IGNORED

Retron3 (NES+SNES+Genesis) and Retro Twin (NES+SNES)

Maybe I'll bite...I like my FC3 thoicon_ponder.gif

That exactly where I'm at right now also. I love the FC3 but the 1st party controller ports are lookin real sexy on this Hyperkin. If the PAL region SNES games do in fact play on this thing than the FC3 might be getting boxed up and put on the shelf in favor of this new Hyperkin 3in1.

I don't think that it being from the same factory necessarily makes the chipset the same. The Retro Entertainment System apparently came from the same factory of the Yobo FC, yet it had a much better NOAC, one comparable to the RetroDuo and revised FC Twin (although Castlevania III didn't work on it, and still had a few other sound issues, but those were likely issues with the audio circuitry as opposed to the NOAC).

If it has good Genesis and NES hardware, I will most likely buy this. I hardly have any space in my room, although I have the original NES and SNES. I can just put those into another room, and have the RetroN3 for playing these games in my room. It could also potentially make a decent Genesis placeholder, as I have yet to buy another used one since my old one was sold many years ago when I was a kid. Though I do still intend on getting one (mainly for Sega-CD support), but as it stands, it will not fit in my room, and I already have the SNES stacked on my NES which is annoying...

The major reason I passed on the FC3 was the lack of official controller support, and the proprietary controllers on my GN-Twin fell to pieces on me... The outdated NOAC was just the nail in the coffin.

I just hope this doesn't have the glitch of the FC-Twin where, on multiplayer games if both players press the same buttons at the same time, the system would register random buttons (which only happened on official controllers).

Edited by Metalwario64

We are getting RetroN3s and Retro Twins in today. They are already available for order on our site:

http://stoneagegamer.com/retron3.aspx

http://stoneagegamer.com/retrontwin.aspx

I'd certainly enjoy feedback and reviews of these units as people start to get theirs. I'd rather not have to depend on YouTube stoners to decide if it's worth $55. :D

Well played with the Retron3 a little bit and here's some of my impressions.

Pack-in controllers as expected are pretty disappointing. If you are buying this system because of its wireless controllers do not bother. The system plays games fine, my biggest problem is the controllers so I will comment mostly on those.

First the wireless controllers seem to be from the same mold as the GEN-X/GN Twin so I don't know how long they will last. Also unfortunately the are IR and not RF. So if you do not have a clear path to the system then they won't work well.

Playing NES games:

Packed-in Controllers - Wow amazing they actually seemed to have gotten to mapping correct playing NES with the pack-in controllers. A = B and B = A. I also believe Y = turbo B and X = turbo A. Unfortunetly this is one of the few places they got it right.

Offical NES controllers - Mapping is fine. They work as expected. The controller ports are a little tight though, however I was using a 3rd part controller and this may have been why they were tight.

Playing Genesis games:

Packed-in Controllers - Wait these controllers were modelled after the Genesis controller, yet are mapped wrong? Yes. For some stupid reason if you are playing Genesis games with pack-in controller A = B and B = A. This won't affect you on some games, but any game that requires you to be holding A and hitting B or holding B and hitting C its impossible. I played Road Rash 2 with these controllers and it was basically unplayable because I could not hold the throttle and punch at the same time. Obviously this mapping does not affect Sonic games.

Offical Genesis controllers - I was expecting the A/B mapping to be backwards on these as well, but to my surprise they seemed to have mapped the official controllers correctly.

Playing SNES games:

Packed-in Controllers - There's a little chart on the back of the controller telling you what buttons are mapped to whch buttons. You read the SNES chart and it all makes sense. A = B, B = A, C = R, etc. However its not right. Somehow these controllers are mapped like how the Retro Duo controllers were laid out. Y = B, B = A, X = Y, and A = X. Confused? Yeah it is confusing. Personally I like how the Retro Duo laid the buttons out better, so this did not bother me. However, I know it may bother some people. Also C = L and Z = R. So those are backwards from what you may expect.

