IGNORED

E3

Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo.. doesn't matter. Don't name "good" things, list what really made you giddy...pre-order a year in advance giddy. What made you so excited that you felt like you did when you were a kid and a new game or console came out, this E3?

To narrow it down, mine could only be the following:

Playstation Move (specifically for Mortal Kombat and Sorcery)

GT 5

Twisted Metal PS3

Nintendo 3DS (I'm still iffy on it, but the thought of playing Starfox 64 in 3D made me EXTREMELY happy. Now if only they had 3D F-Zero X.. I'd buy this system day one!)

Dead Space 2 (never played the first.. but that's just how much this gameplay impressed me. Holy Cow I want DS2!)

Portal 2

That's about it. I'm happy about many games and what not, but these are what I really couldn't live without from E3.

How about you guys?

The biggest E3 announcements I really wasn't too interested in. (Kinect/Move)

I'll have to admit the 3DS is intriguing and I'm not even a HUGE hand held fan.

Will be keeping my eye on that. Heck I'll probably get it come Xmas since I doubt I'll be getting a motion controller.

Games I'm psyched for:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Loved the first one, second one was just ok, I'm really hoping this new one takes after the first!)

Portal 2 (Gonna be awesome)

Mortal Kombat (Definitely made me look twice)

the new mortal kombat is looking good, seems like they rediscovered what made the series fun.

dead space 2 is looking good.

one thing i must say is that there were honestly too many fps' and shooters shown, they're all blending together. just off the top of my head i can name cod, killzone, halo, spec ops, xcom, medal of honor, bulletstorm, bodycount, the conduit 2, and battlefield bad company vietnam. that's with literally not even having to think about it. even front mission is a shooter now. i can't even get excited about an fps anymore unless it's strictly story driven ala xcom, homefront or metro 2033. xcom does look sick even though i'm sure it pissed a few people off.

heres xcom-

vanquish is one i'm keeping my eye on-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOkr4YqZAME

the 3DS looks absolutely insane, i can't wait until demo units go out so i can see it for myself.

Edited by xg4bx

Just got home - here are some quick impressions:

Nintendo 3DS is full of win if people actual make non-gimmicky games for it.

Playstation 3-3D is fail. It seems gimmicky and I'd much rather play without it.

Playstation 3 move controller? Who gives a fuck? "This changes NOTHING."

Wii - After spending a day playing all of the upcoming Wii games and having to use that shitty controller and looking at it's shitty graphics on HD monitors, I can truly say that I hate the Wii. No one should make real games for this thing that don't have fully graphically enabled "parent games" on the real game consoles.

I played four different Sonic games, and the best one was Sonic Adventure which was originally released in 1999. The worst one, by far, is "Sonic 4," which is complete and utter bullshit, and plays and feels NOTHING like the OG Sonic games from which it takes its namesake. I have a lot more to say about this later.

"Homefront" impressed the hell out of me. The game seamlessly integrates the story and plot into the game's action. It's not the standard FPS game play that'll make you want to play it, it's the awesome story from the creator of Red Dawn. This game is Day One.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5yyWZ2Z6Ps

"Fable 3" brings back the fun from the first one that was cut from the second one. Most notably spells can ether be instant, a la "Fable 1," or they can be slowly charged up, a la "Fable 2."

Oh, and the new "Castlevania" game is fun as hell.

Edit:

And I still hate LA. Glad we got out of there before they started lighting cars on fire.

Edited by Rev. Rob

GUYS. LISTEN UP.

I will request this thread to be locked if people continue to state what they hate. This IS NOT, and I repeat, NOT a thread for you to trash talk things you DONT like at E3. Take it somewhere else.

This thread was to deviate from the horrible hateful and fanboyistic posts that have been going around. It is childish. This is a place to talk about what you love, and that's it.

If you can't follow the topic of the thread, which is a calm thread, only talking about what you truly loved, then I'll have your post removed or the thread locked if it goes on any further. Don't like it? Don't post!

• Like 2

GUYS. LISTEN UP.

I will request this thread to be locked if people continue to state what they hate. This IS NOT, and I repeat, NOT a thread for you to trash talk things you DONT like at E3. Take it somewhere else.

This thread was to deviate from the horrible hateful and fanboyistic posts that have been going around. It is childish. This is a place to talk about what you love, and that's it.

If you can't follow the topic of the thread, which is a calm thread, only talking about what you truly loved, then I'll have your post removed or the thread locked if it goes on any further. Don't like it? Don't post!

Wow, that was rather annoying.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 6

GUYS. LISTEN UP.

Wow, that was rather annoying.

So was this. I'm not going to stand by and watch my thread be shit on in the first 5 minutes. Sorry.

Just got home - here are some quick impressions:

Nintendo 3DS is full of win if people actual make non-gimmicky games for it.

Playstation 3-3D is fail. It seems gimmicky and I'd much rather play without it.

Playstation 3 move controller? Who gives a fuck? "This changes NOTHING."

Wii - After spending a day playing all of the upcoming Wii games and having to use that shitty controller and looking at it's shitty graphics on HD monitors, I can truly say that I hate the Wii. No one should make real games for this thing that don't have fully graphically enabled "parent games" on the real game consoles.

