IGNORED

"His Dark Majesty"

Haven't really had a chance to play HDM but it's gorgeous to look at.

Is there any chance of adding mouse/trackball control or having a separate version with this feature? I think this would greatly speed up move selections.

There is a chance for mouse control in future version, however the development stopped as I'm waiting for chapter graphics from Kaz.

Haven't really had a chance to play HDM but it's gorgeous to look at.

Is there any chance of adding mouse/trackball control or having a separate version with this feature? I think this would greatly speed up move selections.

There is a chance for mouse control in future version, however the development stopped as I'm waiting for chapter graphics from Kaz.

Fantastic!

This game rocks.. make an NTSC version.. and make a book to go with it.. and sell it for $...

I second the make an NTSC version!!

ok, I'm hooked on this game now! Just for fun I fired this up on my NTSC 800xl, and it plays fine!!! It's a little difficult to distinguish your guys from the enemy, but after playing for a while I've got it down now. Also, the bottom line of text is mostly cut off, but completely playable!!!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's great that we have winter time now :) .. So I finally found some spare time to play HDM. I knew that many people were stunned by the game and I had to find out why.

And NOW I understand :) ..

This is a truly fantastic game!! I can't believe that I ignored it since it became available. Also I don't remember when I woke up in the morning and the first thing I do is to turn on the Atari to play ... I mean I'm not 14 years any more when I did this the last time :)

Even though I have not yet completed the game, I'm already excited for HDM2 or at least a level editor for the community. any rumors on this yet? Ilmenit?

grtx,

\twh!

Edited by twh/f2

Nope standard Atari icon_mrgreen.gif

Will there be a VBXE version? This will be a perfect game for it.

I hope, not.

We'd need rather more of such "enhanced" Games for original Hardware, than people bother with obsolete Hardware and even more obsolete Software.

I totally disagree with you. We need more games that take advantage of enhance hardware.

I totally disagree with you. We need more games that take advantage of enhance hardware.

I partly disagree. We need more games that take advantage of enhanced hardware while holding compatibility to the standard model. I remember that some games for the Atari ST had some enhancements one the STE. The same with games in the XL/XE with stereo support. Yoomp! for instance...

I'm a proud VBXE owner and already benefit from the crystal clear picture, but here and there one more color could especially enhance games like HDM.

greetings,

\twh!

damn. the village is really difficult....

Yes that was a toughie, let me know if you get really stuck!

Hoping there are some new levels PLEASE :D

today I finally defended the village. It tried that level like 10 times but eventually I won the battle without loosing a single guy :)

grtx,

\twh!

I attach the campaign editor for "His Dark Majesty". It was not created for anyone except me and it was done in rush, so do not expect any bells and whistles :)

Just text mode and mouse/keyboard control.

To choose levels use '[' and ']' keys. Levels are saved when you choose other one.

F1-F3 choose layer to edit: terrain, units or reinforcement turns.

On terrain layer you can set "AI wall" - invisible horizontal wall that AI can not pass. Use it to give impression of AI defensive strategy.

Use positive values to set wall down, negative values to set wall up (f.e. try value -3).

Setting new map size (F4) clears the level.

Zombies and necromancers can be used only by red player.

Text can be edited in maps folder (levelXX.txt files), however they MUST fit in 512 bytes. Use UNIX type line ending (\n).

The first line is the opening text. The second line is text shown after won battle. Next lines are texts for reinforcements.

'#' char should be used to end reinforcement messages - this message will be repeated if more enemies appear.

'@' is line-break, to be used for text formatting.

Numbers 0-3 are used to show new face pictures. This is the n-th number (counting from 0) defined in maps\levelXX.faces files.

maps\*.faces files contain 4 hexadecimal values (0-A as text separated with spaces). They define which faces are loaded for each level.

Face pictures are in data\faces.fnt.

The editor extracts game graphics from old version of fonts (data folder). At one point of development I stopped to use this editor and worked on raw graphics data.

VF2 and FN2 files can be opened with http://matosimi.websupport.sk/atari/2009/03/atari-fontmaker-v12/

If you want to have the new graphics simply copy it from the official version of the game.

To place computer controlled friendly unit place RED unit on DEPLOY terrain.

DEPLOY terrain is not used for anything else (I was out of memory for giving player unit deployment phase).

F7 key should compile the campaign and run building script to create new ATR image.

There is not much error checking during this process...

If you have any questions feel free to ask (I expect a lot of questions from anyone who will try to use it - the editor was really done for me only...)

HDM-Editor.zip

Edited by ilmenit
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

Guys, I just saw this and I'm amazed... this is a Langrisser clone. Langrisser was the first game in the genre that refined this style of gameplay pretty much exactly to how you adapted it from what I can tell from the videos. I am a huge fan of the series, so congratulations for this project; you could not have picked a better project!

Selfish as I am I just thought... 6502 CPU, CC65 compiler, 64 Kbyte of RAM... guys, please make a port for the Atari Lynx! It has the required hardware and would even make further visual improvements possible, but most importantly: there is no game even remotely similar to this on the Lynx yet, and it would absolutely ROCK! :)

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me get this game running on an 800XL. First off, my system specs:

System: Stock 800XL NTSC

Graphics: GTIA

Basic: Rev B

Drive: Stock 1050

Problem:

Game loads, title screen appears, intro plays through(love the music btw!), selection screen comes up, select new game, disk starts reading, first game screen comes up and then freezes.

What I have attemped so far:

First I formatted a SSDD diskette in enhanced density using MyIDE-II flash cart(actually used DOS 2.5 as well) and copied the ATR over to my 1050 using Image Space in MyBIOS. The copy appeared to be successful. I tried this on another diskette and had the same outcome.

Next, I tried loading the ATR into Altirra 2.40(XL NTSC / 64K / BASIC) and the game seems to crash at the same spot as it does on my real 800XL. Also tried PAL mode in Altirra 2.40 and had the same result. :?

I am at a loss here. I realize the game was programmed for a PAL system, but since there seem to be several Atarians here that have had good luck getting it to load on stock NTSC systems, wondering if I am doing something wrong?

Please help, if you can. Thanks!

P.S.

I am attaching the 3 files I have tried. Downloaded from Atariage, Atarimania and HDM website.

His Dark Majesty 1.0.atr

His Dark Majesty _ V1.01.atr

hdm1_01.atr

Your last attachment works for me on Altirra XL NTSC 64K. When you say it freezes what do you mean? Is the music playing? Can you post a screenshot? You have to press trigger several times to get through the dialogue. Maybe you thought it was frozen but it's just waiting for you to press trigger?

Next, I tried loading the ATR into Altirra 2.40(XL NTSC / 64K / BASIC) and the game seems to crash at the same spot as it does on my real 800XL.

OK, I see, you need to disable BASIC. I get the crash in Altirra if I have it enabled. Hold down Option while booting on your real Atari to disable BASIC.

• Like 1

Yet I'll never understand why even awesome coder force the user to think about this instead of adding 10 bytes to switch BASIC off programatically...

Edited by JAC!
  • Like 2