IGNORED

Where to get Jag Free for Jaguar CD?

eebuckeye

I just got an Atari Jaguar CD and do not know much about it. :-) I believe I need to get Jag Free before I can burn games to play on the cd (such as SuperFly)? If not, what do I need?

Thank you!

All you need to play superfly is Paddus Disc Juggler (Free version available here) and the CDI DiscJuggler image of the game, available here.

In order to play "unsigned" (or unencrypted) Jaguar CDs you need a CD-Bypass cart, althought with the help of ULS (available here) you can play any and all of the homebrew games released via your CD, as it will make a bootable, encrypted CD image for you.

Enjoy!

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 4

In order to play "unsigned" (or unencrypted) Jaguar CDs you need a CD-Bypass cart, althought with the help of ULS (available here) you can play any and all of the homebrew games released via your CD, as it will make a bootable, encrypted CD image for you.

Enjoy!

True but a bypass system is still required for some pre-burned demo/unfinished proto CD's like Demolition Man, Caves of Fear, Verunas Forces, American Hero and Black Ice White Noise. You would have to check if the CDs B&C Computervision are selling now are still unencrypted, certainly most of those you would get from an existing user would be older unencrypted versions.

B&C make thier own bypass cart and I think Jag Free CD was Songbird Productions version which also allowed memory save like a standard CD memory tracker cart but my memory is a bit fuzzy.

I have never used ULS so I do not know if you can create and burn an encrytped version of the games I mentioned from the unencrypted discs, has anyone tried that?

To get JagFree CD you need to buy Protector SE. It's basically a bypass feature in Protector SE that allows you to boot un-encrypted JagCDs. Or you could buy B&C's Bypass Cart. (myatari.com)

Read this:

http://www.atariage.com/manual_page.html?SystemID=JAGUAR&SoftwareLabelID=2048&ItemTypeID=&currentPage=12&maxPages=13

From the Songbird site:

JagFree CD to enable future Jaguar CD software

That's from: http://www.songbird-productions.com/protector_se.shtml

Basically this was created before the Jaguar encryption keys were found(CD's had to be encrypted to run) and so in the ProtSE cart there is also a BJL feature - Behind Jaggy Lines - and it allowed you to develop new programs and run them in the Jag's 2MB of RAM or if you wanted to make a CD release you could put your program on an un-encrypted CD(because the CD encryption keys were not found yet)and anyone with this Protector SE cartridge could run your new game CD!

But with things like the new ULS system and encrypting CDs not being a problem JagFree is not needed anymore to the average Jag player. I still use ProtSE/Bypass cart with some older unencrypted CDs I have and Cinepak CDs I make for the Jag. B&C has all their CDs encrypted now except for possibly the WTR beta set.

Regular Protector is not being made anymore but ProtectorSE is, I recommend the game it is very good.

Edited by ovalbugmann
  • Like 1

I have never used ULS so I do not know if you can create and burn an encrytped version of the games I mentioned from the unencrypted discs, has anyone tried that?

ULS only works for single load games. Existing games that load in multiple stages can currently not be encrypted with ULS.

In theory, the technique used in ULS can be used to make a CD with a multi-load program but the program has to be specifically written to read the additional data from session 0 instead of session 1. And the additional data must then be shoehorned into the "general track layout" in session 0 that is needed to make the ULS technique work.

So existing multi-load programs can't be written to an encrypted CD using ULS. For that you still need to use the traditional encryption tools.

Robert

• Like 1

personally i would take the un encrypted disc, extract the tracks from the disc with iso buster, strip the header and byteswap them into their correct format and remake the cd with encryption. its not that hard, i did it with soulstar

personally i would take the un encrypted disc, extract the tracks from the disc with iso buster, strip the header and byteswap them into their correct format and remake the cd with encryption. its not that hard, i did it with soulstar

Or you can ask Orion_ for the binaries directly (I'm sure he will give them freely) and then use ULS to make burnable disk images :)

I think OMF was referring to Stephen Moss' post mentioning "Demolition Man, Caves of Fear, Verunas Forces, American Hero and Black Ice White Noise" - there would be no point messing with Orion's release, it's already encrypted & only needs burning.

I think OMF was referring to Stephen Moss' post mentioning "Demolition Man, Caves of Fear, Verunas Forces, American Hero and Black Ice White Noise" - there would be no point messing with Orion's release, it's already encrypted & only needs burning.

I've been looking everywhere for "Demolition Man, Caves of Fear, Verunas Forces, American Hero and Black Ice White Noise" and I can not find them..

I've been looking everywhere for "Demolition Man, Caves of Fear, Verunas Forces, American Hero and Black Ice White Noise" and I can not find them..

I bought all of mine from Nick at 16/32 Systems and BIWN is now only available from the programmer Beej West himself I think. Not sure if he is a member here but he posts over at JS2 fairly often (Astrobeej). You do sometimes see them on eBay.

Edited by The_Laird