IGNORED

Activision Collection for PS2 - 48 Games with extras

scrummy

Check out the great article at IGN.COM (text below)

IGN.COM

November 13, 2002 - Like most of the editors in the office, I began my passionate love affair with videogames in the late 70s and early 80s. An avid disciple of my parents and grandparent's Atari 2600, I learned my joystick chops with some of the best software you could ever hope for. Pitfall, River Raid, Seaquest, and Tennis were but a few of the many quality titles that made up the majority of picture time on our massive 13-inch television. It was a simpler time to be sure, and one that I remember fondly when speaking of my early gaming days. Unfortunately, it's impossible to get those easier times back, as they are nothing more than a captured moment in my childhood databank. Or so I thought.

Apparently reading the minds of myself and other editors around the office, Activision is priming one of the best compilation sets we've seen in a very long time -- possibly ever. Entitled Activision Anthology, this 48-game set is setting new standards in terms of production values and interface. Structured like somebody's bedroom in the early 80s, gamers can switch between a rotating cartridge holder, their Atari 2600, and an antennae-enabled dial TV while playing some of the best games that Activision has ever produced. It's really quite charming.

The cartridge selection itself is quite deep with almost 50 games readily available for play from the outset. And though it has yet to be confirmed by ourselves or the producers at Activision, it also appears as though there a few extra hidden games thrown in there for good measure (signified by empty slots in the rotating storage wheel). Even if that tease turns out to be false, the sheer amount of titles you can toy with are more than impressive. Pitfall, Sky Jinks, Star Master, Barnstorming, Stampede, Chopper Command, and 42 others are back in perfectly emulated glory. Whether it's the height bug in Decathlon, or the static destruction effect in Robot Tank, every last piece of code has made a triumphant return.

And though the developers could have stopped their ambition where it was, they've included even more old school goodness. Original manuals, hidden commercials, send-away game patches, and a fully licensed 1980's soundtrack have made the final burn. Speaking of the soundtrack, it's no slouch either; boasting classic tunes like Take On Me from A-ha and Mexican Radio from Wall of Voodoo, kids who grew up in the "Me" decade will get just as much retro audio joy from this collection as they did in Vice City.

There's actually quite a bit to talk about in Activision Anthology, but I've been spending so much time with it lately, that there's nothing else I'd rather be doing right now than playing it. In fact, I think I'm going to go play a session of Seaquest right now. Expect a full 1980's-style review of Activision Anthology in the coming days.

-- Jeremy Dunham

That's a nice review. Some of you may be in for a let down though. The Download portion of the project got nixed by Sony at the last minute. It was a real shame too, as it we spent alot of time trying to get it working perfectly. In the end.. it did. "Worked perfectly that is."

Sony, the people who originally supported the idea 100%, changed their minds at the very last minute. Right when we submitted to them for approval. "Talk about a real pisser." :-/

The downloads were going to include all of the unreleased prototypes that we have. Instead, they'll end-up going on the Activisions web site after all.

I only hope that you all like the product. We worked as hard as we could to get the emulation as best as possible. I know of one of two glitches that really pissed me off, but because of the tight schedule we had, they were left in. See if you can find them, actually. You may have a bit of a time doing so.

Thanks 'n' Keep your eyes peeled for the Activisions web site.

- Ken

That's a nice review. Some of you may be in for a let down though. The Download portion of the project got nixed by Sony at the last minute. It was a real shame too, as it we spent alot of time trying to get it working perfectly. In the end.. it did. "Worked perfectly that is."

Sony, the people who originally supported the idea 100%, changed their minds at the very last minute. Right when we submitted to them for approval. "Talk about a real pisser." :-/

The downloads were going to include all of the unreleased prototypes that we have. Instead, they'll end-up going on the Activisions web site after all.

Maybe I'm not the only one to have thought of this Ken, but since Sony put the kaibosh on the idea, would it be possible to put the Activision ROM files back on AtariAge now? It seems as though you and AtariAge already have a working relationship, so I don't see why this couldn't be done. If there's a question of royalties, make them available as a zip file for a low fee, say $5. I'd gladly pay for it.

It's just a PS2 emulator folks.

Well... actually it's the packaging of the whole thing that appeals to me. I mean, we all know about emus, and the majority of us here have those games in cart form on an actual 2600. But that definitely sound cool with the whole deal there (i.e. the bedroom, the cart holder, the manuals, the patches, the commercials, the songs). Alltogether makes for a nifty little package I definitely "want to have". :)

But I don't think 42 atari games is a reason to buy a PS2... :-)

As far as the ps2 goes, why not snag one? :) I've always gotten every console during it's heyday from the 2600 on down.. heck it's the way to go imho. But yeah even if you're not into consoles during their day, you'll probably own one anyway sometime down the road. Admit it ;)

I only hope that you all like the product. We worked as hard as we could to get the emulation as best as possible. I know of one of two glitches that really pissed me off, but because of the tight schedule we had, they were left in. See if you can find them, actually. You may have a bit of a time doing so.

Thanks 'n' Keep your eyes peeled for the Activisions web site.

- Ken

I don't know why you guys even tried that, Sony wouldn't let that fly because they can't run that sort of thing through their QA department. What are they gonna do, go to the fleamarket and buy a bunch of old Atari systems to test the downloading capability ? I don't think so.

On a side note, congrats, let's hope it sells ! :)

Looking forward to this as a package -- the 80's ambience, the price, the number of ROMs -- I mean games -- included, and the prospect of having the emulation done RIGHT on the big screen are all appealing to me. I'm not sure how well it will sell, but I know I want a copy.

Is there a list of the included games someplace?

• 2 weeks later...

Every Activision 2600 game *except* Ghostbusters, Kung Fu Master, Rampage, and Double Dragon. Prototypes Kabobber and Thwocker are included, as are Imagic's Demon Attack, Moonsweeper, and Atlantis and Absolute's Title Match Pro Wrestling, [Pete Rose] Baseball, and Tomcat F-14...no Skateboarding, however!

Well, I see that in HERO the fired lasers remain on the screen in a few places and there is an odd glitch with a couple of the walls (they look solid, but you can walk through them). Do I win a prize? :)

This isn't a glitch, but the colors of the Keystone Kapers escalators are dark purple instead of black and the elevator doors are dark purple instead of dark green.

That's all I noticed for the time being...