IGNORED

Atari did not go bankrupt!

DracIsBack

For some reason, people keep believing that Atari went bankrupt in 1984 during the video game crash and in 1996 when they existed the video game industry! And for some reason, people keep adding that to Wikipedia articles I've seen. Just pulled that out of the Jaguar Wikipedia article where someone said that the Jaguar was discontinued in 1996 "due to the bankruptcy of Atari Corporation".

I also see people occasionally referencing "Atari's "bankruptcy" on Atari Age.

It didn't happen. They existed the industry in 1996 by reverse merging with JTS but there was no Chapter 11 or 7. Nor did it happen in 1984, when they were sold to Jack Tramiel.

Pet peeve of mine. Done venting now! ;-)

• Like 5

That's why you should never trust Wikipedia as an information resource.

Any 'tard can edit an article and put their own misinformation in. Next thing you know, the bullshit percolates all through the 'net because so many people out there trust it as if the Britannica people wrote the thing.

It would be good if someone footnoted the factual information linking to the SEC filing for the 1996 reverse merger which can still be viewed online

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/802019/0000891618-96-000213.txt

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/802019/0000891618-96-000213-index.html

Next time you edit it link those links that will stop ppl from posting false info.

If you really really really want to get into the nitty gritty of what happened in 1984:

May 17, 1984 Tramiel incorporated Atari Corp in Neveda

June 28-July 2 Warner and Tramiel negotiate the sale of certain assets to his Atari Corp.

July 2 - Warner sells the assets and IP for the Consumer Electronics, Home Computer divisions, certain leased properties, trademark, name, logo and copyrights to all games created from 1972-July 1984.

Warner retains Coin-op and Ataritel and Atari Adventure Centers

Warner sells coin-op to Namco, Namco licenses Atari Games Corp and logo from Atari Corp

Warner sells "Eagle-Eye" technology from Ataritel to Mitsubishi which is released in 1987 as Lumaphone

Technically Tramiel has a new company and only bought assets and IP from Warner Atari, Inc. When people say "Tramiel went on a firing spree" that is totally incorrect. Tramiel conducted interviews and HIRED people from Atari, Inc. Those employees were Warner employee's, Jack Tramiel hired certain people to come to work at his new Atari Corp company.

That is a watered down history, lots of other things are missing, but gives you a decent overall snapshot of things.

Curt

For some reason, people keep believing that Atari went bankrupt in 1984 during the video game crash and in 1996 when they existed the video game industry! And for some reason, people keep adding that to Wikipedia articles I've seen. Just pulled that out of the Jaguar Wikipedia article where someone said that the Jaguar was discontinued in 1996 "due to the bankruptcy of Atari Corporation".

I also see people occasionally referencing "Atari's "bankruptcy" on Atari Age.

It didn't happen. They existed the industry in 1996 by reverse merging with JTS but there was no Chapter 11 or 7. Nor did it happen in 1984, when they were sold to Jack Tramiel.

Pet peeve of mine. Done venting now! ;-)

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

That's why you should never trust Wikipedia as an information resource.

Any 'tard can edit an article and put their own misinformation in. Next thing you know, the bullshit percolates all through the 'net because so many people out there trust it as if the Britannica people wrote the thing.

I agree... I had this same kind of struggle on some page on Wikipedia for the human body. People kept adding in that our bodies were not meant to eat meat. Obviously, they were all vegans. I kept saying in the discussion that regardless of whether or not you support eating meat or not, we have bicuspids and K9 teeth and everything else necessary to eat meat, so get the F**K over it and stop trying to revise history and society.

Damn, people are dumbasses.