I played four different Sonic games, and the best one was Sonic Adventure which was originally released in 1999. The worst one, by far, is "Sonic 4," which is complete and utter bullshit, and plays and feels NOTHING like the OG Sonic games from which it takes its namesake. I have a lot more to say about this later.

"Homefront" impressed the hell out of me. The game seamlessly integrates the story and plot into the game's action. It's not the standard FPS game play that'll make you want to play it, it's the awesome story from the creator of Red Dawn. This game is Day One.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5yyWZ2Z6Ps

"Fable 3" brings back the fun from the first one that was cut from the second one. Most notably spells can ether be instant, a la "Fable 1," or they can be slowly charged up, a la "Fable 2."

Oh, and the new "Castlevania" game is fun as hell.

Edit:

And I still hate LA. Glad we got out of there before they started lighting cars on fire.

Donkey Kong Returns and Golden Eye for the Wii are must haves for me.

Crysis 2 I can't wait to get my hands on!!!

While I'm no fan of Cliffy B... or Dude Huge or whatever name he is going by this week.... Bulletstorm looks absolutely 100% amazing and FUN!

I think Killzone 3 looked incredible.

Before E3, I had NO interest in Epic Mickey. But after watching the Nintendo briefing, there is a 97.6% chance this game will end up in my house.

While Medal of Honor looks too similar to Modern Warfare 2 (especially the multi-player), there is a good chance I'll buy the PS3 version so that I can play HD Frontline. Same goes for Dead Space 2 so that i can play Extraction.

There are some others I have interest in, but the above titles are the ones that really grabbed my attention.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

GT5 looks really good and should raise the bar on the entire genre. Once the interviews and hands-on impressions came out, I started planning on pre-ordering.

3ds is something that I think I'll like very much. They already have physical units being shown off, so I don't think it's too far away. I need to see it myself, so it's not a first day purchase for me (unless demo units arrive at stores early).

Portal was quite an experience, and I'm glad I'll be able to use my ps3 to enjoy the next in the series. I don't know when it's coming out, but since I got the orange box for $20, I'll probably wait for portal 2 to hit that price. Not cutting on the game at all, it's just an experience that I've already had, so it can wait a bit.

I guess I'm pretty excited about the 3DS. It'll be a day one purchase for me even though I know they're going to come up with better iterations shortly afterward. I just bought a DSi XL too.. I'm such a sucker for Nintendo :(

I'll probably end up getting a 3DS eventually but I'll be able to hold off for the later iterations.

Pac-Man Vs. - Mini Review

I love Pac-Man... and Ms. Pac-Man. Who doesn't, right? At E3 Bandai Namco were luring people to their booth with the promise of free Pac-Man lanyards. For those who've never been to an E3, free stuff that will last longer than the weekend is a big draw. However, Pac-Man Vs. is a game that stands on its own merit. According to the booth guy, it'll start appearing in on all three major consoles various consoles, and in arcades, that's right friends, it's a real coin-op, by the end of 2010. Sadly, it was the only coin-op at E3.

I can go on about the decline of the arcade industry for a while longer, but let's talk about the gameplay. So, there are four simultaneous players, and five levels. The objective of the game is to be the last Pac standing. The mazes start out small and increase in size and complexity after each level. The mechanics are pretty familiar to anyone who's ever played Pac-Man, (or who was on Google recently). Here's the rundown: After all initial pellets are consumed, three power pellets will appear. Power pellets increase Pac-Man in size and make players immune to ghosts; they cannot be eaten. The twist is that any other player who doesn't have a power pellet is turned blue and can be eaten.

Any two players of equal status who come into contact will crash into each other and be repelled in opposite directions. This is a great strategy for killing an opponent. They can be bumped into a ghost, or into another player who has a power pellet. There is no credit given for kills. A win is only achieved by being the last player left, so there's no harm done in helping one opponent kill another.

The game is purely awesome and I expect most people who play it to fall in love. This is exactly what needs to be in every arcade, bar, school, restaurant, and living room in the country.

E3 2010 Sonic the Hedgehog Wrap-up

There were four Sonic games on display by Sega, a developer who I'll always have affection for, although it may be for purely nostalgic reasons anymore. They are Sonic Colors for both the Wii and the DS, the much anticipated Sonic the Hedgehog 4, and Sonic Adventure, the Dreamcast classic (and by far the best 3D Sonic game to date).

I remember when Sonic Adventure first came out on 9.9.99 and many gamers, some of my friends included, complained that the game seems to play itself. I never really agreed with that sentiment. Now, if someone were to say that to me about Sonic Colors for the Wii, I wouldn't argue. It was literally impossible to die. Hold one direction, go that direction, the game plays for you. Which is a good thing, because the Matrix inspired cinematic camera angles change angle and distance so frequently that if you really were in control, you'd be totally dead within seconds.

At several points I actually tried to jump off narrow paths that are suspended way up in the air. No such luck. Death is not allowed. Eventually I held down the direction and let it run without doing anything. I was doing very well until Sonic got stuck in a hole from which there was no way out. I hope they fix that before the final release.

