IGNORED

Just completed Pitfall II for the first time

nester

:thumbsup: Congratulation, Nester for beating Pitfall 2! :thumbsup:

I remember when I completed it the first time as a kid (it was an saturday evening). The hardest part is when you have to pass all the floors with bats and birds.

Since I came back to the VCS2600 5 years ago I play a complete round every year. This game never gets boring.

There is no end to pitfall 1, it is just 256 rooms that loop. You can collect all the treasures in the time and maybe get a perfect score, but the timer is the end.

So ugh...sounds like you never beat the game.

congrats Nester! Pitfall 2 is pretty hard

I guess not...

I know I found and got all of the treasures, just not in the same game!

I have a drawing somewhere still of my map that I made then, I need to scan it if I ever find it.

:rolling: I made a map, lost it back in Germany when I moved it was about 15 sheets wide with every screen hand drawn...good times.

I've completed Pitfall 2 with the perfect score about 10 times,but Pitfall 1,no luck,never did find all treasures. :sad:

Pitfall 1, just need a map and to not die... (I never made it all the way around myself, but I did map all the rooms myself back in the day by going both directions, mapping usable shortcuts... I had my own code like G-RL-V for gators with rolling logs and a vine.

Pitfall 2, I could NEVER get a perfect. Dam vultures get me eventually.

Yeah,i know about the maps for Pitfall 1,problem is,i lose track of which screen I'm in,and with the time limit,argh! :x

Edited by Rik

So just to verify, do you go left or right in pitfall 1? I always go left, even though I usually run the timer out before I lose a life... I think because when I was still dying, I liked spawning on the side I was trying to get to. Can make the barrels worse, though, since you're both going the same way contact can last longer. I didn't know that the tunnels skipped screens on you until recently.

So just to verify, do you go left or right in pitfall 1? I always go left, even though I usually run the timer out before I lose a life... I think because when I was still dying, I liked spawning on the side I was trying to get to. Can make the barrels worse, though, since you're both going the same way contact can last longer. I didn't know that the tunnels skipped screens on you until recently.

left is faster, you cannot make it if you do not use tunnels. I think you start by going right to get to the first shortcut tunnel that goes left. If you want to get the most fun out of it and make a map yourself. go as far as you can to the left mapping each room, mainly mapping treasure locations, and ladders and walls so you know where you can go up or down and which direction.

then go to the right until you are sure you hit the part of the map that you ended on going left. then plan out your route! Having a significant other map while you run is the best way.

I used the map for Pitfall! and took the shortest routes but still couldn't get to the last treasure. I was about two or three screens away from it when I ran out of time.

So I would agree that Pitfall! is harder than Pitfall II.

Edited by Atarian7

So just to verify, do you go left or right in pitfall 1? I always go left, even though I usually run the timer out before I lose a life...

Taking the easiest route, you start out going right but go left most of the time. Because of the tunnel layout, sometimes you end up passing a treasure then have to go back for it. Attached is a .zip file with a map and a text walkthrough.

PitfallWalkthru.zip

Edited by A.J. Franzman
  • Like 1

Awesome, thanks. I'm pretty confident I can do it since I could basically tape the joystick down and still survive the 20 mins (if that's the actual time being counted). I haven't been down in the tunnels for a long time though.. haha. That sounded pretty serious.

I am pretty tempted to do a series of gamebooks based on atari titles... since I can't really contribute much else here.

Well I beat it again and this time got 175,000. I might actually be able to get a perfect score if I keep at it. I've never done that on an Atari game before. I could've done it with Laser Blast, but I didn't really feel like playing it for 6 hours straight.

I will probably get it for 5200 some day, but I need to get a new controller first. Those things really do break all the time. I always thought that was just an exaggeration.

Pitfall II for the VCS was the first game I ever beat, I think. Actually, I'm pretty sure I'd beaten ET before that, but Pitfall II was the first game I ever realized "Hey, I just beat this game!!" It was a pretty crazy feeling. The second game I (realized I) beat was Pitfall II for the Commodore 64 at a friend's house. I wanted to show him how it was done.

The second quest in 5200 Pitfall II is HARD. Great ending, though. You didn't see real endings barely ever in games back then.

-Rob

Nice job! I remember the first time I did it, it was like FINALLY! That last bit with the swarm of condors and bats got pretty frustrating.

Super fun game.

Awesome!

Yeah, that lest section, don't know if it was supposed to be just an ultra hard gauntlet (preform the same task seemingly endlessly) or if they just ran out of Ideas for the map :lol:

there is an ending to this game?!?!?!?!?!? :)

:P

Now it's time to move on to the 5200 version and play the 2nd stage :P

I'd love to play the 5200 version more, but you have to play the first game to get to the second one, and for some reason, by then I'm just like "eh, feck it" and turn it off.

I'd love to play the 5200 version more, but you have to play the first game to get to the second one, and for some reason, by then I'm just like "eh, feck it" and turn it off.

I know what you're saying.. I actually ended up playing it in an emulator simply so I could save at that point. It works great, but the 2nd level is a beast. I haven't gotten very far in it :lol:

I know what you're saying.. I actually ended up playing it in an emulator simply so I could save at that point. It works great, but the 2nd level is a beast. I haven't gotten very far in it :lol:

I remember way back when homebrew was just starting on the 5200, asking if someone could take pitfallii and cut the first game off and make a cart5 with the second one only. Unfortunately, it either wasn't possible, people weren't interested, couldn't do it, or were to afraid for "legal reasons" (though i see WAY to many games, even getting produced and sold that IMO probably fit in he "legal reasons" dept, so I don't know)

I did emulation too, but it's just not the same :(

• 10 months later...

I managed to get a perfect Piffall 2 score back when it first came out. Here is the map I drew up from back in the day.

Great map!

The one I really want to find is the one I drew for Hacker II. (PC game)

Kinda old, and barely related, but I was going through old stuff today and found this in my "Lost Treasures of Infocom" box. It is the map I drew for Hacker II The Doomsday Papers. I drew it in 1986. I found some on the internet, but none with the route and times of the guard... I also got it working on dosbox, and might give it a try. It was a game of patience and planning, more than any I have played since.post-25375-129947264468_thumb.jpg

Considering that you can't screw up once in Pitfall 2 to get the perfect score, I still can't believe I've gotten the perfect score 5-6 times.That was about 1.5-2 years ago.I'm not sure if i can still do it.Now I'll try to get 114,000, and all treasures in Pitfall.The part I screw up in Pitfall 2 is when i jump and miss ledges, which when you land, you lose points.The condors and bats in Pitfall 2 can all be beat, just perfect timing is needed.It just takes a lot of practice, becomes second nature if you do it enough, like riding a bicycle, that's the case for me anyway.

I managed to get a perfect score when this was the game of the week for the HSC (last October). Nearly 30 years separated perfect runs for me.

post-11623-128673891864_thumb.jpg

I was in that October HSC Perfect club, too. icon_thumbsup.gif I've had my cart for 30 years, too, but never got around to putting much time into until last October.

http://www.atariage....ost__p__2113849

Nester, you're so close. Go get that perfect score. We'll be waiting for it.