IGNORED

New Mattel Aquarius games discovered...

I recently obtained the previously unknown Aquarius games, Strike Force and Space Collision on tape. These games were written by D. A. Spencer... some of his games were listed in the Aquarius User Magazines, but these were not on any list anyone in the Aquarius community has found as of yet.

I am going to attempt to create WAV files out of the tapes and load them into the Aquarius emulator to dump the BIN files for the Aquarius community. This coupled with JayBird3rd's new multicart and reproduction cart technology, has exciting possibilities!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

do you have a way to play these right?

if so,how about a screen shot or two!

Sorry, I didn't see your post before... here are some screenshots for Strike Force and Space Collision as well as links to a couple videos shoeing gameplay... well more like death screens since I cant play and hold the camera at the same time :D Space Collision reminds me of centipede in reverse since you are basically the centipede trying to avoid hitting things on the screen.

Strike Force Video

Space Collision Video

post-24636-128338888825_thumb.jpg

post-24636-128338889827_thumb.jpg

post-24636-128338890387_thumb.jpg

post-24636-128338890868_thumb.jpg

post-24636-128338891294_thumb.jpg

DOH! Okay, when my Aquarius gets here I will consider it a project to work on :)

It might actually be an easy one to do. You'll need an LCD display that is compatible with a 1200-baud serial interface. You can then hang it off the Aquarius printer port, which is a 1200-baud serial port (output only) repackaged into a stereo jack.

Here are some screenshots for Strike Force and Space Collision as well as links to a couple videos shoeing gameplay...

Interesting. Were you able to save the tapes in WAV/CAQ format?

I think I will try that this weekend... I have been extremely lazy about it I should really get off my butt! If I fail miserably at it, I may just ship them to you on loan for the multi-cart project :D

I think I will try that this weekend... I have been extremely lazy about it I should really get off my butt! If I fail miserably at it, I may just ship them to you on loan for the multi-cart project :D

Well, they wouldn't work for the multi-cart because they seem to require BASIC, but I'd happily archive them for you if you need me to.

The Aquarius really needs an alternative to the cassette tape for persistent storage, so at some point I'd like to create a new memory cartridge that combines a 32K RAM expansion with some sort of flash-based storage for CAQ images, which can then be loaded from BASIC. This is the reason why I'm actually moving away from the idea of doing the machine-language tape conversions that I've talked about for the multi-cart, since they'd only be made obsolete by the flash cartridge anyway, but I'll be including a few extra-rare goodies in the multi-cart that I think will compensate. I'll talk more about all that in the multi-cart thread when I finally get the new board revision finished.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

these were not on any list anyone in the Aquarius community has found as of yet.

There's an Aquarius community? Seriously? :rolling:

I think it's more of a support group than anything, but yes, there is. :D ;)

"My name is BassGuitari, and I'm a Mattel Aquarius user/player."

these were not on any list anyone in the Aquarius community has found as of yet.

I'm guessing there's a lot of crying goes on at the meetings. :D

Stop whoring the Aquarius threads with your snide comments please.

• Like 2

I think it's more of a support group than anything, but yes, there is. :D;)

Stop whoring the Aquarius threads with your snide comments please.

Here's a quarter

us-quarter.gif

Go buy yourself a sense of humor. You obviously don't have one if you can't see the hilarity in the concept of there actually being a viable Aquarius community.

Go buy yourself a sense of humor. You obviously don't have one if you can't see the hilarity in the concept of there actually being a viable Aquarius community.

Apparently a dedicated user group, multiple websites, homebrew hardware and software development, and even AA adding Aquarius to this forum does not qualify as a viable Aquarius community... Don't forget to add in the irony that you posted your remarks here in an Aquarius thread... :ponder:

***crickets chirping***

• Like 2

Old Atarian has had a busy day, 46 posts so far. Maybe it's time to take a break and then go back and read what you wrote and see how someone might have a hard time even seeing it as being intentional humorous. I have seen a lot of people posting about Aquarius for a long time, with lots of enthusiasm. That includes people like me, who don't have one, but would like to.... Morgan

• Like 1

Instead of having a pop at a small retro community (that you don't appear to know anything about) how about actually contributing something to the retro scene? It could be programming a new game for a platform you like, some pixel artwork, some box artwork, helping out with a manual or printing, new and interesting hardware, collecting donor carts, making a poster, basically anything. If you have the skills to help out then look for a project or two to join. If you don't have the skills or the free time to donate then don't criticise the people that do give their free time and put their own hard earned money into projects.

I don't have an Aquarius but that doesn't stop me being interested in new projects for it. In my mind its good to see old hardware being pushed into new frontiers.

• Like 4