Offical SNES controllers - Well at least they are mapped correctly with official controllers right? Wrong. They are mapped the exact same way with official controllers. I forgot to test if R/L are mapped correctly. I assume they are.

The system feels pretty solid and looks a little better in person than pictures. I do not know about any game compatibility since I don't really have time to go through a bunch of games. I would recommend it over the FC3+ strictly due to the official controller ports. However, if you hate clones right now this system will not change your mind. There are still a few perplexing issues. If they fixed this button mapping issue and used some decent pack-in controllers with RF this would be a home run.

Its still a great space saver and if you were looking into getting an FC3 I would really look into getting this system instead.

Edited by StoneAgeGamer

Y = B, B = A, X = Y, and A = X... ...Well at least they are mapped correctly with official controllers right? Wrong. They are mapped the exact same way with official controllers.

...They rotated them counter-clockwise on the official controllers?! Just when they got my hopes up... I thought Hyperkin had learned from their mistakes with the button layout of the FC Mobile, because they made that one of the major points of the FC Mobile 2... What happened here?

Its still a great space saver and if you were looking into getting an FC3 I would really look into getting this system instead.

At this point, I might still end up getting it, because I really don't have enough space in my room to have all three systems (and my NES and SNES are stacked), but I may only buy this if the actual hardware is really good.

Edited by Metalwario64

When I got my FC Mobile II, I never even bothered with the pack-in controllers. They're still in the original packaging. If I get a retron3, I expect to do the same. So, the wireless controllers are meaningless to me.

Playing NES games:

Packed-in Controllers(don't care)

Offical NES controllers - Mapping is fine. They work as expected. The controller ports are a little tight though, however I was using a 3rd part controller and this may have been why they were tight.

Playing Genesis games:

Packed-in Controllers (don't care)

Offical Genesis controllers - I was expecting the A/B mapping to be backwards on these as well, but to my surprise they seemed to have mapped the official controllers correctly.

Playing SNES games:

Packed-in Controllers (don't care)

Offical SNES controllers - Well at least they are mapped correctly with official controllers right? Wrong. They are mapped the exact same way with official controllers. I forgot to test if R/L are mapped correctly. I assume they are.

So, if I'm reading this right, the only button mapping issue when using official controllers is on the SNES side, NES and Genesis are 100% perfect. That makes me wonder... could the SNES part be fixed by physically rewiring the controller ports?

I have to wonder... do the people at Hyperkin ACTUALLY KNOW they're supposed to get this right?

I mean... how hard is it? :?

Edited by godslabrat

Well played with the Retron3 a little bit and here's some of my impressions.

Hm, bummer about the control issues, particularly the SNES pad issue..

Did you by chance notice the quality of the video and sound? Better than the FC3+?

I was sorely disappointed in the FC3 primarily for the fact that the NES sound was slightly muted and the graphics were muddy and blurry. It was roughly the same with the Genesis side of things (but not quite as bad).

Edited by Austin

I just got the retron 3, just tested mario RPG and it doesn't work, 2 castlevania 3 carts neither, the genesis part plays sonic 2 and streets of rage sound near perfect if not perfect. The NES part sounds better than the retro duo, will test more later.

Retro Twin, tried the same mario RPG cart that i tested on the retron 3 and works, castlevania 3 is not working, and the sound is more or less the same as the retro duo, will continue testing later.

Nes Zapper Works :D

Why the heck is Castlevania 3 not working after they said it would I dunno :(

I just got the retron 3, just tested mario RPG and it doesn't work, 2 castlevania 3 carts neither, the genesis part plays sonic 2 and streets of rage sound near perfect if not perfect. The NES part sounds better than the retro duo, will test more later.

The Genesis and NES portions may be enough to make the deal for me (depending on if Castlevania 3 is compatible). How bad is the counter-clockwise rotated SNES controller layout though (if you've tested it)? Would you say it is game-breaking, or is it operable with some getting used to?

Retro Twin, tried the same mario RPG cart that i tested on the retron 3 and works, castlevania 3 is not working, and the sound is more or less the same as the retro duo, will continue testing later.

