IGNORED

Free straight cords on refurbished ColecoVision Controllers

Yurkie

I have been experimenting over the last couple weeks to find a method for straightening the coily cord on the ColecoVision Controller. Many people like straight cords so the they don't have to use extensions, or sit close to the console. I finally figured out an effective way to straighten the cord.

I am offering these straightened cords at no extra charge for the next 4 people that wish to purchase a set of refurbished ColecoVision Controllers with ball knobs.

I have 8 cords straightened and this offer is only valid for these first 4 sets. I may extend this offer, but for now it is only for these 4 sets. Here are 2 pictures.

I will be posting this information on my refurbished controller thread also.

post-23318-127242074324_thumb.jpg

post-23318-127242078025_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I have been experimenting over the last couple weeks to find a method for straightening the coily cord on the ColecoVision Controller. Many people like straight cords so the they don't have to use extensions, or sit close to the console. I finally figured out an effective way to straighten the cord.

You the MAN, cant wait to hear more about this one.

Edited by coleconut

Extension Cables are very hard to find anymore. I really needed to come up with a solution. It will be pretty cool to use original straight ColecoVision cords on my next custom controller project.

• Like 1

1 set sold

Here is a picture of the set sold. I am working on finishing the other 3 sets today. These are thoroughly cleaned and refurbished working 100% perfect. IM me if you want to buy one of the other 3 sets.

post-23318-1272476274_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Extension Cables are very hard to find anymore. I really needed to come up with a solution. It will be pretty cool to use original straight ColecoVision cords on my next custom controller project.

Looking forward to buying whatever your next custom controller project is Yurkie!!icon_shades.gif Any hints?

By the way, anyone considering buying these refurbished controllers should do so. I have two sets with the ball knobs and they are so much easier on your hands than the originals.

Yurkie does great work, I also bought two of his AV modded units and couldn't be happier with them. icon_thumbsup.gif

Well I will tell you I bought the first set of these mainly for the nice long straight cord.

I haven't played colecovision in like 10 years so I thought I will play Venture since that is the game that got me excited about buying a colecovision in 82.

Venture was know for hard to go diagonal and a pain to control with colecovision controller. The roller ball did make a big difference. I had a lot more control and it was a lot easier on the hands. I think colecovision missed the boat by not making their controllers like this originally.

I gotta tell you though having that nice long straight cord so I could lie back on my couch while playing was awesome.

By the way Yurkie to pull from your other topic, I tried to play a little of Quintana Roo and I am gunna kill you. It is such a pain in the ass. Whoever made this game without making an overlay needs to be taken out back and beaten. I will play it more later on but I haven't played colecovision in so long that I want to play some dig dug and pac man and the tons of games I have bought this year.

Have a good one.

Dan

Well I will tell you I bought the first set of these mainly for the nice long straight cord.

I haven't played colecovision in like 10 years so I thought I will play Venture since that is the game that got me excited about buying a colecovision in 82.

Venture was know for hard to go diagonal and a pain to control with colecovision controller. The roller ball did make a big difference. I had a lot more control and it was a lot easier on the hands. I think colecovision missed the boat by not making their controllers like this originally.

I gotta tell you though having that nice long straight cord so I could lie back on my couch while playing was awesome.

By the way Yurkie to pull from your other topic, I tried to play a little of Quintana Roo and I am gunna kill you. It is such a pain in the ass. Whoever made this game without making an overlay needs to be taken out back and beaten. I will play it more later on but I haven't played colecovision in so long that I want to play some dig dug and pac man and the tons of games I have bought this year.

Have a good one.

Dan

Do you think the ball knobs make a big improvement over the original disc knobs?

Have a good one.

Dan

Do you think the ball knobs make a big improvement over the original disc knobs?

I sure do. Love mine, both sets! icon_smile.gif

As far as I can tell with Venture going Diagonal seemed more acurate with the ball knob. The other games not sure if you can tell the difference or not since there was usually not much complaints from me. I know timepilot was always difficult with controller so I can check that out.

• Like 1

Or people can use Sega Genesis controller extensions. They're 6.5 feet, $10 brand new on ebay, and work flawlessly since they're the exact same connector.

Your right. This is for people that don't want to hassle with extension cables. Plus these are Coleco originals. If you want extension cable(s) I recommend the Ebay search genesis extensions

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone that would like send me your coily ColecoVision cords and have me straighten them. I will do it $10 a set plus return shipping. You can probably send the cords first class in a bubble envelope for less than $3.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a chance to finally play my new controller (straight cord, ball knob) that I purchased from Yurkie.

This is really an excellent way to play Colecovision. The ball knob is much more precise, and feels easier in your hand. And the refurbished insides give you a 100% working controller... no sudden studders etc. For comparison, I barely was able to make it to Level 3 in Miner 2049er with my old CV controller (which was in reasonable shape) after much playing. On the first try with the new controller, I sailed right into Level 4. Other games I tried were Pitfall II, Defender, and DK Jr. All were much easier to play.

(I do still prefer the feel of an original Atari Joystick, but that is not an option for some games. )

All in all, thumbs up! Highly recommended.

How did you straighted the cords??? If its a secret its cool, I was just wondering

Perhaps, gentle heat and a weight tied on the end?

I suspect it has something to do with dipping them in a pot of boiling water and pulling them straight, but this is a wild guess. I'll bet some sets are ruined in establishing the learning curve, so maybe best left to those with experience!

Got a chance to finally play my new controller (straight cord, ball knob) that I purchased from Yurkie.

This is really an excellent way to play Colecovision. The ball knob is much more precise, and feels easier in your hand. And the refurbished insides give you a 100% working controller... no sudden studders etc. For comparison, I barely was able to make it to Level 3 in Miner 2049er with my old CV controller (which was in reasonable shape) after much playing. On the first try with the new controller, I sailed right into Level 4. Other games I tried were Pitfall II, Defender, and DK Jr. All were much easier to play.

(I do still prefer the feel of an original Atari Joystick, but that is not an option for some games. )

All in all, thumbs up! Highly recommended.

Thanks. I think the ball knob make a huge difference. Being refurbished all the functions work like new.

• 8 years later...