IGNORED

Intellivision ECS Prototype

SNK

Hi all! I think I have interesting stuff here.

I have the European version of the In tellivision ECS (in Europe called "Computer Adaptor"), it is the brown one. As you know, this version of the ECS is much more rare than the white American version.

When I searched for more information about it, I found some interesting differences between the official version and mine. I have made some pics of mine and the normal versions:

Here you can see the the both systems, US in white and EU in brown.

US-Version----------EU-Version

Now lets compare mine with the standart brown European version:

standard keyboard----------Prototype

standard keyboard (backside)----------Prototype (backside)

standard Computer Adaptor----------Prototype

As you can see my keyboard has a red line, which exists normaly for the US-version only. Also the back of the keyboard has another structure: the screws have another position and the electric cable has another exit position.

In addition to that there is a black circle stamp, I dont know what it means.

Next the Computer Adaptor: it has the same consturction as normal. But have a look at the sticker. It says, that its made in the USA, but the information branded in the plastic says "HONK KONG". Also there is 240 V for european electricity and 50 HZ for PAL TVs. Why was it made in USA? The next point is the note, written with a pen "LOAD OK" then a personal sign and a date "30.9.82" (some month before it released).

At last there is that black circle stamp too, like on the keyboard.

stamp----------sticker on Computer Adaptor

Do you have any idea, what it is? Is it a Prototype or something like that?

I never have seen it before and everyone I asked didnt see it before too.

Thanks!

Greetings

Edited by SNK

Nobody has an idea? I really want to know that. Or dont you understand my bad english? Sorry for that ;)

So when you dont know, what you think it could be?

And maybe you can tell me another forum or persons I can ask.

I would be glad, if you help me with anything.

Thanks!

Nobody has an idea? I really want to know that. Or dont you understand my bad english? Sorry for that ;)

I would be glad, if you help me with anything.

Thanks!

You can try over at Intellivision World (www.intellivisionworld.com). You certainly may have a prototype or early production model (i.e., a model that was repurposed for overseas), but it's difficult to tell.

Intellivisionworld is almost a dead community and they dont let new "collector"-members in ;) But thanks for your help!

Its hard to find information, when nobody knwos this version. And because nobody knows it, it isnt interesting for someone. But I want change that ^^

Edited by SNK

SNK: if you're italia then I suggest you to look for a RETROGAMING (... ;) ) site and ask in there !!!

Grazie, il mio amico. Non parlo italiano ;)

But can you tell me any special italian site? Then I'll try it with a translator and maybe some italian can help me... better than they can play football :-p Scusa!

edit: Now I have another hint (found it on an italian site ;)) The power adaptor! Normally any power adaptor has a test seal, but not mine. This confirms an early use than the ECS was released and was not yet tested for a release in Europe. Other people could confirm that, because their power adaptor are different labeled. So the note on the ECS with the date "30.9.82" could be true and make sense.

What do you think @ all forum-user?

Edited by SNK

• 5 months later...

Hi, here are the missing pics. I also add some new pics, where you can see some more differnces.

-normal keyboard (backside)-------------demonstration model (backside)

Look at the different structure and missing sticker.

-normal computer adaptor (backside)------------ demonstration model (backside)

Look at the different stickers and the text written on the demonstration model.

And here are some more pics. I opened my adaptor and keyboard and found some more differences:

-open keyboard

Before I opened the keyboard I thought the red line could be a fake paint, but when I looked inside I saw its factory painted.

-open adaptor

The left one is my demonstration model, the right the normal. In my model there is an extra port build in, it was for the planed but canceled Expansion Pack. This isn't build in in all other european adaptors.

-computer adaptor port

Here you can see the open port for the Expansion Pack. all version does have this, but the most are blocked with glue.

-normal power adaptor---------demonstration model power adaptor

Here are the different power adaptors. The one of the demonstration model doesn't have any safety certificate. Mabe because it was not designated for official use.

By the way: my European model is a German model. I also have the manuals, one in german and one in english.

Edited by SNK

Why would a proto have QC stamps on it? I would think that QC would only inspect production models before they went out the door and not pre-production prototypes.

And what makes you think it's factory painted with the red? Anyone can open something up and apply paint at some point. I would also think they would be a little more careful about the overspray if it was done at the factory.

Edited by OldAtarian

Why would a proto have QC stamps on it? I would think that QC would only inspect production models before they went out the door and not pre-production prototypes.

And what makes you think it's factory painted with the red? Anyone can open something up and apply paint at some point. I would also think they would be a little more careful about the overspray if it was done at the factory.

Sorry, don't understand exactly what you mean.

But as I wrote in the posting before, I'm sure now it isn't a prototype. I have got some help from different boards all over the world and all came to the conclusion it's neither a proto nor a public System. In addition to that some German collectors sent me some promotion catalouge pics, where you can see the red striped Computer Adaptor. But it was never released. So it's one out of many other facts, that my model seems to be a demonstration model (independend of a fake-paint or not).

My big problem is to find someone, who has safty information about it. Everybody can tell me, that it's not a standard model, but nobody can tell me what it can be else.

So my assumption is a demonstration model.

I dont think the right people have seen your question here yet. There are a lot of Intellivision folks here, but they are probably not looking at the "Prototypes" subforum. Move or just post and copy the text of your first post to the Intellivision / Aquarius subforum and see what answers you get...Morgan

I dont think the right people have seen your question here yet. There are a lot of Intellivision folks here, but they are probably not looking at the "Prototypes" subforum. Move or just post and copy the text of your first post to the Intellivision / Aquarius subforum and see what answers you get...Morgan

Who are these "right people"? ;) I have tried to contact some people who worked for Intellivision back in the 80s, for example the Blue Sky Rangers. Also some other programmers like Joe Zbiciak and some hardcore collectors. All of them couldn't help me. The programmers maybe do not have much to do with the intellivision hardware, but they are the only ones who had connections to Mattel Intellivision. It seems to be hopeless to find someone, who can help me.

Edited by SNK

Sorry, don't understand exactly what you mean.

But as I wrote in the posting before, I'm sure now it isn't a prototype. I have got some help from different boards all over the world and all came to the conclusion it's neither a proto nor a public System. In addition to that some German collectors sent me some promotion catalouge pics, where you can see the red striped Computer Adaptor. But it was never released. So it's one out of many other facts, that my model seems to be a demonstration model (independend of a fake-paint or not).

My big problem is to find someone, who has safty information about it. Everybody can tell me, that it's not a standard model, but nobody can tell me what it can be else.

So my assumption is a demonstration model.

I mean those round stamps with the letters QC inside them. QC means Quality Control. It means the item has been inspected for defects prior to shipping. If it was a prototype, it wouldn't have had to pass through normal quality control checks because it was never meant to be sold.

I mean those round stamps with the letters QC inside them. QC means Quality Control. It means the item has been inspected for defects prior to shipping. If it was a prototype, it wouldn't have had to pass through normal quality control checks because it was never meant to be sold.

Ah ok, now I know what you mean! Thanks! I didn't know the meaning of the stamp :) Maybe the QC stamp has something to do with the hand written note on it "LOAD OK" and the date "30.9.82"

But why aren't used theses stamps for the other systems too? But this is one fact more for my demonstartion model-theory. Maybe it was made for demonstrations at the first presentation in Germany. It was in July 1982, maybe it was given away after the trade fair.