IGNORED

GCP (Games Computers Play).

doctor_x

I've always had a interest for GCP since way back when I signed up for info and received it via the postal service about the service.

For the uninitiated, Games Computers Play was an "online service" (via modem) for the atari 8-bit line very similar in concept to something like AOL or Compuserve. It allowed you to connect, play games, do email, download programs, etc - all using an extremely game like graphic interface.

While there are a few pieces of information out on the Internet about this service, I have recently been prompted into doing some research and compiling all information i can find by the purchase of a GameLine modem for the 2600 off of ebay. With that said, I have already begun what I am calling a "living document" dedicated to the GameLine on my blog, and will also be doing the same thing for GCP.

I am doing this because I would assume that there are others out there who are as much of a modem freak as I am and love things like GameLine/GCP and have always wanted to know more about them - or be able to find all things relating to either in one place.

As stated, GameLine is already there and I will be adding more content this week to that page. The GCP page will likely go live this weekend with the common information going up, and a search for the less common information beginning.

I will also post the things I find here - as I certainly want everyone to benefit - not just visitors of my blog.

Hopefully this will make someones day - or at least bring a smile to someones face here.

Edited by doctor_x

You may want to read this thread on GCP:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/132176-games-computers-play-inc-multiplayer-onlinegame/page__p__1631926__hl__GCP__fromsearch__1#entry1631926

I meant to follow up with this but never got around to it.. I have the email addresses for the two gentlemen that did all the programming and started the company if you are interested..

Very happy that someone is putting some effort into this! GCP certainly seems to be one of those "before its time" ideas. I'm looking forward to reading the fruits of your work :)

Now if we can get someone to do a detailed artcile on PC Pursuit and some of the other old modem stuff like the WWIV network (do the messages stillexist?) I would be so happy.

Thumpnugget....

In all actuality I have some low aspirations of taking a lot of the research that I have been doing and possibly putting it into a more organized format - possibly a book. It will probably never happen - but the idea is there. Regardless the research will happen and will be presented in an online format at the very least, so YES - any information you have would be absolutely wonderful and I will be happy to give any thanks or credits you wish in the data I publish..

As far as WWIV goes, the message networks were simply message bases on the various member boards that were linked and cross updated nightly - very similar to FIDO. With that said, if any of those BBS's still existed then the messages would still be there - at least a portion of them anyway.

As far as older stuff goes, you might check bbsdocumentary.com and see if Jason has any of the WWIV message bases archived in text format.

PC Pursuit, Telenet/Sprintnet, Datapac, etc are all things I've dealt with extensively - so if you have any questions feel free to drop me a PM or email me...

Doc

• 1 month later...

I have started scanning the manuals for this. "Connect" and "City" are ready as text only files in different formats.

At http://atari.a8maestro.com/info/8ball/ballsa.htm.

Rick D

Any links to my old atari site at www.a8maestro.com/atari are dead. It is now atari.a8maestro.com, with some things moved.

I'm getting a 404 error on that link Rick.

• 1 year later...

I have updated the page, the POST OFFICE is now ready. The link below is fixed as well, I hope.

Lords of Space is next.

Rick

I have started scanning the manuals for this. "Connect" and "City" are ready as text only files in different formats.

At http://atari.a8maest...ball/ballsa.htm

Rick D

Any links to my old atari site at www.a8maestro.com/atari are dead. It is now atari.a8maestro.com, with some things moved.

Edited by a8maestro

Are you talking about actually getting GCP up and running again, like in the old days? A bit of trivia, it may have been mentioned on one of those linked sites, I haven't checked, but I had heard that GCP actually evolved into AOL.