IGNORED

Commodore 1084ST Service Manual

Anyone know where to get hold of a service manual for a Commodore 1084ST monitor?

post-21964-127515458203_thumb.jpg

post-21964-127515470641_thumb.jpg

From the research I've done, the innards of these things may not be Commodore parts at all. They're not the most popular, since they emit a high-pitched whine when switched on. I have no qualms about the picture quality, however, apart from some shadowing on the left hand side of the screen which disappears after the set has warmed up for ten minutes.

Dang, so close. I have original factory service manuals for tons of C= equipment, but I don't have that one. Still, I've noticed that you're really into monitors (which is cool, I don't know much about them), so if you ever need any of these and can't find them online, I could make a scan of:

1892 (NTSC)

CM-141 (1802)

1701/1702

Sorry I don't have any manuals for any of the 1084 variants. Those would have come in handy. save2600 may know something about the 1084's though.

Dang, so close. I have original factory service manuals for tons of C= equipment, but I don't have that one. Still, I've noticed that you're really into monitors (which is cool, I don't know much about them), so if you ever need any of these and can't find them online, I could make a scan of:

1892 (NTSC)

CM-141 (1802)

1701/1702

Sorry I don't have any manuals for any of the 1084 variants. Those would have come in handy. save2600 may know something about the 1084's though.

Thanks for the offer!

I managed to find this for my Commodore 1084S-P1 (with missing front flap icon_sad.gif ):

Commodore 1084S-P1 Service Manual.pdf

You're right: I am very interested in monitors. Display quality is one of the main elements governing the quality of interaction with any computer, and there are so many options out there now with these old machines.

Look here: http://staff.washington.edu/rrcc/ - maybe try with phillips monitors schematics, some are identical with Commodore 1084, but I dont remember eqivalent models. Good luck.

Great links - thanks. :)

Anyone know where to get hold of a service manual for a Commodore 1084ST monitor?

post-21964-127515458203_thumb.jpg

post-21964-127515470641_thumb.jpg

From the research I've done, the innards of these things may not be Commodore parts at all. They're not the most popular, since they emit a high-pitched whine when switched on. I have no qualms about the picture quality, however, apart from some shadowing on the left hand side of the screen which disappears after the set has warmed up for ten minutes.

I've never seen that monitor before! Very cool. Must be a European model or something....

I managed to find this for my Commodore 1084S-P1 (with missing front flap icon_sad.gif ):

Commodore 1084S-P1 Service Manual.pdf

As a side note, this is the monitor to get if you want to convert your Atari SC1435 into a Composite/RGB monitor! icon_razz.gif

It is? Cooler still! I definitely need an SC1435 then, because I don't much care for the 1084S-P1 case. icon_smile.gif

EDIT: Sadly mine's the 1084S-P:

post-21964-127522729223_thumb.jpg

You need the 1084S-P1 for the SC1435 mod:

post-21964-127522734923_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't care, but the seller of the 1084ST had a P1 for sale as well, but I couldn't afford to bid on both. :(

Edited by flashjazzcat

You need the 1084S-P1 for the SC1435 mod:

post-21964-127522734923_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't care, but the seller of the 1084ST had a P1 for sale as well, but I couldn't afford to bid on both. :(

Yep thats the one. Easy swap out. All you need to do is drill some holes in the back for the buttons and Chroma and Luma and stereo RCA's.

post-3709-127524223377_thumb.jpg

post-3709-127524224896_thumb.jpg

Green background on International Karate/World Championship Karate. Is that normal on NTSC or do you have an hacked version?

The original PAL version has a brown background.

Robert

It's brown, its the poor lighting and the crappy iPhone camera.

• 3 years later...

As a side note, this is the monitor to get if you want to convert your Atari SC1435 into a Composite/RGB monitor! http://www.atariage.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/icon_razz.gif

Can you explain this in more details ? (Convert SC1435 to Compositr/RGB monitor?!?)

I have 1084s p1 but I manage only to connect Atari st Nad falcon via composite cable with this monitor. I also build DB9 cable with separate rgb and hsync and vsync lines but I have no picture with this cable on 1084s!!

Does anyone know how I can connect 1084s to atari st or falcon via DB9 port?!

• Like 1

Plenty of people have STs running on 1084 monitors - best to check the HSync and VSync are correct, you'll not get much at all without those.

That monitor also works with devices that only output CSync - I as well as many other VBXE users do it that way (connect to HSync input)

If you scroll down that page, 1084S has seperate H/V as well as CSync.

What I don't know is what type of CSync it will accept. A "true" CSync signal is actually VSync XOR HSync (requires extra logic).

If you're lucky, you could just run with H/VSync tied together (gives VSync OR HSync)

Looking at the back of the monitor
             Digital         Analog
Pin Number   TTL Mode        RGB Analog Mode

1            Ground          Ground
2            Ground          Ground
3            Red             Red
4            Green           Green
5            Blue            Blue
6            Intensity       N/C
7            N/C             Composite Sync
8            Horiz.Sync      N/C
9            Vert. Sync      N/C
1084s have separate hsync and vsync ONLY in digital TTL mode!!!

In analog rgb only csync is accepted.

Atari falcon have csync on video port, I am not sure but I think that most STs also have csync on DIN13...

• 7 years later...

Note in regards to the 1084D (I just got a couple):

On this model (don't know for the 1084S, I wish I had one to test), the C-Sync wouldn't work (whatever the resistor value).

However, injecting H and V made it work like a charm, both 50Hz and 60Hz.

So if you have a 1084D around, just wire it with RGBHV (H Pin8, V Pin9).

30 minutes ago, StEeLz said:

Note in regards to the 1084D (I just got a couple):

On this model (don't know for the 1084S, I wish I had one to test), the C-Sync wouldn't work (whatever the resistor value).

However, injecting H and V made it work like a charm, both 50Hz and 60Hz.

So if you have a 1084D around, just wire it with RGBHV (H Pin8, V Pin9).

I have Csync going to pin 7 on my 1084S, analog RGB mode. No picture otherwise.

On 11/10/2013 at 8:14 PM, calimero said:

Can you explain this in more details ? (Convert SC1435 to Compositr/RGB monitor?!?)

I have 1084s p1 but I manage only to connect Atari st Nad falcon via composite cable with this monitor. I also build DB9 cable with separate rgb and hsync and vsync lines but I have no picture with this cable on 1084s!!

Does anyone know how I can connect 1084s to atari st or falcon via DB9 port?!

Try pin 7. In Analog RGB mode, H & V are n/c

Edited by shoestring