IGNORED

What to do with a 600XL-power unit?

Sleepy

You have a stylish 600XL power supply and wonder what you to do with it?

I modified it to power an upgraded 800XL, a XF551 and a 8" TFT.

I removed the original pcb and the transformer and put a power switching unit in. Now it looks like this:

item.JPG?rot=1

I use XLR-connectors from Neutrik to connect the hardware. They´re lockable and the GND-connector is a little bit longer as the other two pins. So it is guaranteed that there could be no undefined voltages when the connection is interrupted energized (e.g. if GND is disconnected first and 5V & 12V are still connected). Additionally they stand power up to 13ampere.

item.JPG?rot=1

The output offers only one connecor, but I wish to feed three pieces of hardware... I used a modified "Octopus-adapter" to feed get three outputs.

The original plug and conectors are cut off, instead I assembled the XLR-connectors. One male at the side to the power supply, three female at the computer´s side.

item.JPG?rot=1

The XF is modified to be feed with 5V/12VDC instead of 9VAC. The power´s way into the XF551:

item.JPG?rot=1

The octopus fits in the XF, or I use an extension like this:

item.JPG?rot=1

For the XL/XE/XEGS there´s another cable set:

item.JPG?rot=1

Last, but not least the cable set for the TFT:

item.JPG?rot=1

Here are some pictures how to assemble...

The lower part of the housing. Some of the lands are removed so that the PSU and pcb fits. Between the two original round openings for the wires you can see the angular breakout for the main swith. I also added three holes to attach the PSU & pcb.

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

The PSU (input voltage 90V AC to 264V AC) with case and two plates. The Plates lift the PSU a little bit so that the housing´s vent slots at the bottom are still free.

item.JPG?rot=1

The PSU set in.

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

I used two plastic threated bolts to fix the PSU at the "hot" side; they´re the touch guards for the screws (in case a cable of the primary side unlock themselves;-).

item.JPG?rot=1

on the secondary side no touch guard is needed; a simple spring ring with nut...

item.JPG?rot=1

and a plastic washer.

item.JPG?rot=1

The PCB with main switch (no electric connection to the pcb) and two fuses for 5V & 12V. You can get a ready-made cable set to connect the PSU. The fuses are not necessary for the PSU, but I feel a little bit better to shield the computer...

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

Here you can see how I mounted the main switch. With the two plastic threated bolts it is possible to fix the switch in the correct level so that the upper side of the knob is at one line with the upper edge of the lower part of the housing.

item.JPG?rot=1

Everything assembled in the housing.

item.JPG?rot=1

Bottom up: you can see the three additional contersunk bolts.

item.JPG?rot=1

Sleeπ

Edited by Sleepy

I knew two ways. The easier way is to use a Y-adapter as known from PC.

item.jpg?rot=1

This is put between XFs pcb and the disk drive. The external 5V and 12V are connected to the third connector of the adapter.

I choose another way. I add a 12V-relais with two two-way-contacts. In normal position the relais contacts feed the XFs pcb with the power from the internal power supply, when the external PSU is conected to the XLR-jack the relais disconnect the internal ps and switch over to the XLR-jack.

I feel with this admittedly costlier way a little bit better: First, the XLR-jack isn´t energized when the internal power supply is in use (e.g. when it´s cold outside and I use the XF to warm my hands;-), second I don´t like to feed in a voltage into the output of the internal voltage regulators (as in the first way).

But I know users who choose the first way and had no problems with it.

Here is the schematic of my modification:

item.jpg?rot=1

The XLR-jack from the inside:

item.JPG?rot=1

The diskdrive in my XF offers a little place for the relais:

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

The way to modify a 1050 should be the same; when I remeber right is the internal power supply the same. The connection between diskdrive and pcb is not realized with the PC-connectors, so you cant´youse the adapter above.

Sleepy

Edited by Sleepy

Yes, you´re right. The XF/1050 generates with an intern circuit 5VDC and 12VDC out of the 9VAC. Doing that a lot of lost heat orginates.

When you want to use a 5V/12V power supply you have to feed the dc voltage after the intern power unit. To do that you have to modify your disk drive. One advantage of this modification is that there is no more lost heat.

I posted a detail of the XFs shematic with my modification above. Here´s the link to the picture; maybe you can see it: http://a06-b06.mypicturetown.com:80/P2PwebCmdController/cache/x_7bKneMGxy%3DltGut_Dyo%25REG8JZAO*DYpfrWfLsK4-OXO*Cs%251%3DK9YkGgPP*qBZ/item.jpg?rot=1

Sleepy

Edited by Sleepy

Yes, you´re right. The XF/1050 generates with an intern circuit 5VDC and 12VDC out of the 9VAC. Doing that a lot of lost heat orginates.

When you want to use a 5V/12V power supply you have to feed the dc voltage after the intern power unit. To do that you have to modify your disk drive. One advantage of this modification is that there is no more lost heat.

I posted a detail of the XFs shematic with my modification above. Here´s the link to the picture; maybe you can see it: http://a06-b06.mypic.../item.jpg?rot=1

Sleepy

Thanks sleepy... I understand the concept... but if I do this I'll have someone else mod the drives LOL