IGNORED

AtariAge Welcomes Ted Dabney!

so, is Showbiz Pizza related to Pizza Time/Chuck E Cheese in any way? probably not. but, everything looks so similar. from the similar animatronic characters, pizza and arcade.

just wondering, because where I am from when I was a kid I went to Showbiz Pizza all the time. awesome pizza btw! then Showbiz Pizza closed and Chuck E Cheese popped up everywhere.

welcome home Ted!

and Nolan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_E._Cheese%27s#Corporate_history ;)

so, is Showbiz Pizza related to Pizza Time/Chuck E Cheese in any way? probably not. but, everything looks so similar. from the similar animatronic characters, pizza and arcade.

just wondering, because where I am from when I was a kid I went to Showbiz Pizza all the time. awesome pizza btw! then Showbiz Pizza closed and Chuck E Cheese popped up everywhere.

welcome home Ted!

and Nolan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_E._Cheese%27s#Corporate_history ;)

ahh, I thought so.

and that year sounds about right.

thanks kool kitty!

but, for some reason I always liked Showbiz Pizza more than Chuck E Cheese.

Hi Mr. Dabney! Great to see a real pioneer on A.A.

I was wondering how many prototypes of Computer Space were created before the game was completed? What were some of the difficulties in creating it? How did you obtain the integrated circuits, decoders and logic chips used to create the game? Also who designed the routines in the game logic?

• Like 1

It suddenly occurs to me that we should really have some Computer Space photos here, in case anyone hasn't yet seen Ted Dabney's handiwork up close.

I've wondered whether it was ever considered to replace the rotation buttons with a lever or 2-direction joystick -or possibly a spring loaded dial like chapo RC cars use. (a common complaint was non-intuitive controls and that would probably have helped -still much more complex relative to Pong's user interface -the dial method would be closest to PONG) Hmm perhaps a 3 direction joystick more like Asteroids would have been best. (thrust being up and the only button being missile fire) I wonder if that was ever a consideration.

And thanks for the pics --I haven't seen that much detail on Computer space before.

I just couldn't resist pointing out that Computer Space's original flyer does in fact show a rotation control rather than buttons. I for one would be interested to ask Mr. Dabney why this controller did not make it into production. Too flimsy?

history001_05_02.png

I just couldn't resist pointing out that Computer Space's original flyer does in fact show a rotation control rather than buttons. I for one would be interested to ask Mr. Dabney why this controller did not make it into production. Too flimsy?

history001_05_02.png

Interesting, though that still doesn't look like it would be the most comfortable to use. (compared to a round dial with similar rotational input)

Anyway it seems a tad odd that they didn't just opt for joysticks given that's what Galaxy Game had done a couple months earlier (or at least released a modified computer space with such a control scheme). Atari's Space Race seems to have used a very similar layout to Galaxy Game too.

Even more interesting is that Asteroids had a variant using all button controls like Computer Space. (I see lots of pictures online, though the handful of asteroids cabinets I've seen all had joysticks iirc ---I'm probably most used to playing it with a keyboard's cursor keys though due to the 1993 Microsoft Arcade -odd that that compilation still doesn't seem to have been improved upon in some aspects -I prefer it to more recent Atari Arcade compilations, I wish I hadn't lost out copy)

Here's another picture of that control: http://www.computerspacefan.com/computer_space_manual.jpg

Wait, there WAS a joystick version of Computer Space? http://www.computerspacefan.com/genre.htm

50greatest.jpg

Edited by kool kitty89

I was wondering how many prototypes of Computer Space were created before the game was completed? What were some of the difficulties in creating it? How did you obtain the integrated circuits, decoders and logic chips used to create the game? Also who designed the routines in the game logic?

I had designed and built a cabinet to hold the prototype but Nolan had had the fiberglass cabinet built before the prototype was ready so we used that. I don't know how many prototypes there were. Nutting's salesman had a few pinball locations so he put one or two out.

Nolan built and tested all of the circuitry and it was my job to do the mechanical stuff. The most challenging was the coin collection scheme. I designed a bracket that would allow the operator to get to the can by removing the control panel.

