IGNORED

"Tomcat"

If you like shoot'em up games like "Zybex", "The Extirpator" or "Laser Hawk" you should also try Tomcat (well, F-14 versus aliens :D), new game made by Tomasz "TDC" Cieslewicz (code), Kaz (gfx) and Michal "Miker" Szpilowski (msx) prepared for Grzybsoniada 2010 party. We plan to prepare a little better version after party. The article about on AtariOnline.pl:

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.phtml?ct=nowinki&id=1272750803&ucat=1&subaction=showfull#spodek

You don't need to know story behind the game (however, you can read it on AtariOnline.pl via Google Translator), just fly and shoot aliens! You can collect bonuses - P means extra Points, L - additional lives, D - doubled or even quadrupled weapon. Look at video, especially 3rd level where the plane got extra weapon, there are about 50 moving objects on the screen at the same time (it is "Action!" language in action):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ughacs_Zrf4

and some screenshots:

Tomcat_(p1).png

Tomcat_(p2).png

Tomcat_(p3).png

Tomcat_(p4).png

Tomcat_(p5).png

Tomcat_(p7).png

Tomcat_(p8).png

Download here:

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.phtml?ct=katalog&sub=T&tg=Tomcat#Tomcat

Edited by Kaz atarionline.pl

The 1st game I see using hires with charmode movement, using it for gameplay enhancement . Very nice for now.

I wonder how much cpu power is still left for additional stuff.

How would PM overlay aid this type of game ? Some clouds ?

I'd say , to add digi voices(FX/Speech)) would bring much more fun icon_smile.gif

Edited by emkay

So far i really like, but it's a bit... well, erratic with the power-ups; on my first go i reached level 9 (final score 359,400) before it gave me anything and during the second go (final score 570,500) i got to level 5, had two D power-ups and then nothing apart from a single L around level 9 until i died on level 12. Is this deliberate?

How would PM overlay aid this type of game ? Some clouds ?

I prepared version with clouds coloured up by PM and/or DLI. TDC will decide what will appear in final version.

So far i really like, but it's a bit... well, erratic with the power-ups; on my first go i reached level 9 (final score 359,400) before it gave me anything and during the second go (final score 570,500) i got to level 5, had two D power-ups and then nothing apart from a single L around level 9 until i died on level 12. Is this deliberate?

No, it's not. The gameplay is'nt well-balanced yet. There was no time to test and consider it before the party.

No, it's not. The gameplay is'nt well-balanced yet. There was no time to test and consider it before the party.

Well, i was going to review it for Retro Gamer 78 (or at least i think that's the next one - i lose count easily! =-) but i've only got a week before i have to hand in for that issue - will the revised version be out before then so i can write the bare bones of the review based on this version and tweak it?