IGNORED

Ghosts'n Goblins

Philsan

Cool, me and STE'86 had looked at G&G and realised it was possible (graphically at least) to do a good port. Am I missing something with all the xex's being posted over there though or do they play music, display a screen (title then game on the latest one) then just reset when you press space? From the translation it sounds like there are sprites moving around and scrolling.?

Cool, me and STE'86 had looked at G&G and realised it was possible (graphically at least) to do a good port. Am I missing something with all the xex's being posted over there though or do they play music, display a screen (title then game on the latest one) then just reset when you press space? From the translation it sounds like there are sprites moving around and scrolling.?

Try .xex attached to post #22.

Try .xex attached to post #22.

Still just displays loading screen, space takes me to the game background with nothing happening, space again resets. Wrong RAM setup maybe?

*edit*

Got it now, nothing is displayed (sprites) till you actually move. Pressing keys like space/enter resets.

Edited by PeteD

I think they're just at mockup/proof of concept stage.

Although one allows you to move with the joystick, but it moves the character about 3 pixels then dumps you to SelfTest.

.xex file attached to post #22 let you walk till the end of the stage...

Tested with Altirra 1.6.

Edited by Philsan

I think they're just at mockup/proof of concept stage.

Although one allows you to move with the joystick, but it moves the character about 3 pixels then dumps you to SelfTest.

In Atari800win remove the emulation of CURSOR keys when you press PC arrows keys.

What's the deal with all those "ports" which never get finished anyway?

Good Point....Space Harrier being a classic example (I remember downloading a demo version of that when "easyeverything" had just started opening their network of internet cafe's) and years on, space harrier still isn't with us

Good Point....Space Harrier being a classic example (I remember downloading a demo version of that when "easyeverything" had just started opening their network of internet cafe's) and years on, space harrier still isn't with us

Let's hope Sheddy will finish the project soon. I guess that some project like this is a bit harder to produce than some simple sprite moving on the screen just like this thread's initial. Don't forget that particular Space Harrier shows content that other still would declare "not possible". There is also no "let's take some C64 source and copy it to the A8. Everything has to be adjusted to the A8's features.

A C64 version, without C64 features and also without A8 features may look like this:

post-2756-127337882839_thumb.gif

And, don't forget how crappy the screenmovent is already....

And while we all have a look at all those "bads" of the A8 , just have a look at this:

Nothing more to say here icon_wink.gif

Edited by emkay

EEEH... it has STE graphics inside... icon_wink.gif

Yeah.... The Atari version woould need a better artist .... and well.... a better tool with less bugs .... to create..... ;)

It might be better to start with Ste Pickford's original Amstrad CPC version of the picture, otherwise the conversion errors introduced by the port to the C64 will be carried over as well...?

And while we all have a look at all those "bads" of the A8 , just have a look at this:

Nothing more to say here icon_wink.gif

Oh! I loved Abe's Odyssey!

Would it be possible to port Abe's Mission:Escape from ZX Spectrum to A8?

-Steve Sheppard

Well, xxl can do Spectrum to A8 ports so the specific colours in use around each screen might change a bit but the game could be shifted over. i suspect it'll need a 130XE or expanded memory though, the Spectrum game only works on 128K if memory serves...?

Well, xxl can do Spectrum to A8 ports so the specific colours in use around each screen might change a bit but the game could be shifted over. i suspect it'll need a 130XE or expanded memory though, the Spectrum game only works on 128K if memory serves...?

xxl does tremendous things!

Well, actually it isn't the port, just som Gonzo's playig with screens and sprites, but... who knows if real port isn't planned. icon_smile.gif

The music... It uses mainly all of the features that RMT gives you without any manipulating, it was done in stereo to beef if up a bit (cause no two synths are meant to play with other instruments).

I've attached mono version of it. It's maybe not so "rich" as that one above but I hope it is still recognizeable.

Edit: To be honest it's one of tunes where "I wish Atari had at least one lower octave in 64kHz mode".

gng-mono.xex

Edited by miker