IGNORED

Sega EVERDRIVE Flash Cart Official Mass Order Thread

Anybody know anything about region patching ROMs? I would like to play Golden Axe III with my Everdrive...

Here's a region patch that I just generated that should work against the original Japan rom. You just need a simple utility to apply the IPS file against the rom, something like LunarIPS should work fine.

Stuff like ucon can be used for region patching but it gets a bit involved. If you just want Golden Axe III this is an easy way :)

Golden Axe III.region patch.zip

so after finally hooking up my genesis (version 1) and inserting the everdrive for the first time, i get nothing but a black screen. i removed the shell to see if if there was a connection problem but i still get a black screen. there is a brand new unformatted 2GB SD card in the slot. tried it with no SD card. also stuck in a regular game which started up fine.

:(

edit: finally got it to work ONCE, long enough to format the SD card.

Edited by bomberpunk

Thanks for posting that, remo. I'm not sure what other Japanese-exclusive games I want that have region issues. I already have Pulseman and it works fine. The only other game that I can think of is Bare Knuckle 3, and I haven't tried to play that one yet.

Chris

Weird, the Everdrive automatically applied the region patch for me. The only thing I couldn't play were European games and that's because they were PAL. Which OS were you using on the card?

Cliff, the ever drive has a region patcher that is automatic, unless you turn it off. That will work with some games, where the region coding is not buried in the ROM (basically header only).

You can use a Game Genie to bypass the region code for some games, too. http://codehut.gshi.org/RegionalBypassGG.txt One thing to remember is that PAL games from Europe may run slow on NTSC machines.

Thanks for that file though Remo, I'll have to give it a shot.

Cliff, the ever drive has a region patcher that is automatic, unless you turn it off. That will work with some games, where the region coding is not buried in the ROM (basically header only).

Exactly, the auto header patcher doesn't work in this case. So while I'm at it here's a patch for the European version of Xenon II. ;)

Xenon 2 Megablast.ips.zip

Maybe I should try a different version of the ROM. How do you set up the Everdrive to apply patches? I looked through the menu system but must have missed it.

P.S. Shouldn't we have an Everdrive thread going in the Classic Gaming forum or something?

Chris

I am not positive about this, so I apologize if this is wrong, but I think what you do is download the OS update to your SD card, put it into the everdrive, then have it load it into the everdrive from the update function in the OS. you can get the OS files (and other stuff for the everdrive) at http://krikzz.com/ Hope this helps.

Cliff

I am not positive about this, so I apologize if this is wrong, but I think what you do is download the OS update to your SD card, put it into the everdrive, then have it load it into the everdrive from the update function in the OS. you can get the OS files (and other stuff for the everdrive) at http://krikzz.com/ Hope this helps.

Yes, thats it in a nutshell. The OS updates are done from SD card, but firmware updates require special JTAG hardware.

I was asking how you set up the Everdrive to apply a region patch to a game, not how to update the OS of the Everdrive. Sorry if I was not clear.

In the Everdrive menu under options - region patch:on/off

It's an auto header patcher, you can't apply anything else to a file inside the Everdrive.

I was asking how you set up the Everdrive to apply a region patch to a game, not how to update the OS of the Everdrive. Sorry if I was not clear.

Chris

I'm pretty sure you pre-patch the game with that software mentioned above. Then you can play it on the Everdrive.

AX

I understand that to patch that specific game, I just use the patch provided by Remo. I was asking about auto-patching games with the everdrive. Remo answered my question.

Chris

Finally got around to testing it and it seems to work great. Formatting the SD card was easy, and it reads .bin games well (Unfortuantely, no SMD support). I tried three games. One was glitchy, but I guess that may be the ROM? The other two games worked flawlessly. Still need to cut up a cart to give it a proper casing, though..

Can the roms be saved to the SD without the .bin extension and still work?

The menu would be alot cleaner if it could. Just wondering.

Only one way to find out :ponder:

In other news... All everdrives from this thread are officially out the door.

So far the everdrive seems vastly compatible. We started out with one of those mass packets with something like 2,400 titles (nearly 2,000 being sonic hacks :rolling: ) and have been weeding out the crap. Down from 2.4GB in files to 768MB, I must say that I am surprised that 90% + even the hacks and imports run, and well. You know I had to try all the homebrews and hacks just because I could. Personally, it seems silly to try and have all the games you could on the thing "just because." What a mess to wade through. When it's done being set up I think I may sort it the same way I collect them. All the black box, red box, taito, renovation, etc... It is nice having access to my vast collection though it is physically currently in storage. My son and I made it to level 5 on Toejam and Earl last night before he let big Earl pass away (boogy man got him) not too bad for his first time (he is 6).

