IGNORED

I think now I understand why the NES beat the 7800

Atari Joe

Whistles.

The NES had Whistles.

There were Whistles in Mario. There were Whistles in Zelda. There were Whistles in pretty much every NES game there was worth playing. You could blow Whistles and they would make magical things happen or summon new powers or sweep you away to a far off land. To little kids that was the shiz. NES had Whistles and 7800 didnt. Of course there were other obvious factors like accessories and third party support. But you can't discount all those Whistles.

Why come that guy in ScrapYard Dogs didnt have a dog whistle or something that woulda been so much better. Just a thought.

Your Friend,

Joe

• Like 12

Nah, I think it was because of the cartridges. I mean, look at the size of the things compared to a 7800 cart. Bigger is better, right?

Yeah just like the 5200 and LYNX model 1, right?

No, I'd say it was the Whistles.

• Like 1

No, I'd say it was the Whistles.

Damn right it was. Whistles that warped you inside a bunch of plumbing pipes so you could warp to the world with the giant mushrooms, and dress up like a radioactive beaver-squirrel, so you could fly and fight the fire breathing turtles.

If only the 7800 would have stuck with the Ninja Golf formula. Ninjas beat whistles ANYDAY. Not to mention that the 7800 is the only system in the universe that lets you fight a demonic optometrist while being advised by that old guy on the munsters.

And if Missing in Action had been released, well... Chuck Norris wouldn't have taken no crap from the whistles. He'd show up with an army of ninjas and force feed mario a plastic pumpkin. Damn right.

• Like 5

So anyways about the Whistles, I can't think of any times when a Whistle was used in an Atari game for the 7800, the 2600, the 5200 or the Lynx. IDK about the Jagure or the 8-Bit computer line but I do n't remember. But they were ALL OVER THE PLACE in Nintendo games.

Can anybody else think of a time when Whistles were used in Atari games??

• Like 2

Um no......I think it was because Atari sat on their arrogant arses while Nintendo signed up all the

developers exclusively. The 7800 is techinically superior in just about every way. Had they actually

gave a damn about the system and released it right after its development with a strong effort to grab

up devlopers before Nintedo could make them sign exclusive NES clauses, we might not be seeing Sony,

MS and Nitendo rule the market with the same four typical genres. I might have added the POKEY and

16k RAM to the 7800 but out side of that it's a great system all around. The NES is a headache inducing

flicker fest with weak color and a very badly thought out cartridge slot.

• Like 1

:o

What if Curt & Marty made a Flashback 7800 that had three holes drilled in one side and a larger hole drilled in the back?

Blow on the back, fingers on the three holes for notes....sound comes out the cartrdige slot....

The 7800 could BE a whistle itself! It will sell millions!

• Like 2

You know that's not a bad idea. Not bad at all! You know what else? Curt says he is working on a 30th anniversary commemorative release of some 2600 games in a 2600 cartridge thats got a USB port that flips out of the side. Maybe he can make that USB port doube purpose and so then you can put it in your mouth and blow on it and it turns the cart into a whistle kinda a thing. And like if you blow it, it makes a deep long viking "ree-ko-laaa" sound that awakens a great wind which summens the power of the bushnell to defeat like a kingdom or something.

Yeah or Groovy could just work a Whistle into one of his awesome video games. THat would be good too, I'd be okay with that. And maybe a Steve Wiebe character who has to rescue a captive Walter Day from the grasp of Donkey Mitchell. Whistle is good.

• Like 1