 1 and NOT taking the warp.

Edited by Deteacher

Today's efforts <8K.

So you're trying to eliminate my score by claiming we need to go the hard-way (no black-hole/warp box). This isn't Hard-way Scoring Club. I think we already discussed the grand-universal scoring equation in some past HSC thread where the level (L) was taken into account: S' = S*PI^L/3^L.

OK, take the warp or not, all scores stand. The advantage is 7,500 flat score the disadvantage is you don't score more than that for levels 1-6, don't accrue extra men and have the fun of playing the easier levels... I just played through from 1-13 and scored 24,665. If anoyone posts less than 7,500 I'll add 7,500 to their score to give people who don't take the warp a chance to compete ;)

Tips - get to the indoor complex pretzel/shreddie thingy early on and then the strange thing will take care of the satellites for you, once you touch him. Bonus rounds every 3 levels are easy so go quickly and don't crash and get a load of points and extra men...

post-19705-12710011239_thumb.jpg

Tips - get to the indoor complex pretzel/shreddie thingy early on and then the strange thing will take care of the satellites for you, once you touch him. Bonus rounds every 3 levels are easy so go quickly and don't crash and get a load of points and extra men...

Could you explain that using more technical terminology? I don't know what a "pretzel/shreddie thingy" is or why you would want to touch him.

Could you explain that using more technical terminology? I don't know what a "pretzel/shreddie thingy" is or why you would want to touch him.

you need to fly into the pretzel (that was my desciption for people stateside) and shreddie (maltie would be the supermarket own brand, for people in the UK) was the maze like icon, you need to touch the thing that bothers you when you exit from the inside ship bit and he'll go off and disable or was it fix the satellites (maybe he'll fix my laptop and stop it overheating?), now that's all crystal clear you can have a proper go and play though the levels without being overwhelmed by space critters :D