AX

Yeah, this thing is great! I was having trouble with some SMS games, and it turned out that OS v.13 broke some of them. Igor rolled out a new OS update (v.14) that fixed the issue, within hours of my reporting the problem. Can't beat that!

Otherwise, just about everything I've tried has worked perfectly, including 32X games. A few imports needed manual patching/hex editing, but that's easy enough to do. I haven't tried the CD BIOS replacement yet for playing Japanese Mega CD games, but it's no big deal if that doesn't happen.

BTW, thanks again to AX for all his efforts in putting this together. We should do this again sometime...perhaps somewhere around the time that Igor releases the SNES version of the Everdrive? :)

Edited by thegoldenband

Ax were you keeping any kind of documentation on what games worked? I'd like to have that! As for BIN/SMD, Krikzz has a converter on his website.

By the way, do you all know there is a Wolfenstein 32X game? Created by Chilly Willy of the SEGA-16 forum. Works if you turn off SRAM in the Everdrive menu first.

Edited by Greg2600

Can the roms be saved to the SD without the .bin extension and still work?

They've worked fine for me without the .bin extension.

Has anyone else had a problem with slightly corrupted file names? Every now and then when I save a file to the SD card, a portion of another game name on the card will appear at the end of the title, along the lines of "Sonic the Hedgehogstar Heroes", to make up an example. Renaming the file usually hasn't worked for me.

In a momentary flash of stupidity I've killed my Everdrive. :(

I had the bare Everdrive PCB in my Genesis for a couple days, setting up my SD card and playing with no problems. Today I tried to remove the Everdrive to fit it into a cart shell BUT I forgot to push the cart slot covers open before removing the PCB. Pulled the Everdrive up and the cart slot covers popped off one of the Everdrive's chips. Didn't take very much pressure. It's a surface mount chip with lots of tiny legs, so nothing I can repair myself.

So... a couple months of waiting, 3 days of Everdrive, and I have to order a replacement and wait again... 100% my fault but figured I'd post as a warning in case anyone else is using just the bare PCB right now.

EDIT: Igor's going to take my maimed Everdrive back and give me a discounted replacement. :)

Edited by boog

I had the bare Everdrive PCB in my Genesis for a couple days, setting up my SD card and playing with no problems. Today I tried to remove the Everdrive to fit it into a cart shell BUT I forgot to push the cart slot covers open before removing the PCB. Pulled the Everdrive up and the cart slot covers popped off one of the Everdrive's chips. Didn't take very much pressure. It's a surface mount chip with lots of tiny legs, so nothing I can repair myself.

So... a couple months of waiting, 3 days of Everdrive, and I have to order a replacement and wait again... 100% my fault but figured I'd post as a warning in case anyone else is using just the bare PCB right now.

That is really a shame. Contact Krikzz directly and see if he can't fix it for you for a few bucks. He is a really nice guy and I have dealt with him before on a different issue.

That is really a shame. Contact Krikzz directly and see if he can't fix it for you for a few bucks. He is a really nice guy and I have dealt with him before on a different issue.

yeah, my Everdrive has a similar problem. i had to line it up crooked in the slot for it to work. Igor told me that one or two of the contacts need repair. all he asked me to do was send it to him so he can repair it. now i'm on a SMS rom hunt while i'm waiting. :D

I got mine a few weeks ago! Thanks AX for all the hard work.

and on a side note... BF2142 that it came in works great online! Anyone else playing this sweet PC game?

PM me if you want to get a big game going... since we all have it now because of AX =) Thanks again bro man!

-Retromangia

Edited by retromangia

I got mine a few weeks ago! Thanks AX for all the hard work.

and on a side note... BF2142 that it came in works great online! Anyone else playing this sweet PC game?

PM me if you want to get a big game going... since we all have it now because of AX =) Thanks again bro man!

-Retromangia

I haven't yet, I've been meaning to install it in the very near future. I have been enjoying Minecraft. :)

I need to do what Ax did. Weed out the games I'm never going to play, throw a bunch of favorites on, and enjoy it.