IGNORED

Wanted: Atari SC1224 Monitor

flashjazzcat

I'm looking for an Atari SC1224 Monitor, specifically the type with the flat grey bezel. I missed one on eBay a few months back for about 5GBP but they seem thin on the ground at the moment. Good condition preferred, although I can restore the case as long as the screen's in good working order. Would prefer to see photos of monitor in operation. Please PM.

I can't help with getting one, but I do have some questions!

Why are you looking for the one with the flat gray bezel? If I understand, this would be the Goldstar - the one that looks like the SM124 monochrome, right?

I just "scored" a couple SC1224 and I specifically wanted the JVC model - the original one with the 2-color bezel. Why? Well, it's the original that I have nostalgia for, first. I had a hell of a time scraping together the $399 back in 1986 (ish). ST graphics looked SO cool through the shiny glass that glares badly, but gives the graphics kind of a "gloss." Second, I was under the impression that it's "JVC quality" and "Made In Japan" quality. Flip side? They're older than Methuselah. One is here and fantastic; I took it apart and cleaned it and now it's like new. Other in the mail, remains to be seen!

But now I am wondering about the others, since it's likely you know more than I do. Why do you want the Goldstar? Does it do both NTSC and PAL or something?

post-16281-127105815894_thumb.jpg JVC

post-16281-127105816832_thumb.jpg GOLDSTAR

post-16281-127105817864_thumb.jpg SAMSUNG

Why are you looking for the one with the flat gray bezel? If I understand, this would be the Goldstar - the one that looks like the SM124 monochrome, right?

Yes, it's the one with the same case as the SM124 which I'm after. The reason? I just prefer the styling! icon_smile.gif I'd take one of the others if the price was right, I guess.

I just sold mine a few months back. These are becoming hard to find nowadays... good luck buddy!icon_shades.gif

Thanks. If I'd realized how rare they are becoming I wouldn't have thought twice about spending the money on the one I missed.

But now I am wondering about the others, since it's likely you know more than I do. Why do you want the Goldstar? Does it do both NTSC and PAL or something?

I don't know a whole lot about them, but I do know that it should work with a VBXE equipped 8-bit. Imagine my ST with an SM124 and my 130XE running through an SC1224. That's got to be a dream worth living! icon_mrgreen.gif

Edited by flashjazzcat

I see you found my site: http://www.atari7800.org/monitor.htm :)

For the RGB monitors there is no NTSC or PAL. It's only 110 Volts vs 220 Volts.

Mitch

Oops! Sorry to ripoff your pics. I wouldn't have posted them on my own webpage or anything, just for discussion here. Can't pull one over on you, can I?

Where's your JVC pic????

I see you found my site: http://www.atari7800.org/monitor.htm :)

Mitch

Oops! Sorry to ripoff your pics. I wouldn't have posted them on my own webpage or anything, just for discussion here. Can't pull one over on you, can I?

Where's your JVC pic????

LOL, no big deal.

I don't have any other pics because I don't own any of the other monitors. If someone wants to send in some pics of their own monitor I would be happy to put them up.

Actually, I do have an SC1435 that I never got around to taking pics of. I probably should do that at some point.

Mitch

Mitch

Holy cow - I can't believe I missed this point earlier. You mean if I import a PAL ST, I can play the PAL games on my Yankee SC1224? (Yes, I do think that is what you are saying but it seems too good to be true so I want to hear this again!!!!!) Has anybody here actually tried this? Maybe one of our European friends plays NTSC games on their 220V SC1224? [probably not - Numen told me PAL was an upgrade so I doubt our trans-Atlantic friends would downgrade! LOL]

But the yankee ST computer itself won't "switch" to PAL mode, eh?

Mitch

Holy cow - I can't believe I missed this point earlier. You mean if I import a PAL ST, I can play the PAL games on my Yankee SC1224? (Yes, I do think that is what you are saying but it seems too good to be true so I want to hear this again!!!!!) Has anybody here actually tried this? Maybe one of our European friends plays NTSC games on their 220V SC1224? [probably not - Numen told me PAL was an upgrade so I doubt our trans-Atlantic friends would downgrade! LOL]

But the yankee ST computer itself won't "switch" to PAL mode, eh?

Yes, that's correct. You will probably need to tweak the the V-hold and size adjustments though.

I play my PAL RGB 7800 on my US SC1435 with no problems. :thumbsup:

Mitch

I've got one (the Goldstar model) in great working condition. Can take pics. Only prob is I'm in California. Are you willing to pay shipping overseas on top of a reasonable price for the monitor itself?

Unfortunately I imagine the shipping would be prohibitively expensive for me at the moment. There was one on eBay in Canada and the shipping alone was $116. Shame, since the selling price was only 10GBP!