Remember, this was Nutting's game. He had been building "Computer Quiz" so we had access to gate and counter ic's through his normal suppliers.

All aspects of the game came from Nolan. I just helped him come up with ways to accomplish them.

• Like 5

The first time I reached in to my Computer Space to get ahold of the coin catch, I thought to myself looking up at the TV circuit board and wondered how many people took a "zap" from their foreheads touching the board and getting a discharge from the residual current in the board...

Curt

I had designed and built a cabinet to hold the prototype but Nolan had had the fiberglass cabinet built before the prototype was ready so we used that. I don't know how many prototypes there were. Nutting's salesman had a few pinball locations so he put one or two out.

Nolan built and tested all of the circuitry and it was my job to do the mechanical stuff. The most challenging was the coin collection scheme. I designed a bracket that would allow the operator to get to the can by removing the control panel.

Remember, this was Nutting's game. He had been building "Computer Quiz" so we had access to gate and counter ic's through his normal suppliers.

All aspects of the game came from Nolan. I just helped him come up with ways to accomplish them.

The first time I reached in to my Computer Space to get ahold of the coin catch, I thought to myself looking up at the TV circuit board and wondered how many people took a "zap" from their foreheads touching the board and getting a discharge from the residual current in the board...

Curt

It sounds like you were in the back of the cabinet. The design that I did, the coin box was accessed with the control panel removed. Some changes must have been made later.

• Like 2

Here is a prime example of how selective Nolans memory can be...

Here is part of the email I got from my daughter after I told her that Nolan said that she dosen't exist:

Dad, I can believe Nolan forget you had two daughters. He has probably told the same story over and over, leaving all of us out. Once you start telling lies, you believe them.

Nolan, Nancy, Zak and I took a trip to Atlanta, where I babysat Zak. Nolan's favorite food was Apple pie a la mode. We all got to go the the Peach Tree Hotel and there was a convention. We all had a blast, Nolan can be fun.

I spent many days at the Folgers Mansion, eating ice cream at the parlor, watching movies in the movie theater, playing games in the Arcade upstairs, swimming in his pool the the fountains, meeting his maid and butler Margo and I can't remember the other name but I think they were married. Having a BBQ at the pool with Erica. I can go on and on.

Nolan spent many days at out home in Cupertino, hours and hours in your study, finally you had to add on to the house.

I have the original Go Board that you and Nolan played on, the one that you carved.

'

'

'

I Love You Dad!!!

Terri The Termite

• Like 10

It sounds like you were in the back of the cabinet. The design that I did, the coin box was accessed with the control panel removed. Some changes must have been made later.

Ah-HA! So the units with a key hole slot came first? I had alway wondered what the story was with some Computer Spaces having a key under the control panel and some not.

Check the bottom story item on my website for pictures.

When I take my son to Chuck E. Cheese, we go eat somewhere else. The food is pretty bad there. It's just too easy to go and play the games and then go eat somewhere else. Basicly they cater to the McDonalds loving crowd. Plus there is a McDonalds in the same parking lot where we go. I don't know how that place makes any money.

Allan

What games do they even have there any more? We're coming up on nearly 25 years later since CEC started moving away from arcade games. Man, I remember when it was wall-to-wall arcade games everywhere at CEC. At least it was that way at the multiple locations here in Sac. I remember hearing from a friend who had moved from the Bay Area that at least one of the CEC's there was 2 story but I don't know if that was true or not.

The only arcade/pizza parlor that I remember being an actual rival to the CEC experience was Pistol Pete's Pizza in the Southwest. It still felt like a pale imitator. I never liked Show Biz. And before CEC, I remember Pizza and Pipes but that place was annoying to the ears... I remember my dad hoisting me up to play Sea Wolf there.

