IGNORED

New game "TLC"

Tomasz Lewandowski, known as Levi from Samar group (years ago on Atari demoscene), just returned to Atari hobby with new game "TLC". This is project started years ago and finished now. You can read more about on AtariOnline.pl, use Google translator button to read in English.

TLC_(p7).png

TLC_(p8).png

TLC_(p9).png

TLC_(p10).png

TLC_(p11).png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZfL3QpESCw

Direct link to ATR file:

http://atarionline.pl/v01/index.phtml?ct=katalog&sub=T&tg=TLC#TLC

Please remember this game requires 128KB to run.

Edited by Kaz atarionline.pl

At first, I love a lot that interlaced graphics technique work. Because, at the point of a programmer, you can move objects quickly and have a couple of additional colors on screen. The game is well presented, but I think there are a mistake on the programming of acceleration car, it's so fast and you always get crash on wall, so you lost easily the fun. So much speed for relative little maps.

I expect on future versions this can be fixed.

• Like 1

At first, I love a lot that interlaced graphics technique work. Because, at the point of a programmer, you can move objects quickly and have a couple of additional colors on screen. The game is well presented, but I think there are a mistake on the programming of acceleration car, it's so fast and you always get crash on wall, so you lost easily the fun. So much speed for relative little maps.

I completely agree with you, Mario.

With an acceleration tweaking this game could be awesome.

BTW, Mario, today I have enjoyed Animal Party with my daughter.

She would like a touch screen instead of a joystick. icon_lol.gif

I completely agree with you...

Changing acceleration or maybe make larger Tracks. icon_shades.gif

Gave it a quick go yesterday - agreed it does look the biz, but the acceleration was annoying to say the least.

Although I was playing in the emu with keys which can be trying at the best of times, haven't tried real deal + joystick yet.

It does go to show though what can be done with the GTIA modes - interleave/half blank at that.

Pity that more games haven't taken the same route - the chunky graphics don't look so bad once lots of stuff is moving around.

Edited by Rybags

Gave it a quick go yesterday - agreed it does look the biz, but the acceleration was annoying to say the least.

Although I was playing in the emu with keys which can be trying at the best of times, haven't tried real deal + joystick yet.

It does go to show though what can be done with the GTIA modes - interleave/half blank at that.

Pity that more games haven't taken the same route - the chunky graphics don't look so bad once lots of stuff is moving around.

What GTIA mode? It's standard 4 colour antic mode E ;) but I thought it's GTIA too.

Cute game and very nice piece of coding.

I like the game play just the way it is. Car control is difficult but it's a skills thing. You get better with more practice.

Unfortunately TLC crashes (see below) on my real, machine NTSC 800XL with 512K extended memory.

post-9154-127177283822_thumb.png

- Steve Sheppard

Well, (I also posted this on atarionline.pl forum)

it would be nice if the game would also run on 128k machines that don`t have separate/independant Antic access (e.g. most XL computers with RAM upgrades), because at the moment it seems to require sep. Antic access... and it should work on NTSC too !

Besides, I think this game cries for paddle controls. With a joystick you use left/right, you could turn the paddle left/right instead; with the joystick you use up to speed up, with a paddle you could simply use the trigger ( a) press trigger to speed up, release it to slow down or b) vice versa: release trigger to speed up, press trigger to slow down/brake).

In joystick mode its a little bit awkward to control the car, you always have to press left/right first and then up, which means the movement of the car is not very fluid... with a paddle one can turn left/right and press the trigger (or release it) at the same time which gives a more fluid control and thus a more fluid gameplay.

Maybe the author can add an option to choose between joystick or paddle controls ?!? The only thing which I am not sure right now, is, if a paddle or a driving controller (also known as rotary controller) would be better for controls - the driving controller can be turned full 360 degrees, the paddle can`t...

...just some stupid idea... -Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

I tried to copy the ATR down to my 1050 but the copier (mycopyr! 2.1) couldn@t format the destination disk - it wasn't even trying - other images copied ok to the same disk so think this is something to do with the image itself.

I then tried to load this using APE/USB to my 130XE (PAL) but after seeing the loading pics, intro text, gold bar across the screen just got a blank screen :? HELP :!:

This Game looks Awesome but as you guys said, the controls are pretty rough. One of the main problems I see is that the car's Pivot Point is in the wrong spot. The Pivot Point needs to be at the front tires, Not in the center of the car. This was the same problem that Checkered flag had on the Jaguar.

Also some "sluggish" delay in the controls would be nice. kind of like when you press left and let off the car should continue to creep left for a split second. same goes for the acceleration. it should accelerate a little more gradually and when you let off it should take a split second for it to coast to a stop.

If these things were implemented then the game could have a small amount of code added for a "Fish Tailing" or "Drifting" effect around corners.

• 4 months later...

Tomasz Lewandowski, known as Levi from Samar group (years ago on Atari demoscene), just returned to Atari hobby with new game "TLC". This is project started years ago and finished now. You can read more about on AtariOnline.pl, use Google translator button to read in English.

TLC_(p11).png

Direct link to ATR file:

http://atarionline.p...ub=T&tg=TLC#TLC

Please remember this game requires 128KB to run.

Not too shabby! just needs a little tlc yet, the screen crash in ntsc in opening screen should be an easy enough fix, maybe widen the map/course/track and/or stretch it out to help soften the control problems making it easy at first then slowly tighten up each time a course completes to add difficulty until you end up at this expert level we see right now.

Looks great!

Edited by _The Doctor__

On my PAL 576KB 800XL with Qmeg this happens:

1. Boot...

2. Garbage on screen (which is also seen on emulator) -> I think this has something to do with memexpansion and seperate ANTIC acces?

3. Head of the fellow with interlaced graphics with introsound which reminds me of the JOYRIDE intro of HARD hehe.

4. Title teks is shown on screen

5. Awesome logo (that circle) is shown

6. More intro text (in Polish... )

7. I press START twice.

8. Superb: a race car drives by and I hear a great racing sound.

9. Loading and Garbage again

10. White screen.... and loading again with more garbage

11. Black screen with orange yellow moving bar (looks like a loading/depacking bar to me).

12. Nothing... screens stays black....

And that's it....

On same XL with Standard OS

Steps 1 ... 12 are the same.

On 130XE PAL (128K) it is almost the same except for the garbage parts:

1. Boot.....

2. No garbage but a nice "Loading" tekst.

3. Head of the fellow with interlaced graphics

4. Title txt is shown on screen

7. I press START twice.

9. Loading NO GARBAGE

10. White screen.... with txt LOADING

11. Black screen with orange yellow moving bar (looks like a loading/depacking bar to me).

Thanks

Marius

On my PAL 576KB 800XL with Qmeg this happens:

1. Boot...

2. Garbage on screen (which is also seen on emulator) -> I think this has something to do with memexpansion and seperate ANTIC acces?

3. Head of the fellow with interlaced graphics with introsound which reminds me of the JOYRIDE intro of HARD hehe.

4. Title teks is shown on screen

7. I press START twice.

9. Loading and Garbage again

10. White screen.... and loading again with more garbage

And that's it....

On same XL with Standard OS

Steps 1 ... 12 are the same.

On 130XE PAL (128K) it is almost the same except for the garbage parts:

1. Boot.....

2. No garbage but a nice "Loading" tekst.

3. Head of the fellow with interlaced graphics

4. Title txt is shown on screen

7. I press START twice.

9. Loading NO GARBAGE

10. White screen.... with txt LOADING

Thanks

Marius

yes, i have that same problems