IGNORED

SOLD: POKEY Chips

jaybird3rd

UPDATE: All POKEY boards have now been sold. Thanks, everyone!

bbcarts.jpg

I've got another batch of one hundred POKEYs that I'm offering for sale. These are new circuit boards pulled from 7800 BallBlazer cartridges, each of which contain a soldered POKEY chip. So, if you're looking for an inexpensive POKEY to use in your Atari 400/800/XL/XE computer as a replacement part or for a stereo upgrade, or if you're looking for one to use with your 7800 Cuttle Cart 2 or XBoard, simply desolder these chips and save money instead of buying new POKEYs (which typically go for $10 each or more).

I'm offering these for $1.25 each. Shipping will be in a small USPS flat-rate box: $4.95 for the continental US, $11.45 to Canada, and $13.45 for international shipping. I can fit up to sixteen whole boards in a box; if you wish to order more, let me know and I can cut the boards and ship only the top POKEY portion (this lets me fit about 44 chips in a box). If you only want a few, I can use a "bubbleope" (with adequate protection) to save on shipping.

Keep an eye on this first post; I will update it with the quantities remaining, and will post a notice when all the boards have been claimed.

PM me if you're interested, and thanks!

EDIT: I've received requests for all 100 boards, so I'm suspending the acceptance of new orders for now. I've responded via PM to everyone who has expressed interest so far, and if any of these fall through, I'll update this post accordingly. Thanks very much!

UPDATE: All POKEY boards have now been sold. Thanks, everyone!

Not a question related to the POKEY chips, but I'm curious: What is that 3.5" floppy in the drive, with an official Atari XE label? Hmmmmm??

Heh ... I didn't even notice that the disk was in the picture! It's just an Atari-looking disk label that I designed for myself, to go with my 720K XF551. I think it looks especially good on a genuine Atari 3.5-inch diskette! :)

• 9 years later...
2 hours ago, jamye boyd said:

I bought my husband an atari 5200 and the seller told me that i would need a pokey card in order for it to have sound and for the controllers to work.. What kind do I need and is that what you are selling?  Thanks for your time..

Wait, you were sold a 5200 without the Pokey chip in it? 5200 won't work without one so that isn't normally how one should sell a 5200. There are options but for a 5200, you need an actual Pokey chip.

I will send you a PM about this...

3 hours ago, jamye boyd said:

I bought my husband an atari 5200 and the seller told me that i would need a pokey card in order for it to have sound and for the controllers to work.. What kind do I need and is that what you are selling?  Thanks for your time..

Apparently not good at Internet forum, either.  The last post to this thread was 10 years ago!

That said, yeah, what ol' CrossBow said above.

16 hours ago, mattsoft said:

and here I was getting excited about $1.25 POKEY chips in 2020! :)

I only wish I still had that many POKEY chips to offer at that price!  Those Ballblazer carts were from one of the last O'Shea lots, and in retrospect I probably let them go a little on the cheap side, but I wasn't interested in making a huge margin on them.  My main concern was getting them in the hands of people who could put them to use.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2020 at 3:04 PM, jamye boyd said:

The POKEY is one of the chips inside the 5200 console, and as the others said, it is very strange that you would be sold a console without it (unless the previous owner decided to remove the chip beforehand, in which case they did not sell you a complete console).  The POKEY chips that I was selling would have worked as replacements, but they are all long since gone, and they would have had to be extracted from their circuit boards first.

There are a number of vendors who still sell loose POKEY chips that you can install in your 5200 console as a replacement, if that is indeed what it needs.  Feel free to post in the 5200 forum if you need help finding or installing a POKEY chip; I'm sure that the people there would love to help you get your 5200 working.  You'll probably have to open your console anyway, since the 5200 often requires a certain amount of servicing and tweaking to get it back to working condition; I own three 5200s myself, so I know the process well!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jamye boyd said:

Thank you everyone. All this insight is very helpful. I am going to take what you all said to my son and have him help me figure out what to do next. I do appreciate it..  these forum sights are awesome!!!!

Glad to be of help!  If you have any questions, let us know; that's why we're here!

(Just be sure you post your questions in the 5200 forum that I linked to earlier, since that's where they are most likely to be noticed and answered!)

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 4:04 PM, jamye boyd said:

There's a chance also that the 5200 has a Pokey and the seller didn't know what he was talking about. I would open it up and check first, or just try a cart and see if there's sound.