Sorry for interrupting the thread for a flashback

The Chuck E Cheese character was originally pretty creepy; the kind of sleazeball that would sell you cheap knockoff watches in a back alley or rob you at knife point. I don't know why Bushnell and company thought this would be a good mascot for a kids' hangout. As fiercely nostalgic as I can be, I never was particularly attached to the character and thought it was a smart move for the company to redesign him as a just slightly extreme teen skater. It reeks of targeted marketing, I know, but a furry Tony Hawk is much more palatable than the kind of guy you wouldn't want to meet as an adult, much less a child.

I didn't find him creepy. I even had one of the stuffed Chuck E. Cheeses. We'd go monthly to CEC back then and I had my birthday party there every year from 6-12 years. Of course, we also went to Shakey's and Round Table Pizza.

IMHO, even back then - prior to the ShowBiz takeover - CEC/PTT had better pizza than Pizza Hut so I really don't understand all the negative comments against the pizza quality.

Edited by Lynxpro

I only been to chuck e cheese once(it was known as Showbiz Pizza back then before the mouse took it over) it was for a party for my freind.

and it was the time I got hooked on tempest.

there's another place "enchanted castle" I went there around 1994 I think and I saw that one the prizes was a Jaguar console. how cool was that.

I have no wish to play moderator, but I think we've had enough Chuck E. Cheese posts in this thread. I'd hate to see it go any further off-topic.

Maybe a Moderator could make us a separate Chuck E Cheese topic and move all related posts from this topic over to it. If that is even possible.

• Like 2

Welcome Ted! And Thanks for your heartfelt responses.

By the way, I remember reading in the newspaper in the 1980's sometime that they had improved the pizza at Chuck E Cheese, so maybe your criticism had an impact after all (probably along with many, many customers, including me). I hadn't tried it since then though, until last year, when I took my ten year old niece for her birthday and it wasn't bad, actually.

I also don't mind bad pizza so much when I'm drinking cheap beer and playing fun video games; we all make trade-offs, right?

Some other questions I have:

Do you play video games now? Do you collect video games? What kind? What do your kids or grandkids know and think about your involvment in games and CEC? What is your favorite arcade game of all time? Do you still dabble in electronics? for work, or for fun?

Welcome Ted! And Thanks for your heartfelt responses.

By the way, I remember reading in the newspaper in the 1980's sometime that they had improved the pizza at Chuck E Cheese, so maybe your criticism had an impact after all (probably along with many, many customers, including me). I hadn't tried it since then though, until last year, when I took my ten year old niece for her birthday and it wasn't bad, actually.

I also don't mind bad pizza so much when I'm drinking cheap beer and playing fun video games; we all make trade-offs, right?

Some other questions I have:

Do you play video games now? Do you collect video games? What kind? What do your kids or grandkids know and think about your involvment in games and CEC? What is your favorite arcade game of all time? Do you still dabble in electronics? for work, or for fun?

I'm think it was probably a franchise owner that improved their pizza. The original Pizza Time never did.

You're right, if all you're doing is "drinking cheap beer and playing fun video games" then mediocre pizza is fine. If you're an adult that wants to eat something while your kids are playing around, it's a different story.

I wrote a solitare game for my computer. That's the only thing I play. My wife likes "Hoyle Classic Games 2.0" but my mind is a little too slow for some of those.

The one coin-op that I liked was a territory game. I think it was called QUIX or something like that.

My hands and eyes are as old as I am so we don't do much in electronics any more.

My hobby now is writing Visual Basic programs. I'm not real good at it but I can get it to do anything I want. Real VB programmers would probably not be impressed with my stuff but I am.

• Like 4

My hobby now is writing Visual Basic programs. I'm not real good at it but I can get it to do anything I want. Real VB programmers would probably not be impressed with my stuff but I am.

But what does that have to do with pizza or giant mice? Please stay on topic! :D

But what does that have to do with pizza or giant mice? Please stay on topic! :D

That's your topic, not mine. Mine is the early days of Atari.

Ted - he was just joking (hence the smiley face at the end), making fun of how the topic got derailed from asking you questions.

Ted - he was just joking (hence the smiley face at the end), making fun of how the topic got derailed from asking you questions.

Sorry 'Random Terrain'. My bad. Thanks Marty