Maybe the SMRPG cart is a bit dirty, or the pins are being finicky on the Retron3. I would assume the Retron3 uses the same SNES hardware as the Retro Twin. Also, it's curious as to how the sound is worse in the Retro Twin, which has less hardware than the Retron3. Perhaps it has the same innards as the Retro Duo?

Are the carts cleaned? Sometimes these clones' pins can be finicky. If the Retro Twin does have the same NOAC as the Retro Duo, or at least an updated one, then it should work. If Castlevania 3 truly doesn't work though, I may have to pass on this one...

Edited by Metalwario64

The Genesis and NES portions may be enough to make the deal for me (depending on if Castlevania 3 is compatible). How bad is the counter-clockwise rotated SNES controller layout though (if you've tested it)? Would you say it is game-breaking, or is it operable with some getting used to?

Maybe the SMRPG cart is a bit dirty, or the pins are being finicky on the Retron3. I would assume the Retron3 uses the same SNES hardware as the Retro Twin. Also, it's curious as to how the sound is worse in the Retro Twin, which has less hardware than the Retron3. Perhaps it has the same innards as the Retro Duo?

Are the carts cleaned? Sometimes these clones' pins can be finicky. If the Retro Twin does have the same NOAC as the Retro Duo, or at least an updated one, then it should work. If Castlevania 3 truly doesn't work though, I may have to pass on this one...

All carts have been cleaned by us in the store, Retron 3 SNES hardware must be the same as the duo, the SMRPG game works on the retro twin but not on the duo or retron 3, tested 3 different castlevania 3 carts, they dont work on neither clone :(

That is really strange. The only SMRPG that has worked on SNES clones has been the earliest released version, because it doesn't check for the lockout chip. That has been the version that has worked on every SNES clone to date, so it's very strange that the same one would work on the other SNES clones, but not the Retron3...

That is really strange. The only SMRPG that has worked on SNES clones has been the earliest released version, because it doesn't check for the lockout chip. That has been the version that has worked on every SNES clone to date, so it's very strange that the same one would work on the other SNES clones, but not the Retron3...

no you see, the SMRPG we tested does not work on Retro Duo or FC systems, it also does not work on FC16GO, so it must be the late release, so if this version is not working on the Retron3 it means it has the same hardware as the Retro Duo, but it is working on the Retro Twin so it means the Retro Twin has new snes hardware.

no you see, the SMRPG we tested does not work on Retro Duo or FC systems, it also does not work on FC16GO, so it must be the late release, so if this version is not working on the Retron3 it means it has the same hardware as the Retro Duo, but it is working on the Retro Twin so it means the Retro Twin has new snes hardware.

Ah, so that makes it even more curious... Maybe there is a lockout chip in the Retro Twin? Why would the Retron3 have better NES hardware, but the same SNES hardware as the RetroDuo, but the Retro Twin has better SNES hardware, but the same NES hardware? It's very strange if that is indeed the case...

Also, since we know the button layout is messed up on the SNES side with official controllers on the Retron3, can you tell if the R and L buttons are at least mapped correctly? That hasn't been tested yet and I am a bit curious to see if they at least got that right.

Ah, so that makes it even more curious... Maybe there is a lockout chip in the Retro Twin? Why would the Retron3 have better NES hardware, but the same SNES hardware as the RetroDuo, but the Retro Twin has better SNES hardware, but the same NES hardware? It's very strange if that is indeed the case...

Also, since we know the button layout is messed up on the SNES side with official controllers on the Retron3, can you tell if the R and L buttons are at least mapped correctly? That hasn't been tested yet and I am a bit curious to see if they at least got that right.

havent verified the layout yet, still about the hardware, retron 3 is made by hyperkin while the retro twin is made by tomee. so it makes sense they use different hardware.

havent verified the layout yet, still about the hardware, retron 3 is made by hyperkin while the retro twin is made by tomee. so it makes sense they use different hardware.

Oh, I see. Somehow I had completely missed that... Makes sense then in that case. :)

Edited by Metalwario64