Edited by flashjazzcat

I've got one (the Goldstar model) in great working condition. Can take pics. Only prob is I'm in California. Are you willing to pay shipping overseas on top of a reasonable price for the monitor itself?

Unfortunately I imagine the shipping would be prohibitively expensive for me at the moment. There was one on eBay in Canada and the shipping alone was $116. Shame, since the selling price was only 10GBP!

That's because the person selling it wanted to ensure they got their $126 GBP for it. They are bypassing Ebay's ability to charge them for the selling price - he's reducing their cut of the sale. I hate auctions like that - better to hold out for an honest seller who appreciates whatever they can reasonably get for it.

I have a JVC SC1224. But I'm not completely sure if I'm willing to part with yet.

Glenn

edit: All of these are "RARE!!!"

Here's one on Ebay right now - and it's the one you're looking for. Of course, this assumes price is not a consideration!

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1704080764491?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=170408076449&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]:lust::lust::lust:

In case you decide to settle for monochrome, here's one with similar pricing! Note that according to the seller of these monochromes, they both have "minor paint wear" and the second one has screen burn-in....which is why he's selling it SO CHEAPLY.

In either case, you really don't want SC1224, because according to these Ebay listings:

the SM-124 is a much nicer monitor than it's color counterpart, the SC-1224, which is capable of 640x200 with 4 colors or 320x200 with 16 colors.

So, now that it's settled you don't want SC1224, check out the listings! And note, unlike the guy who is selling the SC1224, this guys is really giving you a bargain because of.......FREE SHIPPING!!!!!!!

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1504153235681?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=150415323568&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]:D:love::lol:

and in case that monochrome is sold, you can get one [just a tiny wee bit] cheaper!

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1504153203251?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=150415320325&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Edited by wood_jl

Don't forget, I'm in the UK. The mono monitors can be picked up quite cheaply from time to time, and I may well get one for the ST (which I always run in mone) at some point. However, the SC1224 is intended for the VBXE 8-bit. Not sure if anyone's tried that yet, but I'm in no doubt that it would be quite awesome. :)

I was just kidding with that crap (overpriced auctions).

If those monitors could bring that kind of money, we could stockpile them and then retire, merely selling them on Ebay.

One of those had $85 (£55) merely for shipping! BWA HA HA HAHA!!! or I guess it's "LOL" nowdays.

edit: and that was domestic (Yankee) shipping to me!

Edited by wood_jl

I haven't looked at the VBXE project but it should be noted that the Goldstar SC1224 requires separate sync signals and will not work with composite sync.

Mitch

Is it just the Goldstar? I was considering making a cable to use Amiga with JVC SC1224 and then I read something (somewhere) alluding to STs use separate sync, Amigas use composite sync = THIS WILL NOT WORK and I gave up. I thought I remembered stories of people using Atari SC1224 on Amiga 1000 - back when JVC was the only SC1224 and Amiga 1000 was the only Amiga. So either it never worked, Amiga specs changed, SC1224 specs changed, or all of the above?

Would like to try to get Amiga 1200 to work with the 1st gen JVC SC1224 - that was my goal. (I know little about any of this, and especially least of all about Amiga so that's why I'm wondering if the monitor signals are the same on all Amigas).

I haven't looked at the VBXE project but it should be noted that the Goldstar SC1224 requires separate sync signals and will not work with composite sync.

Mitch

Is it just the Goldstar? I was considering making a cable to use Amiga with JVC SC1224 and then I read something (somewhere) alluding to STs use separate sync, Amigas use composite sync = THIS WILL NOT WORK and I gave up. I thought I remembered stories of people using Atari SC1224 on Amiga 1000 - back when JVC was the only SC1224 and Amiga 1000 was the only Amiga. So either it never worked, Amiga specs changed, SC1224 specs changed, or all of the above?

Would like to try to get Amiga 1200 to work with the 1st gen JVC SC1224 - that was my goal. (I know little about any of this, and especially least of all about Amiga so that's why I'm wondering if the monitor signals are the same on all Amigas).

I believe that the JVC and Samsung SC1224 monitors will work with composite sync. You would just hook it up to either the H-sync or V-sync (but not both). I have not tested this personally but I have heard it from reliable sources.

I am not very familiar with the Amiga specs.

Mitch

Upon closer inspection, I actually have the JVC model (not that it'll make you want to pay to ship it any more because of it).

I'm really only posting 'cause I saw the comment about playing PAL games...

It might be worth noting that I've been happily playing scads of PAL games on my US 1040 STf with this monitor. No UK ST required. :)

post-14057-127148848246_thumb.jpg

post-14057-127148849028_thumb.jpg

Edited by djpubba