IGNORED

System Pause for ColecoVision *pics*

Yurkie

I figured out a way to pause the ColecoVision. I am going to install a switch to the left of the power button.

I have wanted to be able to do this since I saw doubledown did it with the add-a-halt device, which plugged into the expansion module slot. He reverse engineered the add-a-halt and installed a pause switch on several ColecoVision consoles.

I will post pictures soon of what the finished unit looks like.

• Like 1

My method mutes the sound when on pause, not sure if the add-a-halt muted the sound or not.

I actually had not seen your posting, before you posted the link here.

Fantastic - will you be posting any details of how to do the mod?

Thanks for the compliments.

Not sure about posting instructions, I might. It was time consuming to complete this. Hole in the case for the switch was a pain and took awhile.

It would be cool to make some Add-a-Halt 2010 edition units. With the cheapy PCB and edge connector companies out there these days. I know you and I are some of the only few who would be like, heck yeah! No matter what the end price would be. Probably not enough demand for the minimum orders but who knows. I'd get with OpCode and see if he can hook you up with the edge connector and PCB maker they used for the Super Module.

AX

It would be cool to make some Add-a-Halt 2010 edition units. With the cheapy PCB and edge connector companies out there these days. I know you and I are some of the only few who would be like, heck yeah! No matter what the end price would be. Probably not enough demand for the minimum orders but who knows. I'd get with OpCode and see if he can hook you up with the edge connector and PCB maker they used for the Super Module.

AX

5-11under figured out expansion pins for the pause awhile back I guess, wish I would have came across that, it would have saved me a lot of time.

I researched the CPU for my pause. The problem is that the tone playing when paused, continues and is enough to drive a person crazy, so after pausing the CPU I had to figure out a way to mute the sound too. Since I am not using the expansion connectors for the sound, the Add-A-Halt is not a viable option at this time. Over and above this a person would probably have to charge $75 to cover expenses and make a few bucks. Great thinking though. :)

AX

5-11under figured out expansion pins for the pause awhile back I guess, wish I would have came across that, it would have saved me a lot of time.

I researched the CPU for my pause. The problem is that the tone playing when paused, continues and is enough to drive a person crazy, so after pausing the CPU I had to figure out a way to mute the sound too. Since I am not using the expansion connectors for the sound, the Add-A-Halt is not a viable option at this time. Over and above this a person would probably have to charge $75 to cover expenses and make a few bucks. Great thinking though. :)

Yep, there's no way to turn the sound off (that I know of) using the front expansion port.

Will this work with the Atari expansion module as well? What is the cost?

No this does nothing when the Atari Module is being used. The reason being the Atari Module only uses the RF output and power from the ColecoVision.

No this does nothing when the Atari Module is being used. The reason being the Atari Module only uses the RF output and power from the ColecoVision.

I have had several requests for this mod. I will offer this mod for $40 if anyone is interested.

I will offer this along with my $89 refurbish and A/V mod special for an additional $30 plus return shipping.

This gives you the opportunity to get multiple services all in one package at a substantial discount.

With the A/V mod and refurbishing special you get the following.

Console:

Power switch refurbished

cartridge slot cleaned with deoxit

A/V mod (A/V cord included)

Controllers:

Housings,keypads and cords cleaned

controllers completely refurbished to work like new.

Optional, but included...cords straightened and ball knobs installed

Here is a link to the system refurbish A/V mod thread.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/161610-colecovision-system-tune-up-and-av-mod-89-special/page__fromsearch__1

I wonder if the new Atari 2600 pause mod would work with the CV Atari module (http://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=953). Could be a problem with the proprietary nature of the module's board.

I am working on a single jack A/V composite modded console with pause button and will post pictures later today, and list in marketplace.

The console is in really nice cosmetic condition with power switch refurbished, cartridge slot cleaned and tested working 100% perfect.

This listing will be for the console and A/V cord only. No power supply or controllers.

Only $119 plus shipping. If your interested, you can send me an IM.

I am working on a single jack A/V composite modded console with pause button and will post pictures later today, and list in marketplace.

The console is in really nice cosmetic condition with power switch refurbished, cartridge slot cleaned and tested working 100% perfect.

This listing will be for the console and A/V cord only. No power supply or controllers.

Only $119 plus shipping. If your interested, you can send me an IM.

A/V modded and pause modded ColeoVision for sale in marketplace. Here is a picture and the link to the thread.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/164623-av-and-pause-modded-colecovision/

post-23318-127670769095_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Quick review of Yurkie's Pause switch, for the Colecovision:

"Pausing" a game has been available for most systems, but not the Colecovision. Having the ability to pause any game simply makes you enjoy the Colecovision that much more.

Tested on several games, and worked fine, every time. While testing the pause switch, I would move the game character "over the edge" on purpose, hit the pause button, and laugh while he was hanging in mid-air. But soon the extra lives were used up.

:D

Yurkie's Pause switch is located on the console, just left of the power switch, and blends in with the console. Same color, and material. Looks almost like it was done at the factory. Yurkie does a professional job, just like his previous work with A/V mods, and Ball-Top controllers.

While the pause switch may not be on the controller, it is very well built, and adds some new fun to an old (but classic) console. Hopefully, more classic gamers will be able to enjoy this fine addition, from Yurkie!

The pause button is highly recommended.

Thank you Yurkie, for the Pause Button!

:)

This pause switch thing looks interesting! Now if only there will be CV emulators in the future that will have this feature...

~Ben

Ben, both the Emu's I use both have pause. Meka is f12 on the keyboard, and BlueMSX has it right ont he user window. :)