IGNORED

Asteroids World Record Beaten After 28 Years

Back in the 80's my younger brother would play on the Asteroids machine at a local pizza parlor for hours on a quarter... he would rack up a ton of free ships then leave the machine to hit the restroom or get a drink and would be back before the last ship was dead and continue on. I don't ever remember him finishing a game, we had to be home before our father got home at 5:30 for dinner each night.

I have often been curious to know just how long he could have played the game if he didn't have to leave. He was also just as good on Robotron.

I remember being quite happy to get a free man at 10000, and that virtually ensured I'd get to enter my initials, though since they disappeared every time the game was turned off, having a top 10 players was quite anti-climactic.

The links for this story explain nothing as they are links to sites you have to join to access, or so it appears as nothing much happened as I clicked on them hoping to see how anyone could amass so many free men to take food and bethroom breaks and score 4 million points? I always was frustrated by how the small ufo's fire almost always cost me a man, even if I tried to just cross the screen, thrusting at full throttle, that one pixes from the ufo always seemed to find your ship. Even seeing his fire coming toward you, there never seemed to be time to press the hyperspace and get out of the way, or blow up upon re-entering the screen after successfully hyperspacing out of harms way. That was supposed to be a possibility, seemed like 90% of the time pressing hyperspace resulted in you dying anyway...any way you look at it, 60 hours awake? doing the same thing? I watched the you whole 12 minute sped up you tube video of someone completing Ghosts'n'goblins, he made it look so easy. I can't make it two minutes into that game and I'm ready to set a bomb under it as repetition drives me nuts, and starting over every time you died was so annoying, so playing asteroids for 60 hours...geez. It would still be nice to watch a couple of the final minutes of this feat, as obviously asteroids doesn't get any harder after a certain point once you figure out how to evade the fast aimed missiles of the small ufo, key to surviving at this, as there is nothing else about the game that would kill you if you don't go mindlessly creating small fast rocks and destroy each one methodically, there is nothing else to cost you a man besides the small ufo's fast shots. So fatigue had to be the deal breaker causing 4 million and change to end it for these three guys who hold the records on asteroids.

• 2 weeks later...

Also:

http://www.examiner....ds-world-record

McAllister was at Richie Knucklez in Flemington for CAGDC 2010 a couple of weeks ago. In the pic that's McAllister on the left, me in the back and my son in the front...

A couple weeks ago? Why wasn't I informed? I would have loved to went. :D