IGNORED

Private Eye - Max points

Razzie.P

I'm working on mapping and completing Private Eye. that game kicked my butt a bit as a kid, so now I figure I'll get revenge. But... no working so well yet ;)

On game 2, it seems there's a maximum of 101,600 point that "should" be attainable. But there doesn't seem to be enough time. I can barely find all the stuff, snag Henry, and make it back to the station with a couple of seconds MINUS one guy (300 points) Has anyone gotten the max points on game 2? I'm starting to think that maybe that extra guy is thrown in there as a red herring and may be impossible to snag all points PLUS Henry.

If anyone has achieved this, any tips you can spare?

Thanks!

I'm working on mapping and completing Private Eye. that game kicked my butt a bit as a kid, so now I figure I'll get revenge. But... no working so well yet ;)

On game 2, it seems there's a maximum of 101,600 point that "should" be attainable. But there doesn't seem to be enough time. I can barely find all the stuff, snag Henry, and make it back to the station with a couple of seconds MINUS one guy (300 points) Has anyone gotten the max points on game 2? I'm starting to think that maybe that extra guy is thrown in there as a red herring and may be impossible to snag all points PLUS Henry.

If anyone has achieved this, any tips you can spare?

Thanks!

I can't help much, I'm afraid, but I wanted to echo on how much fun this game is! I never played most of Activisions late releases, as I had gone on to computers by then. I finally played this on the Anthology collection they put out on the PS2 some years ago. Really unique game for it's time and challenging as well. I made it to the final mission but never could beat it. I'm not even sure it's possible. :P

If you've mapped it and still failed, I doubt there are any tricks that can help. The second case is by far the tightest for time of the five, and the map is very linear. There aren't many interconnections and so no shortcuts can be taken.

It might not be a red herring though. Remember that case five includes the maps for the first four cases. The map is huge and sprawling, but the time allocated is fairly generous given how many shortcuts are possible. You may not be able to get full points in case 2, but I'd guess it's possible to get that last guy and get full points in case 5.

I'm amazed that I managed to finish case 5 without mapping as a kid. No way could I do that now! When I played it last I needed to map case 4 to finish it, and it's only half as big.

Private Eye is similar to Pitfall strategy wise.I made maps and figured out the short cuts to be able to complete on time, just like in pitfall, although I've never completed Pitfall with the perfect score.I've only managed to master case #1 for Private Eye so far.

Edited by Rik

I think I've just proven that it "can" be done.

I played via Emulator to use the save states to see if it's even possible, and yep, by playing the perfect game, never slowing the car for a moment, I made it back to the station with 1 second left.

So basically game 2 needs to be played with darn near superhuman perfection for max points. Piece of cake, huh? :ponder:

I'll come here to toot a little if I manage to do it for real. Then it's on to game 3.

I played via Emulator to use the save states to see if it's even possible, and yep, by playing the perfect game, never slowing the car for a moment, I made it back to the station with 1 second left.

So basically game 2 needs to be played with darn near superhuman perfection for max points. Piece of cake, huh? :ponder:

And for all those who don't have the patience to play it, perhaps Thomas Jentz can put another perfect game together using his hacked Z26 emulator - like he did for Pitfall. That would be awesome...

I spent some time today browsing TASVideos, with the usual mixture of amusement and astonishment that that site brings me (the Family Feud one is particularly funny). Reading this thread it strikes me that (a) the VCS is woefully underrepresented there -- as in not at all! -- and (b) Private Eye would be absolutely perfect for that site.

And for all those who don't have the patience to play it, perhaps Thomas Jentz can put another perfect game together using his hacked Z26 emulator - like he did for Pitfall. That would be awesome...

Actually, I manage to do it this evening on actual hardware :D Well, I used a 7800 instead of 2600, if that matters. I uploaded it to youtube in case anyone wants to check it out. Not sure why the video quality got so crappy after the upload though. Looks fine on my computer, but the youtube version looks heavily compressed. There is a message though, that video quality may improve once processing completes, so maybe it's a temp thing. Anyways, enjoy!

StanJr did the hard work of mapping out the game and writing a guide. They are hosted on his site that he linked to earlier in the thread. I put the two together into a Microsoft Word *.doc file so you can print it out and have the guide and images handy if you like.

Please note that this is Stan's work. I just put the two together to make referencing the guide and maps a little more convenient.

Private Eye guide.zip