IGNORED

Action 52 - Angry Video Game Nerd

One of the oddest games from Action 52, "Time Warp Tickers"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6gmFu06lPQ

A Youtube comment refers to the album cover for Yes' "A Time And A Word" and I do see how it may have been the game's inspiration: (slightly NSFW) http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_iRTj3YHEhNY/SR9H3Ely9fI/AAAAAAAAFDY/-PL-OglCnzg/s400/yes-time-and-a-word2%5B1%5D.jpg

Perhaps the game was originally going to be called "Time Warp Kickers" with the main character being female legs similar to those on the album cover. But that would have been too racy so they replaced the legs with fingers and changed the name to "Time Warp Tickers". Now everything makes sense!

Edited by mbd30
  • Like 1

That's a really good video. It might be his best one yet. I always knew that game was bad, but I never knew it was that bad! Oh, and he didn't get around to playing Cheetahmen yet. It looks like he's saving it for it's own video. It's probably so he can also talk about Cheetahmen II.

Wow, it's worse than the Genesis version (most of the games are totally different and several similar ones are less broken). Cheatahmen on the Genesis is lame and forgettable though. (boring music too, surprising as some other games have some neat music -especially given GEMS was used- and there's even a sound test)

Edited by kool kitty89

Wow, that thing went for $199 back in the day? :o

Unfortunately, with the the new AVGN video I'm afraid eBay will start selling these things even more inflated for the next year.  That's the downside of any popular retro game critic.

Unfortunately, with the the new AVGN video I'm afraid eBay will start selling these things even more inflated for the next year.  That's the downside of any popular retro game critic.

It happened with the Oddysey and Moonwalker as I recall.

I have to imagine that the $199 was a suggested retail price. In the store I'm sure they went for MUCH less. I could be wrong though, especially if they were mail order only. I don't know much about Action 52.

*EDIT*

I did some searching and found the advertisement for the game listed at $79.

Action 52 advertisement

Edited by Skylark68

Seeing Billy Bob (game #40) in action, with its comparatively fluid animation, got me curious enough to fire Action 52 up in the emulator. It seems to be a vague attempt at a Prince of Persia-style game, but the jumping control is ridiculous, just as AVGN said. No enemies to speak of, other than falling blocks and spears, and the ever-present danger of dying in mid-air.

Thanks to the magic of savestates I was able to gradually claw my way through the first level, which ends with a POP-style door. On to Level 2. This one's even worse, and requires glitchy blind jumps that can't be pulled off with any consistency. Still, I eventually reached the bizarro final screen, got through the door...

...and was promptly dumped straight into Level 3 of Cheetahmen?! What the hell?

I'm guessing this was some sort of bankswitching error, maybe? If any ROM disassembly wizards want to take a look, I'm very curious as to whether this was intentional, i.e. they ran out of time and/or didn't think anyone would get past Level 2, or a coding glitch.

• Like 1

Seeing Billy Bob (game #40) in action, with its comparatively fluid animation, got me curious enough to fire Action 52 up in the emulator.  It seems to be a vague attempt at a Prince of Persia-style game, but the jumping control is ridiculous, just as AVGN said.  No enemies to speak of, other than falling blocks and spears, and the ever-present danger of dying in mid-air.

Thanks to the magic of savestates I was able to gradually claw my way through the first level, which ends with a POP-style door.  On to Level 2.  This one's even worse, and requires glitchy blind jumps that can't be pulled off with any consistency.  Still, I eventually reached the bizarro final screen, got through the door...

...and was promptly dumped straight into Level 3 of Cheetahmen?!  What the hell?

I'm guessing this was some sort of bankswitching error, maybe?  If any ROM disassembly wizards want to take a look, I'm very curious as to whether this was intentional, i.e. they ran out of time and/or didn't think anyone would get past Level 2, or a coding glitch.

I can't get past the second level on my cartridge.  You'll have to wait until I get a pro action replay for the NES  :sad:

How many of these games have endings?

so far, I'm pretty sure that Ooze has an ending, I even got my "personal password". maybe I can still get 13,000$? maybe Cheetamen has an ending, but I wouldnt be surprised if it didnt, its graphics become glitchy at around level 5. maybe I'm confusing this with "ninja assault" but I think there is no way through level 5 at all...

I had to skip through the middle of that video. No matter what my threshold is on watching AVGN, there's no way I'm sadistic enough to hear him go through all 52 games. It's like listening to someone review all 112 variations of Space Invaders.

I had to skip through the middle of that video. No matter what my threshold is on watching AVGN, there's no way I'm sadistic enough to hear him go through all 52 games. It's like listening to someone review all 112 variations of Space Invaders.

Trus but at least Space Invaders is a good game cart unlike the garbage that is Action 52 I do not care how rare or valuable is I would not buy it at any price