What I played of the DS version of Colors was good. Like previous releases on Nintendo handhelds, this is the closest to old school 16-bit Sonic action that we're going to get. It's too easy and there's no emphasis on exploring, but I felt the same about other recent 2D Sonic games and was still able to enjoy them.

So let's get right down to it, Sonic the Hedgehog 4. It has "4" right in the title. This is the spiritual successor to the masterpiece that was Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles. It's a brilliant idea! Reboot the franchise with a great 2D game. After all, Sonic was born of only two dimensions, and since stepping into the third, he hasn't done well since his Dreamcast days.

Sonic 4 was one of the first games I played. I, more than anyone, wanted this game to succeed - to be everything that the franchise used to be. As I waited to take the controls there was only one person in line in front of me. On the very first level I watched as he tried to jump up a series of moving blocks that are flanked by walls on either side. Over and over, and over again he biffs it. "What a n00b," I thought shaking my head with impatience. After all, how can anyone really fuck that up? What's this clown's problem?

After eight or nine more attempts he finally gave up and it was my turn. I started from the beginning. At the loading screen players enjoy one of the original sprites of Sonic running in all of his Genesis glory. The game starts. The character sprites are too big, but I can get past that, it's no big deal. Sonic's spin animation is a perfect sphere instead of a furious oval. A pretty glaring oversight, but I can get past that too. But it didn't take me more than a minute to discover the fatal flaw that destroys this game, which is the same reason why the fellow in front of me couldn't perform a simple task like jumping on blocks.

You see, unlike in every other 2D Sonic game where the trajectory of Sonic as he flies through the air can be controlled based on the angle of the jump, and Sonic continues on that trajectory unless acted upon by another force, such as a wall, enemy, or the player's will. Not so in Sonic 4. Oh no, in this game you have to continuously hold down the D-pad for Sonic to continue to jump or fall in the desired direction. This makes precision platforming impossible. If it weren't for the enemy target system that game uses then it would be unplayable.

Let's talk about the target system. This is where when Sonic jumps while in the air, then he'll lock on to the nearest enemy, spring, or item and attack it. Where was this feature in Sonic 3? That's right, it wasn't freaking there. Sonic 3 had a much more innovative air jump system that performed different functions based on what shield you had (or didn't have). Targeting wasn't introduced until Sonic 3D Blast, and that's only because the game used isometric psudo-3D graphics, and it's difficult to perfectly nail a hit in 3D. It's even a welcome feature in Sonic Adventure, again because it's a 3D game. However, in 2D, it's not needed. It takes away from the whole Sonic experience.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is not successor to the numerically titled games that came before it. It's more closely related to the Sonic Rush games than anything else. It's Sega best effort in nine years to make a good Sonic game that's actually fun, but the control decisions prevent that aspiration from coming to fruition. Fellow Sonic fans, brace for yet another disappointment.

At least they had Sonic Adventure at the show. I know it came out in the US in 1999. It's dated, but the frame rate has improved and the graphics have been cleaned up some. Out of the four games bearing the Sonic name at E3 this year, the Dreamcast launch title was by far the best of the bunch.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

It's Sega best effort in nine years to make a good Sonic game that's actually fun, but the control decisions prevent that aspiration from coming to fruition. Fellow Sonic fans, brace for yet another disappointment.

I didn't really want to hear that.

Squeal like a pig, hedgehog.

I was hoping they'd at least make Sonic 4 as good as those 'sonic advance' games were. I liked those.

Edited by Reaperman

That last fatality made me squirm and laugh at the same time haha. Seriously, Mortal Kombat looks amazing. What looks like some muddy textures in some places, but it's still in development. Hopefully that will be addressed. But otherwise, it's about time another great fighter came along. I wasn't a big fan of Street Fighter 4 or Soul Calibur 4 (both ruined my love for their series) so hopefully with Mortal Kombat and Marve VS Capcom 3, I can have some great fighters again.

That last fatality made me squirm and laugh at the same time haha. Seriously, Mortal Kombat looks amazing. What looks like some muddy textures in some places, but it's still in development. Hopefully that will be addressed. But otherwise, it's about time another great fighter came along. I wasn't a big fan of Street Fighter 4 or Soul Calibur 4 (both ruined my love for their series) so hopefully with Mortal Kombat and Marve VS Capcom 3, I can have some great fighters again.

It played just like MvC2, but with characters that look more like SF4.

At least they had Sonic Adventure at the show. I know it came out in the US in 1999. It's dated, but the frame rate has improved and the graphics have been cleaned up some. Out of the four games bearing the Sonic name at E3 this year, the Dreamcast launch title was by far the best of the bunch.

What is Sonic Adventure being released on, or was it just on display for shits 'n giggles?

Edited by Austin

What is Sonic Adventure being released on, or was it just on display for shits 'n giggles?

XBL and PSN.

They had some Sega guys walking around in t-shirts that said "Look who's back" on the front with a DC swirl, and on the back it said, "Dreamcast - September 2010" with the logo.