IGNORED

Hooked on 8-bit carts

Tanman

Well, I have settled on collecting carts for my 800. Someone had posted earlier a list of all the carts made. Can't find that post. Also, does anyone have a breakdown/history of the different types? (black label, silver label etc.)

thanks!!

Also, does anyone have a breakdown/history of the different types? (black label, silver label etc.)

Brown/black label carts: 1979-1983

Silver label carts: 1983-1988

XE carts: 1987-1989

There's also some oddities concerning the silver label and XE carts. Some brown/black label carts were rereleased as silver label carts, and some silver label carts were rereleased in the XE cart shell (but without the blue label that was used for most XE carts). There are also two types of XE carts, one with ridges on the sides and another with a smooth shell, but with small ridges and a lip on the back. The ridged shell was used from 1987 to 1988, and the smooth shell was introduced around 1989 when the last batch of XE carts were released (Mario Bros, Desert Falcon, Karateka, etc.).

Edited by ApolloBoy

Atarimania will probably sort you out with what carts were released

My only problem with the Atarimania database is that the release dates are a year off for almost all of the XE carts. Bug Hunt and Flight Simulator II were the only XE carts released in 1987, while the rest were released in either 1988 or 1989.

Well,

this is untrue or the © Copyright Atari 1987 on many labels of my XE carts is wrong (and they were released in the shops much later). Besides, the carts with the ridges on the side are the Taiwan carts, the carts with a lip on the back (and a screw under the label) are the Hong Kong carts.

Think it is also untrue that the Taiwan carts were only released in 1987 and 1988, while the Hong Kong carts were only released in 1988 and 1989 and err, last not least no Atari XE carts were officially released in 1989 (according to their label)...

e.g. some carts with unknown Atari © or Atari © earlier than 1987

- Crystal Castles (Hong Kong, © 1986 Atari Corp.)

- Ballblazer (Hong Kong, tm and © 1985 Lucasfilm, Atari Corp. authorized user)

- Rescue on Fractalus (Hong Kong, tm and © Lucasfilm 1985, Atari Corp. authorized user)

- Summer Games (Hong Kong, © 1985 Epyx)

e.g. some of my XE carts with Atari © from 1987:

- Moon Patrol (Taiwan)

- Archon (Taiwan)

- Jungle Hunt (Hong Kong)

- Donky Kong Junior (Taiwan)

- Tennis (Taiwan)

- Lode Runner (Taiwan)

- Final Legacy (Hong Kong)

- Pole Position (Taiwan)

- Millipede (Hong Kong)

- Joust (Taiwan)

- Food Fight (Hong Kong)

- Battlezone (Taiwan)

- Flight Simulator II (Taiwan)

- Barnyard Blaster (Taiwan)

- Crossbow (Hong Kong)

- Fight Night (Hong Kong)

- Desert Falcon (Hong Kong)

- Midnight magic (Taiwan)

- Football (Taiwan)

- Bug hunt (Taiwan)

- One on One (Hong Kong)

- Blue Max (Taiwan)

- Gato (Hong Kong)

- Hard Ball (Hong Kong)

carts with Atari © from 1988:

- Airball (Hong Kong)

- Mario Bros. (Hong Kong)

- Dark Chambers (Hong Kong)

- Donkey Kong (Hong Kong)

- Into the Eagle`s Nest (Hong Kong)

- Thunderfox (Hong Kong)

- Crime Buster (Hong kong)

- Necromancer (Hong kong type cart with lip, label says: Made in Taiwan!)

- Ace of Aces (Hong Kong)

- Karateka (Hong kong)

carts with Atari © from 1989:

- none !

only prototypes (e.g. Deflektor, Tower Toppler, Commando, Xenophobe, etc.)

But hey, I always prefer Hong Kong type carts over Taiwan carts, so it might be possible, that some carts from 1988 listed above are also available as Taiwan version (if I had both, I always only kept the Hong kong type). On the other hand, I have not yet seen e.g. an "Archon" cart. in a Hong Kong type case... -Andreas Koch.

Well, you can start with this. Just don't tell Al I gave you that link. :D

Mitch

This list is very incomplete, same famous Andrew Krieg's list and others...

Hmmm I don't know any complete public 800/XL/XE cartridges list ;)

nosty

I did say it was a start and there is a reason why it's not "public".

Mitch

Sort of vaguely related, but it seems that all those lists except the Atarimania one don't list the Dig Dug variation. I actually just discovered it last night when I was going through a few doubles to see if they all work, and the second Dig Dug came up totally different. It was the earlier (inferior) version. It's amazing how much better the later release is.

I'd love to get more A8 carts too... I only have about 30 or so.

Atarimania will probably sort you out with what carts were released

My only problem with the Atarimania database is that the release dates are a year off for almost all of the XE carts. Bug Hunt and Flight Simulator II were the only XE carts released in 1987, while the rest were released in either 1988 or 1989.

Well,

this is untrue or the © Copyright Atari 1987 on many labels of my XE carts is wrong (and they were released in the shops much later). Besides, the carts with the ridges on the side are the Taiwan carts, the carts with a lip on the back (and a screw under the label) are the Hong Kong carts.

Think it is also untrue that the Taiwan carts were only released in 1987 and 1988, while the Hong Kong carts were only released in 1988 and 1989 and err, last not least no Atari XE carts were officially released in 1989 (according to their label)...

The copyright date isn't necessarily the same as the release date. Here's the XE carts by release year (not counting rereleases):

Bug Hunt

Flight Simulator II

Archon

Ballblazer

Barnyard Blaster

Battlezone

Blue Max

David's Midnight Magic

Fight Night

GATO

HardBall

Lode Runner

One-on-One Basketball

Rescue on Fractalus

Star Raiders II

Ace of Aces

Airball

Choplifter

Crime Buster

Crossbow

Crystal Castles

Dark Chambers

Desert Falcon

Food Fight

Into the Eagle's Nest

Karateka

Mario Bros.

Necromancer

Summer Games

Thunderfox

I got these release dates from the Atari 8-bit FAQ as well as these ANTIC articles:

http://www.atarimagazines.com/v7n2/12NewCartridges.html

http://www.atarimagazines.com/v7n5/ProductReviews.html

http://www.atarimagazines.com/v7n12/newataricarts.html

http://www.atarimagazines.com/v8n4/cartridges.html

Wow! Thanks for all the replies! I'll sit down this weekend and see if I can combine everything into one super list. I'll put ut together in excel and might even dust off my Access skills. Having a database where I can list when, where, $, etc...